How come no parallel 2AA body designs?...

mega_lumens

Enlightened
2AA lights tend to be longish, so why won't manufacturers parallel stack the AA batteries to shorten the length of body? Pistol lights that run on CR123s, are parallel stacked to make them small length wise, so can this work for 2AA lights?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Price might be a problem. IIRC it is more expensive to machen a double barrel body. Molding should be fine though but then there might be strength or heatsinking problems.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's more costly to make metal lights like you want. However, there are plastic flashlights that that are made with sets of two batteries side by side. Princeton Tec makes a lot of them. PT Attitude (l.e.d.), Blast (bulb), Tec 20 (2AA, bulb), Tec 40 (2x2 AA, bulb), Rage, PT Amp lights (rebel and Nichia GS l.e.d.s).

mwaldron

Enlightened
I've always liked the 2AA side-by-side form factor. My first "favorite" light was a black Rayovac Workhorse with a 2AA side-by-side configuration. Wow that was a horrible flashlight. :)

I suspect there are two problems with it, as previously noted machining costs are almost certainly higher. Not such a big deal if you injection mold though. The real problem that I see is you created an environment for a rectangular reflector, and there's just only so much you can do within the laws of physics to make that beam pattern not suck and it isn't enough...

Check out Eternalights though, they are all flood, and they use a 3xAA side-by-side-by-side battery to achieve the same form factor. They were my 2nd great love in flashlights!

saildude

Newly Enlightened
UK or Underwater Kinetics make most of their lights in a side by side molded configuration - I have a couple and have been quite happy with them - Brightguy.com has them as do many local dive shops - they are very popular with divers and emergency workers

mb

Toaster

Enlightened
I'm still waiting for the day somebody comes out with a short 4xAA/1D round tube pocket rocket. But I fear that day will never come :(

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 4AA or 6AA light in a 2x2 or 2x3 side-by-side configuration is just about my favorite form factor. Short, fits neatly in the hand, perfect for NiMH rechargeable batteries.

I really wish there were more lights available with that design. I despair at all the 2D and 3AAA lights out there. Gimme what I want!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm still waiting for the day somebody comes out with a short 4xAA/1D round tube pocket rocket. But I fear that day will never come :(

DIY (or have Mac do it for you: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)

MacOwns.jpg

jusval

Enlightened
A 4AA or 6AA light in a 2x2 or 2x3 side-by-side configuration is just about my favorite form factor. Short, fits neatly in the hand, perfect for NiMH rechargeable batteries.

I really wish there were more lights available with that design. I despair at all the 2D and 3AAA lights out there. Gimme what I want!

Make one...... and then make a few more and we will buy them;)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there are some cheap swivel 2AA lights that very in quality from horrible to average using bipin bulbs but most 2AA side/side lights are specialty type diving or swivel lights. You won't see any non custom made 2AA side/side lights made from aluminum or metal out there as it requires a lot more machining and/or parts not just making a head, cap, and treading tube. Most of that can be done on a lathe while a block of metal and probably a computerized router would be required for a side/side light.
making round lights are easy out of metal... non round.... tough.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
I've always liked the 2AA side-by-side form factor. My first "favorite" light was a black Rayovac Workhorse with a 2AA side-by-side configuration. Wow that was a horrible flashlight. :)
I had a similar one as in the Duracell Durabeam when it came out as I got it from my Grandma the day we were picking up a new miniature poodle (lived some 13 years) when I was young. I had fun with it and made use of the flat shape and beam by strapping it to the top of my Radio Shack RC Truck and Turbo Beattle car and running them around the basement with the lights off. Sadly it it broke or disappeared some years later. I remember it was a bit of work in replacing the 2xAA batteries as it sometimes took a few tries.

I also had a Rayovac Workhorse (though 3D version) that I got for my birthday in grade 3 from a friend and found the lens was not very durable (cracked), however the PR bulb was very durable in comparison in taking physical abuse.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I used to have a couple of those 2AA Durabeams, too, in my post MiniMag pre CPF years. Liked them better than the old Mag. They're around here somewhere.

Geoff

brucec

Enlightened
I've posted this question in a few places around here and have gotten almost no responses. A 2xAA version of a Spy007 would be awesome! Sabrewolf is developing a Chimera which is 2x18650, but maybe we can convince him to do 2xAA too.

elumen8

Enlightened
How funny is this...I got an ROV 2AA workhorse for Christmas. Ugly dim beam, but just plain fun form factor. Now I wonder how I'm going to mod this thing? :thinking:

-JB

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've posted this question in a few places around here and have gotten almost no responses. A 2xAA version of a Spy007 would be awesome! Sabrewolf is developing a Chimera which is 2x18650, but maybe we can convince him to do 2xAA too.
I'd love this format with it's shorter length and would really love to see a AAA version too! :huh:

Sarratt

Enlightened
My most comfortable-in-the-hand feeling light is the old Streamlight Pro Poly Lux 4AA .
I realize this is about 2AA but ....
I like the oval shape very much.

Latest posts