retailer "deep discounts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_nu

Enlightened
The news keeps reporting retailers with discounts of "up to 75% off" and they say retailers can't do anything more to entice shoppers to spend. Now they are asking the Federal government to reimburse states so they can have tax free shopping days without the state losing any revenue.

I saw lots of retailers that still have most items at suggested retail prices. We all know there are lots of products that are the same price everywhere you look. I've seen some "price reduced" items that are still higher than they were at the start of the year. High energy and commodity prices were the stated reasons for the increases earlier this year.

Maybe furniture or apparel is discounted but when I see "Made in China" on goods that used to be made in Oregon or Connecticut, I expect lower prices.

There are quite a few items that I haven't bought in the last few years because I thought they were too expensive for what they are. Many never go on sale.

Hey retailers! Instead of asking the Fed to subsidize your sales tax exemptions, how about just advertising 15% off everything in the store? We will flock to buy all those price protected items you won't put on sale. 75% off on a sold out ugly clearance special and 80% of the items at regular price won't entice shoppers. We are better educated about prices and margins than we used to be. We shop around and look on the Internet too.

Empath

Flashaholic
Since this is a rant thread, and a political thread, there's nowhere left for it to go other than to expand on the rant and the involved political conflict involved. It's a thread well suited for our Underground, but not the Cafe. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.