Nitecore Defender Infinity- what changes were made since the first run?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember that they swapped the converter board and removed the "strong light" stamp. Did runtimes/output/reliability change as well?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh, didn't know they swapped the converter. What did they change in it?
I have one of the first NDIs, those that were sold at a discount in the first sales thread, so I must have the first-generation board.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the one I got from Edgetac out of the second run gave me nothing but trouble for months. The replacement I received from 4sevens around a month ago has worked perfect. I think they worked some of the flaws out although I can't tell you for certain of any specific changes.

Bill

JBorneu

Enlightened
The new clicky switches are a lot more reliable and they come with a spare switch now too.

I actually liked the "strong light" markings and wish they didn't remove those.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another significant change in the latest NDI's is the addition of a split ring floating contact ring, similar to the D10. This is supposed to improve the longevity of the contact surface on the head's circuit board. I noticed this change on the GD version of the NDI. I would assume newer Q5's probably have this also.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
How durable are the contacts on the original head? Or, in other words, can I expect them to wear out in the lifetime of the light, considering it doesn't see really heavy use?

tempman

Newly Enlightened
How durable are the contacts on the original head? Or, in other words, can I expect them to wear out in the lifetime of the light, considering it doesn't see really heavy use?

The contacts will not likely wear out on you if you have the older batch considering the light doesnt rely on a twist action to turn it on. On twisty lights that get used alot, im sure they would wear out eventually.

Heres a question, if the newer NDI's have the exact same light engine as the D10, then why wont the light turn on when you screw the head on like the D10 does?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The contacts will not likely wear out on you if you have the older batch considering the light doesnt rely on a twist action to turn it on. On twisty lights that get used alot, im sure they would wear out eventually.
I still twist it all the time to change mode...

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heres a question, if the newer NDI's have the exact same light engine as the D10, then why wont the light turn on when you screw the head on like the D10 does?

It doesn't have the exact same light engine as the D10. It only looks the same now that it has the floating split ring. It has to be programmed differently since the D10 doesn't have strobe, whereas the NDI does.