Novatac Switch

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Today I found a local store that carries the Novatac line. They have the 120E and 120T available in black. I thought I would just order a 120P online since I wanted the tailstand feature.

But I'm curious about the switch feel of the 120P. The light seems very short, and it seems like it may be a little harder to depress the switch on the 120P. Especially when doing multiple clicks.

I think the exposed switch would make everday use a lot easier than the flat switch? I guess what I mean is I don't want to have to worry about how I grab the light, or shift grip so I can get a good purchase on the flat switch.
I've been using my SF L1 for a while, and like the exposed switch. Your thumb doesn't have to be in the perfect spot to work the switch properly. But it would be nice to tailstand.

I recently aquired a Olight T10 and I've having troubles getting used to making sure I grab the light correctly or else I have a hard time depressing the switch.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switches on Novatac are entirely different than most lights - it will be easier than an O-light but if you don't like the flat switch (which takes very little pressure and almost no travel) then you can buy a tactical switch from Lighthound.com or a couple other places. You probably have seen the reprogramming message thread ? It will turn an E or T model into a P model so just get the cheapest one and then see LLCoolBeans message thread on how to reprogram. So you might just grab the tactical model and then if yo want tail standing get a regular tail switch (also from Lighthound).

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
I might just go for the E model and reprogram it. The T model locally is $138. And I can get the 120E for $128.
The 120P from BatteryStation for $130. I like the idea of tailstanding. At work I have wished several times that I could tailstand my L1. I'm constantly working in small unlit or dim areas where the tailstand would be ideal. I just don't know if I'd like the flat switch under normal use.
Can the 120p work as a Twisty? I mean can you turn the light on, untwist the light to turn it off, then use it as a twisty?

Jackal112203

Newly Enlightened
I live in Nevada, where is this dealer located, and whats it called? I've been looking for a novatac dealer (aside from online) for a while.

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
I live in Nevada, where is this dealer located, and whats it called? I've been looking for a novatac dealer (aside from online) for a while.

It's located about 450 miles NW of you in a little town called Reno. Sportsman's Warehouse is the store.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I've got both types of tail switches for my NovaTac. I do like the tailstanding ability of the flat switch, but it IS a little harder to do multiple presses with it. I find myself using the exposed switch much more often.

Jackal112203

Newly Enlightened
It's located about 450 miles NW of you in a little town called Reno. Sportsman's Warehouse is the store.

Wait, but there is a sportsmans warehouse in las vegas... Perhaps they would have some Novatacs... Thanks NVBoy

Last edited:

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
Wait, but there is a sportsmans warehouse in las vegas... Perhaps they would have some Novatacs... Thanks NVBoy

The Reno and Mesa, AZ stores both have great selections of lights. SF, PT, Photon, Pentagon, Petzl, Gerber, Inova......

NVBoy

Newly Enlightened
I've got both types of tail switches for my NovaTac. I do like the tailstanding ability of the flat switch, but it IS a little harder to do multiple presses with it. I find myself using the exposed switch much more often.

Thanks for the input. That's what I needed. :grin2:

You know, I just bought a Zebralight H30 that I also plan to have with me at work. That may replace the need for a tailstander.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Can the 120p work as a Twisty? I mean can you turn the light on, untwist the light to turn it off, then use it as a twisty?

No the 120p cannot be used as a Twisty. Twisting it off and then on again is part of the battery detect/factory reset procedures. I find using the cigar grip with my fingers around the narrow part of the light very useful with the flat button.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I find using the cigar grip with my fingers around the narrow part of the light very useful with the flat button.
Same here. It's the only grip position I can use comfortably. But I don't like being forced into using that grip all the time with no other alternative. So my "E" switch gets all the usage.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the flat tail switch :twothumbs
On one occasion with the exposed tailcap installed, somehow the light
switched on by accident without me knowing and I was left a dead battery.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
yup, I have a 120e with the flat end, love it, it's slightly recessed, so there is almost no chance of accidental activation in my pocket. I keep thinking about getting the protruding switch, but have yet to pick it up.

streetmaster

Enlightened
No the 120p cannot be used as a Twisty. Twisting it off and then on again is part of the battery detect/factory reset procedures. I find using the cigar grip with my fingers around the narrow part of the light very useful with the flat button.
Same here. It's the only grip position I can use comfortably. But I don't like being forced into using that grip all the time with no other alternative. So my "E" switch gets all the usage. The funny thing is that I paid $20 for a tailcap that rarely gets used.

I prefer the flat tail switch :twothumbs
On one occasion with the exposed tailcap installed, somehow the light
switched on by accident without me knowing and I was left a dead battery.

That's why I have "Auto-off" enabled. :naughty:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. It's the only grip position I can use comfortably. But I don't like being forced into using that grip all the time with no other alternative. So my "E" switch gets all the usage. The funny thing is that I paid $20 for a tailcap that rarely gets used.

That's why I have "Auto-off" enabled. :naughty:

multi-mode UI's + tx101 = :confused::hairpull::stupid:

pipspeak

Enlightened
The flat switch is nicer than you think but if you might be using gloves I'd go with the T

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
I have the 120P, love it, might have got ripped off now that the easter egg has been found but what they hey, mine does not flicker so i am happy, used it for tailstanding the other day, very uesful.

If you get one I reccomend getting some rechargables to go with it.
Its a very robust, strong light.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tailstand recessed switch rules! My NT that I often EDC has auto-off enabled. I never used it before when I just used them around the house, it packed them in my bag, but very shortly after I started carring it clipped to my cargo pocket it got activated on HIGH... wow that gets hot...

This is one of the great under appreciated, and under reported features of the Ra Lights... lockout ... on the NT use auto-off.

Don't be scared of the flat switch...