Storm Stories - Paying it Forward, CPF!

1dash1

Enlightened
Bad weather set in on Christmas Day and didn't let up until early this morning, December 27. Link: Weather story for Hawaii

I work for the State Highways Division. I was called to man the EOC (Civil Defense Emergency Operation Center) on Friday. Throughout the day, there was localized flooding and road blockages. As you might imagine, our road crews were stretched thin dealing with blocked culverts, debris on roads, rockfalls and landslides.

I got off my shift at the EOC at 6 pm. It had been a long and tiring day. It was still raining cats and dogs and I just wanted to go home, take a hot bath, and eat my dinner that was already waiting for me.

Flash back: A couple of days earlier griff had generously offered a McGizmo giveaway. Throughout the long day at the EOC, there was a lot of time (in between phone calls and the occasional high-drama event) to think about the CPF community. The level of industriousness, dedication, wealth of knowledge, and humanity never ceases to amaze me.

Back to the story: I was standing in the rain, fumbling for the keys to my car and getting drenched in the process when the thought struck me that some of the men were still out in the field. While I had been cooped up in the building, they had been out in the rain, working all day. They must be wet, cold, and with no idea of how much later into the night that they would be working. So, in a "pay it forward" impulse, I picked up some some Subway sub sandwiches and Starbucks hot coffee and took them to the crew that was still working on removing the latest landslide covering the highway.

When I got there, they were obviously very tired. I think my words of appreciation did more for them than the food and drink. I'm very proud of those guys for the hard work that they did to keep the highway safe. It's not only miserable working out there in the mud and rain, it's also dangerous work. There's the ever present danger of rocks and landslides coming down on them. And there's the risk of inattentive motorists.

As I drove home, I wondered about the police officers that were on site directing traffic. I wondered whether our crew would split their sub sandwiches and share them with the officers. I don't know what happened. I have hopes that they, too, would "pay it forward".

It's a lesson learned by example.

CPF sets a good example. :thumbsup:

Today, after the storm had passed, we were treated to a wonderful view of Mauna Kea. Just a beautiful sight!!!

Mauna Kea, This Morning With a Foot of Snow

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That has got to be the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time!

THANK YOU for the photos!!!:grin2: