Questions about the L4...

jugg2

Enlightened
I have read in a few threads that the L4 can be run off of a rechareable cell. I have not been able to find what cell they are talking about though, I would assume a 17670.

My questions are, is it safe to do this? Will it damage the light? What kind of runtime and brightness can I expect?

I know a 17670 may not fit, but I can bore it myself (had to do that withe my E2E).

Thanks!

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 head from an SF L4 seems to work fine when driven by one 3.7V Li-ion. I use a 16340 cell in a single-cell E1L body to run my KL4 head. But you could, as you guessed, use a 17670 in your L4. I am fortunate that my L4 can fit a 17670 without modification.

There does seem to be a question as to whether or not the KL4 head can handle being driven by two 3.7V Li-ions. I've done this in my L4 with no problems (used two AW 16340 black-labeled protected cells), but it was a very brief test and poorly controlled. I can't even recall now if the cells were freshly charged (which could make a difference since the initial voltage could be much closer to 2x4.2V).

jugg2

Enlightened
Thanks Justin Case! It does make sense that 3.7V should be ok if 6V is.

How does runtime and brightness compare to running it on primaries? I guess your runtime would be a lot less in a single 16340 format.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been running my L4 off a 17670 for a long time - no problems here. Great setup and as far as I remember just as bright as 2 CR123's.

1wrx7

Enlightened
You should get the same brightness with slightly less runtime using a single 3.7V cell. Using two 3.7V cells will work, but for how long is another question:devil: Sooner or later it will probally go:poof: I use a 17670 with great results and will be ordering 123 size and 18650 cells to use with different bodies.

jugg2

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys! I always wanted an L4, but the whole rechargable issue held me back. Looks like I may order one tonight! Definately looking foward to the whole "wall of light" thing.

jugg2

Enlightened
I got my L4 today! Definately gonna by an EDC light! The flood beam is perfect for most uses. Overall :twothumbs

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO NOT use 2 X 3.7 RCR123's:poof::tsk:

I was running my KL4 modded with a P7 this way for about a week. It was bright as hell!! but by the end of the week, I had blown something on the driver. :eek::poof::duck::rant:
The light would still come on but with very little output. Luckily I had an extra KL4 driver, replaced it and it was good to go.

So 6 volts MAX for the L4 or KL4...same thing.

Last edited:

seale_navy

Enlightened
i think the surfire L4 today still remains one the nicest design light. Cant wait for January 15 to see whether they upgrade the light. But i doubt it will be dual output since L2 and L1 is already dual output models from the very beginning

1996alnl

Enlightened
anyone know what the runtime would be with the KL4 head on a 18650 cell?
Just wondering.