Trouble With Lumapower MVP!

brianjon

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Lumapower MVP from battery junction and was very excited to try it. Read the instructions to the letter, charged the ultrafire batteries, inserted the batteries, hit the on switch and, nothing! Tried it again, still nothing. Anyone else having trouble with this model or brand? It looks extremely well made but it doesn't work. I even tried the paperclip to the battery trick still not working. I think the problem is with the tailcap switch. Any ideas or thoughts?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Are the batteries backwards?

If they are, you might have fried the circuit. After frying the circuit, the light won't work anymore.

If you put the batteries in the right way and the light doesn't work, get a replacement.

:welcome:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've fried a light that way.

don't have a lumapower MVP, but, if you can get near the circuitry...
take a deep whiff xD

if it smells burnt, you probably put the battery in backwards... :(

:welcome:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you check the battery? It could be a battery issue.

The safest thing to do is exchange it for a new one with Battery Junction.

brianjon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies! The first thing I did was to make sure the batteries were in the right way. The Lumapower instructions were to put them in positive ends toward the LED's so thats what I did. Guess its just a defective flashlight.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Are your batterys "flat tops" or do they have a "nipple"? The MVP needs a screw installed IIRC @ the + end to make contact with the + end of flat top batteries.

brianjon

Newly Enlightened
The batteries I put in have a nipple. Could you please explain more what you mean by a screw installed IIRC @ the positive end? Thanks

ledaholic

Enlightened
If they have a nipple, then thats not the problem. Lumapower recesses the positive contact in the light so as to provide reverse polarity protection. If you are to use a flat top battery, such as a Li-Ion, they provide a brass screw to insert in the positive contact area of the light so it will make contact with the battery.

Kato

Enlightened
I had my MVP for a month or so before the switch went out. Battery Junction replaced the switch with no hassles. No problems since.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Have you confirmed that your ultrafire 18650s are in working order?

Do you have another light to test them in? Do you have a multi-meter? Check make sure you are getting ~4.10-4.20V on your freshly charged 18650s.

brianjon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the good suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have another way to confirm the batteries are fully charged. But I also tried the MVP with 4 CR123A's just to see if it would light, but it didn't. Looks like I will be sending it back for a replacement!

brianjon

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick update on my MVP. I sent it back to Battery Junction, they inspected it, and discovered it had a faulty LED engine. They replaced it and I am getting it shipped back to me. Anyone have any ideas why the LED engine would fail, especially on a new out of the box flashlight?