Need some ideas...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a conversation with a member of another group I belong to. They were 'Bah Humbugging' a power outage, location unspecified. I told them it was all in how you looked at it. They were bummed, CPF members would be rejoicing that they got to use their lights.:D One of the members said he only had one usable hand and it was very hard to hold a flashlight and a cane at the same time. I know one solution would be a headlamp, but does anyone know of some kind of clamp or whatever that could be used to mount a light on a cane? I will pass along any good ideas to him. TIA

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Fenix-Store and others sell bike handlebar mounts for lights that are supposed to work quite well. They should do on a cane, too.

Geoff

EasySt

Newly Enlightened
... One of the members said he only had one usable hand and it was very hard to hold a flashlight and a cane at the same time. I know one solution would be a headlamp, but does anyone know of some kind of clamp or whatever that could be used to mount a light on a cane? I will pass along any good ideas to him. TIA

I just set my mom up with a light on her cane. I posted about it elsewhere here, but I'll expand a bit on what I had in that post.

My mom suffers vision problems and carries a white cane. I bought her a SureFire E1B Backup, replaced its tail cap with a crenelated tail cap from a SureFire E2DL and added a rubber F04 Beam Diffuser cap to its front end.

I also took the 7 inch Velcro straps off of a couple old ThinkPad power supply cables (had to cut the cables) and managed to get them side by side onto the E1B's pocket clip and slipped through each other in such a way, that the only way to get them off would now be to cut them off.

(The straps have a small loop in the end where it used to attach to a cable, and are just a bit bigger than needed to fit over the pocket clip. I slipped one over the clip and pushed it down next to the bezel, the other I stuck through the loop of the first and over the outside finger of the pocket clip and pulled it through so that it is on the top part of the clip, above the first strap. They can wrap neatly and tightly in parallel around the flashlight body, or be used to strap the light to most anything. )

The Velcro straps hold her E1B securely to the top of her cane, pointing down, so that a poke from her index finger unleashes a nice smooth flood of illumination onto whatever her cane is pointing at.

She, and my dad, are absolutely delighted with the results.