Surefire 6P best multi-mode led upgrade?

DonWerner

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a multi-mode led for my Surefire 6P. Needs to has atleast high and low beam. Been looking thru the dropin sticky thread, but there's so many different ones to choose from, it's really hard to figure out which one to buy. If someone could recommend one (for use with 2 x AW CR123 - 3.7V batteries) that would be much appreciated.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you expand on your needs, application, user interface requirements, how low of a Low mode do you need, etc?

If you are satisfied with a drop-in that simply button press cycles through the modes, then there are many multi-mode drop-ins available. Besides the Dereelight already mentioned, there is the Deal Extreme SKU #14442 5-mode Cree R2 drop-in.

Somewhat different alternatives could also include getting a single-mode drop-in and obtaining the multi-mode in one of two ways:

- The Sandwich Shoppe's McC2S two-stage switch
- OpticsHQ's TLS multifunction tailcap (but you have to buy it with their drop-in, the tailcap is not sold separately)

IMO, these latter two approaches provide a better user interface than sequentially press-cycling through the modes. The OpticsHQ product is very sophisticated, but may be overkill for you (I can't tell). The McC2S gives a simple, easy-to-use low/high capability. By selecting the appropriate resistor value, you can pick to some extent the brightness for your Low mode.

Last edited:

ap'l jak

Newly Enlightened
Try to buy Malkoff M60 and Uniq Variable Brightness Switch, my guess is you will really be satisfied.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have mentioned that the OpticsHQ/TLS multifunction tailcap draws power even when the light is turned off -- about 0.5-1 mA according to OpticsHQ. The Uniq tailcap apparently also draws about 1 mA even when the light is off (I don't have any hands-on experience with the Uniq, this is based on CPF posts by others). I would estimate that with AW RCR123A cells, you'd get about 3-4 weeks of shelf life with the OpticsHQ tailcap, shorter if you actually use the light during that time. You can always back out the tailcap by a partial turn to disconnect it electrically. But then you have to re-tighten the tailcap to get the light back into operation.

A CPF search seems to show that the Uniq may not have identical performance with all Malkoffs. See https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199281

Some seem to have good luck, others get the so-called "moonglow" problem. I've seen the moonglow problem with the OpticsHQ tailcap as well, when using Deal Extreme 6090 and 11836 drop-ins. In post #17, the Uniq tailcap also got stuck on high with a Malkoff, as well as getting stuck in moonglow.

The Uniq also apparently always comes on in low first, if that matters to you.

These two links have some additional info:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216888
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201722&page=2

Last edited:

DonWerner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the Dereelight 3SM. Sounds like the best fit for me. What's the max. lumens output on that one (it's not listed on their website as far as I can see)?

jzelek

Newly Enlightened
Try to buy Malkoff M60 and Uniq Variable Brightness Switch, my guess is you will really be satisfied.

Do you have any info on this switch?

I tried the search function in the forums, but came up with nothing.:candle:

I have a M60/Surefire 6P combo and would like to make it into a variable or 2-stage light.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont' forget the Wolf Eyes products. I have several LED dropins and they have a very high quality rating.

Here is one of their two-stage P60 dropins. It is 3.7 v to 6 volt so you can use one 17670 rechargeable or two primary 123's.

Last edited:

tposs01

Newly Enlightened
I should have mentioned that the OpticsHQ/TLS multifunction tailcap draws power even when the light is turned off -- about 0.5-1 mA according to OpticsHQ. The Uniq tailcap apparently also draws about 1 mA even when the light is off (I don't have any hands-on experience with the Uniq, this is based on CPF posts by others). I would estimate that with AW RCR123A cells, you'd get about 3-4 weeks of shelf life with the OpticsHQ tailcap, shorter if you actually use the light during that time. You can always back out the tailcap by a partial turn to disconnect it electrically. But then you have to re-tighten the tailcap to get the light back into operation.

A CPF search seems to show that the Uniq may not have identical performance with all Malkoffs. See https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199281

Some seem to have good luck, others get the so-called "moonglow" problem. I've seen the moonglow problem with the OpticsHQ tailcap as well, when using Deal Extreme 6090 and 11836 drop-ins. In post #17, the Uniq tailcap also got stuck on high with a Malkoff, as well as getting stuck in moonglow.

The Uniq also apparently always comes on in low first, if that matters to you.

These two links have some additional info:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216888
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201722&page=2

I have the OpticsHQ tailcap / lamp combo. The fact that it draws power when off may explain why I have gone to use it only to find the batteries dead? I thought I inadvertantly left it on or something.

It's bright and easy to use. Everyone wants one when they use it.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any info on this switch?

I tried the search function in the forums, but came up with nothing.:candle:

I have a M60/Surefire 6P combo and would like to make it into a variable or 2-stage light.

See post #5 above.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the OpticsHQ tailcap / lamp combo. The fact that it draws power when off may explain why I have gone to use it only to find the batteries dead? I thought I inadvertantly left it on or something.

It's bright and easy to use. Everyone wants one when they use it.

I also thought I accidentally left the light on when I first found my RCR123A cells drained.

My 3-4 week shelf life estimate is based on using two 16340 Li-ion rechargeables, charging them to 4.1V (roughly 90% of full capacity), and discharging them to 3.7V (roughly 20% remaining capacity). If you use bigger cells such as 17670s, charge to 4.2V, and-or discharge to less than 3.7V, you can certainly get longer shelf life. I use 4.1V/3.7V in an attempt to maximize the cycle life of my Li-ions.

Latest posts