Suggestions for buying a new LEO light

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a Pelican 7060 for about a year now, and although it's a good light, I'm looking for something a little better. The main drawback of the 7060 is a tail cap switch that over-extends and is prone to accidental activations. I don't even use this switch as I prefer the side mounted switch.

My basic requirements are:

- LED (Cree Q5 or equivalent)

- Lithium Battery

- Rechargeable (using a cradle or plug-in, not where the battery has to be removed)

- Emphasizes throw over flood

- About 8" in length. Shorter is difficult to hold under your arm, and longer is difficult to wear on your belt while sitting in a car.

Not a requirement, but I do prefer polymer over metal as the finish doesn't get scratched off and is easier to hold on chilly nights. I'm interested in learning more about the Inova T4-MP. Doing a search here on CPF doesn't work (rejects Inova and T4 or T4-MP have search problems too).

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
For info on the T4 < that is the url my search took me to.

8"? I'm not sure if a 6P or 9P setup is that length. Either way, I would probably go with a Malkoff and a Surefire setup. 9P with 2x17500's and a Malkoff M60W and maybe you can shift to 18mm cells.

Does the light need to have multiple levels? Some LEO's come here wanting a low level for doing paperwork without blinding themselves.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Devine, the search engine didn't work for me. As far as a low setting goes I'm ok with it as long as I can set it to reliably always come on full. When I grab the light in a hurry this is all I want it to do.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would imagine runtime should be a consideration too, what kinda' duration we looking at here?

Additionally cradle mount/external charging negates the Malkoff Surfefire 6P/9P route ;)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 hour runtime on maximum brightness is usually all I need. I used an old stinger for years and rarely needed anymore than that.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
Other than being shorter than 8" and having to remove the cells to charge, a TK11 w/ 18650 battery fits your specs.

I use one for police duty. I find that I can curl my arm and tuck the light in my arm pit just fine, even with the length being what it is. Throw is extremely good. Taking the cells out to charge has not been an issue for me, either. With 2.5hrs to 50% brightness, I can easily make it two whole night shifts without charging. If you tuck two CR123 batteries in your patrol bag, you won't have to worry about being caught with a dead battery anyway.

I'm not sure that you'll find a light that exactly matches your specs. The TK11 might be something to at least take a look at.

Last edited: