NEW STUFF FROM OPTICS HQ - **LOTS OF PICS** EDIT - ADDED BEAM SHOT PICS

mhubble

Enlightened
Been talking to Mike at OPTICS HQ for a few weeks now about some new stuff he had coming in. He was nice enough to send me a few of the items to check out and photograph and post here. Ive reviewed a few lights at CPF before but by no means do I know what Im doing. I wont be able to do any beamshots tonight and Ill try and get some this weekend.

Basically what you have are TURBOHEAD LED CONVERSIONS, ADAPTERS FOR THE TURBO HEADS, "E" SERIES BODIES, AND TITANIUM POCKET CLIPS(E1B STYLE).

If you have any questions you can ask here in the thread or contact Mike at [email protected]

Here are the specs from OPTICS HQ.

TLS TX-3 Turbo LED Conversion Head
LED: Cree Q5 WC
Optimum Operating Voltage: 4.5-15v
Material: Aerospace-grade aluminum body, Mil-Spec Type III hard-anodized O-ring sealed weatherproof.
Finish: Natural or Black
Reflector: 2.4-inch TurboHead reflector that produces a tighter beam for long-range illumination. It is bright enough to temporarily blind and disorient by impairing night-adapted vision. Smooth reflector provides less spill and longer throw. Orange-Peel reflector provides more spill and a smoother beam profile.
Bezel: Standard or Impact Bezel.
High Output: 256+ lumens
Low Output: 40 lumens
TLS TX-3 fits SureFire Special Ops Lights and Millennium Weapon Lights.
With an optional TLS M2C adapter, TLS TX-3 fits G2/G2L, G3/G3L, 6P/6PD/6PL/6PDL, 9P/9PL, C2/C2L, C3/C3L, G2Z/G2ZL, Z2/Z2L
With an optional TLS M2E adapter, TLS TX-3 fits E1/E1L, E2/E2L, E2D/E2DL

Available variants:
HA3 Natural with Standard or Impact Bezel with Smooth or Orange Peel Reflector
HA3 Black with Standard or Impact Bezel with Smooth or Orange Peel Reflector

Approximate Run Time:

2xCR123 on high more than 2.5 hours
2xCR123 on low more than30 hours
3xCR123 on high more than 5hours
3xCR123 on low more than 50 hours
4xCR123 on high more than 6 hours
4xCR123 on low more than 65hours
6xCR123 on high more than 10 hours
6xCR123 on low more than 100hours

The T1 and T2 housings should accept RCR123 batteries (interior diameter on T1 is 16.6 mm and T2 17.3 mm). The bodies are available in HA3 Natural or HA3 Black and they both will come with TI 2-way pocket clips

As far as the prices, here are the initial estimates (although I have not quite finalized them):

TLS TX-3 Sugg. Retail $149.99 CPF Price $117.32
TLS M2C-ADP Sugg. Retail $39.99 CPF Price $27.07
TLS M2E-ADP Sugg. Retail $39.99 CPF Price $22.55
TLS T-1 Sugg. Retail $49.99 CPF Price $31.58
TLS T-2 Sugg. Retail $59.99 CPF Price $40.60
TLS TI-PC Sugg. Retail $19.99 CPF Price $9.02

Now to the pics:

BOXES AS RECEIVED
1004074tu6.jpg

TURBOHEAD CONVERSIONS WITH ADAPTORS ON E2E BODY AND A 6P BODY.
1004082vs8.jpg

TURBOHEAD CONVERSIONS SMOOTH AND OP REFLECTORS
1004084vi0.jpg

TURBOHEAD CONVERSIONS TAKEN APART
1004141qs9.jpg

1004134vn5.jpg

TURBOHEAD CONVERSIONS WITH ADAPTORS FOR THE "E" BODIES AND THE 6P BODIES. THE ADAPTOR FOR THE 6P COMES WITH AN INTERNAL EXTENSION BECAUSE OF THE LENGTH.
1004113cx9.jpg

1004116yc7.jpg

1004120tf5.jpg

1004137it1.jpg

TURBOHEAD CONVERSION WITH THE INTERNAL EXTENSION INSTALLED.
1004162bw4.jpg

T2 HOUSING IN HA
1004095cr5.jpg

T1 HOUSING IN BLACK HA
1004088wn5.jpg

T1 AND T2 HOUSING AS COMPARED TO AN E2 BODY
1004148pt6.jpg

TITANIUM POCKET CLIP AND T2 HOUSING IN HA
1004125jx8.jpg

T1 AND T2 HOUSING
1004127xb9.jpg

SWITCH FROM THE T2 HOUSING.
1004158dn9.jpg

TITANIUM POCKET CLIP INSTALLED ON SUREFIRE E2E BODY
1004152sp0.jpg

1004150nk9.jpg

DIAGRAMS
1004101vu4.jpg

1004100gg8.jpg

FINDINGS:
FIT AND FINISH ON EVERYTHING IS EXCELLENT. THE BLACK HA MATCHES SUREFIRE BLACK HA ALMOST PERFECT. I DONT HAVE A SUREFIRE IN HA TO COMPARE. THE HA FINISH ON THE TURBOHEAD IS A MATTE FINISH, AND THE HA FINISH ON THE T2 HOUSING IS MORE OF A GLOSS FINISH.
THREADS ARE SMOOTH EVEN WITHOUT LUBE. O RINGS ARENT SUREFIRE QUALITY BUT ARENT BAD AT ALL. THE TITANIUM POCKETCLIP GOES IN FAIRLY EASY ON THE SUREFIRE E2 BODY. IT WAS A LITTLE LOOSE ON MY E2 BUT MY E2 HAS HAD THE POCKETCLIP REMOVED AND INSTALLED NUMEROUS TIMES SO ITS WORN A LITLLE.

TURBOHEAD CONVERSIONS ARE EXTREMELY BRIGHT. THE ONE WITH THE OP REFLECTOR HAS A BEAUTIFUL BEAM. NOT YOUR TYPICAL CREE SHARP HOTSPOT, LOOKS MORE LIKE A GOLDENDRAGON OR SSC. TONS OF SPILL. I COULD LIGHT UP MY INTIRE BACKYARD WITH IT. PLENTY OF THROW TOO.

THE ONE WITH THE SMOOTH REFLECTOR IS ALL THROW, AND I MEAN THROW. I WAS HITTING TREES 300 YARDS AWAY AND COULD SEE THEM PERFECTLY. THE BEAM HAS A FEW RINGS UP CLOSE BUT PAST 20 YARDS YOU DONT EVEN SEE THEM.

SWITCH IN THE T1 AND T2 HOUSINGS COMES OUT EASY. JUST ONE RETAINING RING HOLDING IT IN. SWITCH IS PLASTIC BUT WELL MADE. FEELS JUST LIKE A SUREFIRE SWITCH.

LATER THIS WEEKEND ILL TRY AND DO SOME RUNTIME TESTS AND GET SOME BEAMSHOTS UP.

JUST SO YOULL KNOW IM IN NO WAY CONNECTED WITH OPTICS HQ OTHER THAN THE FACT IVE BOUGHT A FEW THINGS FROM THEM. I DIDNT GET ANY OF THIS STUFF FOR FREE. ONCE IM DONE CHECKING IT ALL OUT I CAN EITHER BUY IT OR SEND IT IT BACK. I JUST GOT LUCKY AND WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. AND I THINK MIKE JUST WANTED AN AVERAGE CPF MEMBER TO CHECK THE STUFF OUT AND GIVE AN HONEST REVIEW.

ILL BE ON HERE FOR A COUPLE MORE HOURS SO IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK. JUST DONT GET TOO TECHNICAL.

MODERATORS - IF YOU WANT TO MOVE THIS TO THE REVIEW SECTION FEEL FREE.

IM SURE ILL BE POSTING MORE INFORMATION AS I GET TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH THIS STUFF.

BEAMSHOTS- HERES A COUPLE OF BEAMSHOTS TAKEN AGAINST A WHITE BACKGROUND AT ABOUT 3 FEET. NOT VERY GOOD BUT IT GIVES YOU ANIDEA OF WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE. MY CAMERA DOESNT DO WELL WITH BEAMSHOTS.

THIS IS THE BEAMSHOT OF THE TURBOHEAD WITH THE SMOOTH REFLECTOR
1004183gk1.jpg

BEAMSHOT OF THE TURBOHEAD WITH OP REFELECTOR
1004169tp6.jpg

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW STUFF FROM OPTICS HQ - I think this stuff will be a big hit!! **LOTS OF PICS*

Cool!!

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: NEW STUFF FROM OPTICS HQ - I think this stuff will be a big hit!! **LOTS OF PICS*

So do 17670s fit in the T2 bodies? How about fat RCR123s in the T1 bodies?

Seems like great prices!

mhubble

Enlightened

So do 17670s fit in the T2 bodies? How about fat RCR123s in the T1 bodies?

The T1 and T2 housings should accept RCR123 batteries (interior diameter on T1 is 16.6 mm and T2 17.3 mm).

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is the LED assembly mounted in the reflector? Does it slide in like a SureFire TurboHead lamp slides into a SureFire TurboHead? Or does it screw in and if so, is the LED assembly thread-locked or easily removed and upgraded as LED technology advances?

I see that the TX-3 is advertised to fit Millennium weaponlights. In what sorts of small arms have the TX-3s been tested? 7.62mm? 5.56mm?

mhubble

Enlightened

How is the LED assembly mounted in the reflector?
It screws in like most drop ins for the 6p. I tried to unscrew it, couldnt do it by hand, tried pliers with leather still couldnt do it. Didnt put alot of pressure on it though.

I see that the TX-3 is advertised to fit Millennium weaponlights. In what sorts of small arms have the TX-3s been tested? 7.62mm? 5.56mm?

This I dont know, Ive used cree drop ins similar to these with 5.56 and 7.62 with no problems. And believe me these TURBOHEAD CONVERSIONS ARE HEAVY DUTY. Look at how thick the reflector's are. Im a gunsmith by trade and Ive mounted all kinds of lights on weapons. From having these apart and seeing how they are made I would say theyll do fine with weapons. You might want to contact Mike at Optics HQ for more detail.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

The products are quite interesting, the E series need more upgrade options.

You need a new carpet and a better background/surface for photography.

mhubble

Enlightened

You need a new carpet and a better background/surface for photography.

Thats the carpet on my workbence, it probably does need to have the oil changed in it.

seattlite

Enlightened

How is the LED assembly mounted in the reflector? Does it slide in like a SureFire TurboHead lamp slides into a SureFire TurboHead? Or does it screw in and if so, is the LED assembly thread-locked or easily removed and upgraded as LED technology advances?

This looks like the the TH found on a chinese made M972 clone that I purchased several months ago. I wonder if I could just purchase the LED Lamp Assembly? Here are some pics of a KT4 and the black M972 TH:

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

M972 clone on the bottom:
IMG_2090.jpg

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

It screws in like most drop ins for the 6p. I tried to unscrew it, couldnt do it by hand, tried pliers with leather still couldnt do it. Didnt put alot of pressure on it though.

Interesting. So the OpticsHQ TH uses just a pill that screws into the reflector. Does the pill look like the same diameter and thread used in 6P drop-ins?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks like the the TH found on a chinese made M972 clone that I purchased several months ago. I wonder if I could just purchase the LED Lamp Assembly?

Does your LED assembly screw into the reflector or slide in like an SF incandescent LA slides into an SF TH?

Unfortunately, none of these products seem to use an LED that can be used in a regular SF TH to replace the incandescent LA. The various aftermarket TH towers on CPF that are compatible with SF THs (e.g., Arcmania, yclo) look excellent for handheld use, but the way the LED emitters are attached to these towers (thermal epoxy to glue the emitter directly to the aluminum tower, no other mechanical method of securing the LED to the tower) makes me wonder how reliable they are for weaponlights.

Where did you get your M972 clone?

seattlite

Enlightened

Does your LED assembly screw into the reflector or slide in like an SF incandescent LA slides into an SF TH?

Unfortunately, none of these products seem to use an LED that can be used in a regular SF TH to replace the incandescent LA. The various aftermarket TH towers on CPF that are compatible with SF THs (e.g., Arcmania, yclo) look excellent for handheld use, but the way the LED emitters are attached to these towers (thermal epoxy to glue the emitter directly to the aluminum tower, no other mechanical method of securing the LED to the tower) makes me wonder how reliable they are for weaponlights.

Where did you get your M972 clone?

Screw In.

I think I purchased the M972 clone from Dragon Airsoft or one of their resellers. They make a bunch of Surefire/Eotech/Aimpoint/Leopold clones for the Airsofters that mount on standard 1913 Picatinny rails.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamshots? Can I ask where they are manufactured?

One of these on an M6 sounds very interesting....

seattlite

Enlightened

So there is no way of using this for Incan setups =[ us incan guys need some more options for SF THs

No. M-series bodies will fit, but LA's are not compatible.

mhubble

Enlightened

Beamshots? Can I ask where they are manufactured?

Ill try and get some beamshots tonight. No promise though, got alot going on this weekend. Youll have to ask Mike at OPTICS HQ where they are manufactured.

Interesting. So the OpticsHQ TH uses just a pill that screws into the reflector. Does the pill look like the same diameter and thread used in 6P drop-ins?
The OPTICS HQ pill is 0.78 in diameter, the drop in for my 6p is 0.76 in diameter. The threads look different too. I think the pill for the OPTICS HQ is alot taller than a 6p drop in pill.

Superdave

Enlightened

Nice!

If only they used MC-E's instead of Q5's.. :rolleyes: