what's your favourite maglite

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
everyonethat reads this please reply. What's your favourite maglite. Any size also list your fav colour. Mine is a blue 2 AA mini maglite I also like the blue soitair. I own both.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black Mini mag and Black 3C cell. I'm not that big a fan of Maglites at all though, with them being so behind the times. I keep a few for old times sake.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I have many other lights that may be brighter, or have a beter beam, etc., I've never had a Mag fail me. Extremely durable, cheap, great mod host, and made in America. A classic. I like them all, but one of my favorites has to be a 3D cell, silver or black.

N10

Newly Enlightened
my blue 2AAA mini - because it's just cute..lol
the 2D - "good" size...
the 6D - for some reason...i don't why though..=/

jbosman1013

Enlightened
3D with a P7 mod. :grin2:

Picture303.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic
old 2AA minimag. I got this in ~1997 as a gift from my steel supplier when I was employed as a quality engineer in the automotive industry. Its the only light I own that can be completely taken apart and serviced down to the last piece part. One time I dropped it and the small metal contact piece at the end of the body tube got bent somehow. I just bent it back and its good to go.

I like the size and shape of the bezel much more than the current crop of MAG-leds.

Needs a new lens though, the OEM one is really scratched from all the use over the decade.
If these guys can make this level of quality in America for $9.... why can't anyone else?

dscn9681yh6.jpg

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
2C, 3C, 4C in black. All covered with inside out black rubber inner tube, modded with UCL lenses, C tower heatsinks, Nyogel 760G lube on all threads and O-rings
and
copper braid solder wick resistance fix on all bulb post springs and tail cap springs. ( Yeah, even on the LED mods :D )

3D made into a mag85 with all fivemega parts and AW soft start switch.
2AA Minimag's (Black and Red anodized) with SMJLED drop in's and TerraLux TLE-5EX with a K2 TFFC warm tint.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have three MagLites: a black non-"D" serial number 2D, a light blue "D" serial number 2D, and a silver Mini-MagLite.

The light blue MagLite is my current favorite and it was given to me by my cousin after his father passed away. It was his dad's light but it wasn't working when he gave it to me. I put a fresh set of batteries in it and it worked but by the next morning it was dead again. I decided to buy a MagLED module for my black 2D but put it into the blue light, first, probably because it was sitting there looking pathetic to me. To my surprise, that little LED lit right up when I hit the button! Thinking that the bulb was bad I placed the old bulb into my black 2D to test it and it worked fine. Put it back into the blue 2D and nothing. That's when I figured that there was an internal short of some kind that was allowing the batteries to drain overnight but not enough to light the filament. That MagLED module has stayed in that light ever since. I've recently replaced the Luxeon LED with an SSC P4 and it is much brighter now, brighter than the black 2D with Xenon bulb and fresh batteries! I've offered to give this flashlight back to my cousin but he refuses to take it so one day I will probably be passing it along to either of my children or one of theirs (at ages 11 and 8 I have a ways to go on that!).

I'm sure that my old black 2D will one day be my favorite MagLite again as I'm planning on doing some interesting mods to it. Funds and time permitting, of course!

D-Dog

Enlightened
My dad's black mini-mag... It was most likely from the original production batch, as he bought it when they first came out. The battery tube is a little narrower than a standard one produced today, however, other than some anodizing flaking off, it works great.

22hornet

Enlightened
I always preferred the Solitaire and the 6C: the one on the keychain and the other as the big throw-monster that impressed me and others :p.
Nowadays, with all the upgrade possibilities, I more tend towards the 2AA minimag, I have several, with all different kinds of terralux or mjled kits installed. I'm really happy with them and they perform perfectly.
Another one that is "gaining popularity and love" is the 2C with the Malkoff kit installed: output comparable to my old, incandescent, 6C: seems like a good deal to me.

Kind regards,
Joris

swampgator

Enlightened
My tastes in Mags have changed as technology has advanced. Back as a young Army MP I was told to "get you a KO (Kel) Light." So I bought a 4D. Now with with Lithium primaries I can get more light out my 2Cs.

So my favs are my 2Cs but a special place kept for my battered 4D.

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
I used to have an old style 2AA in blue but the batteries leaked and sealed the tailcap on and with maglites being so strong I just binned it:sigh::oops:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
a modified one..:twothumbs

i like the way the C's fit in the hand but it's restrictive on battery types.
i would say the 1D format is my favorite. great base for modding.

Sadsack

Newly Enlightened
My Magcharger I bought back in I think :thinking: 1986 is the light that got Me started with this flashlight addiction. (Then again, maybe I should hate it):wave:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite is my Mag 4d led. It has ultra long runtime for emergencies/power outage and puts out a resonable amount of light and spill.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
everyonethat reads this please reply. What's your favourite maglite. Any size also list your fav colour. Mine is a blue 2 AA mini maglite I also like the blue soitair. I own both.

Probably the 2C Mag.There are quite a few ways to upgrade the 2C that make it usefull depending on what you need/want.The 2C is also a very convenient size for general use,not too big or too small.I think the pewter finish is probably the best but C-Mags in colors other than black aren't very common anyway.