Something Absurd for a 6P

N/Apower

Enlightened
Well, I have a Malkoff M60W (have tried BOG Q5 and have an R2 290 lumen on order, and have tried an M60).

I want something STOOPID bright for my 6P that will run off of 2 CR123's. Is the Malkoff M60 the pinnacle of LED output? Throw is important to me, flood--not so much.

Any ideas?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the aspherical lens for it. The maglite folks use them and get more throw. I want one too for more throw in my 6P's, but so far I think you have to custom make it yourself.:shrug:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now the M60 is probably it for anything non-custom. However Dereelight is working on a MC-E P60 drop-in. I think Gene may be working with P7 (but maybe that is just for MAG).

If you're looking for STUUUUPID bright you're probably going to need a 2x18650 power source, or some flashaholic will make your P60 look like and 5mm LED.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the new AW IMR 16340's, safe, super high output hotwires are now doable in a 6p. You'll get extremely short runtimes, but you basically have a surefire M6 in a 6p package.

N/Apower

Enlightened
If you're going for all-else-be-damned ludicrous output, you'll need to go incan; How does 630 lumens sound? https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190833

It's all numbers to me, I do not understand or grasp all of it. It is like me trying to figure out import engine codes. What parts would I nee to produce 630 lumens? Also, I am definitely wanting to stay with the same body and CR123 power source.

If I changed my bezel to shock-isolated, would that allow me to run this weapon-mounted? I really like LED because of it's "shockproof" properties.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must agree that the new IMR 16340's and the 1794 in a Fivemega reflector set-up is simply amazing.

I also have a P7 drop-in....the incan is WAY brighter.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has decent throw, and good spill.
I made it from an old Bug-out-gear drop-in.
I used a cheap P7 driver
It is the P7 LED I am refering to.

Its bright, but the 1794/IMR16340 BLOWS it away! The runtime does suck, but the WOW factor is great! TONS of light from a 6P!!
I was never into the incan bulbs either....until I finally bought rechagables/charger.

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened
It has decent throw, and good spill.
I made it from an old Bug-out-gear drop-in.
I used a cheap P7 driver
It is the P7 LED I am refering to.

Its bright, but the 1794/IMR16340 BLOWS it away! The runtime does suck, but the WOW factor is great! TONS of light from a 6P!!
I was never into the incan bulbs either....until I finally bought rechagables/charger.

I like CR123 because of universal availability, small size/weight, and Surefire makes them and they are compatable with weapon-mounted light usage (shock/temp extremes/whatnot).

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think you will find something absurd from the LED spectrum for a 6. I have seen M6's modded with 4 or 5 LED's putting out over 750 lumens but something about the color temperature makes the beam seem less bright than it actually is. I am an incandescent guy at heart also so I may be a bit bias. Out of the 16 flashlights on my desk, only 4 are LED's (SF L1 Cree, Inova X1 UV, CR2 Ion, and Longbow Micra, the rest are incandescents.)

The 1794 in the FiveMega socket seems like a good plan but I already have two IMR16340 cells and 2 X Lumens Factory EO-9 bulbs coming for my empty 6P host. ($26 for the assembly, $10 for a bulb, so pretty much for two bulbs and the assembly it will be $46 then add in shipping, I am getting the IMR cells and bulbs as part of a trade so I will try it and see how it turns out.)

I personally would not mount the Fivemega assembly onto a weapon due to bulb possibly coming loose and = no light. I have read that the shock isolating properties of certain Surefire lights (M2 to be exact) can be bad for the LED due to heat not being able to escape via the flashlight body.

What type of weapon are you mounting it to? I have a X200 on my pistol but for rifles, I prefer a minimum light running off 3 cells and either a MN16 or P91 bulb (HOLA lamp assemblies.)

N/Apower

Enlightened
I do not think you will find something absurd from the LED spectrum for a 6. I have seen M6's modded with 4 or 5 LED's putting out over 750 lumens but something about the color temperature makes the beam seem less bright than it actually is. I am an incandescent guy at heart also so I may be a bit bias. Out of the 16 flashlights on my desk, only 4 are LED's (SF L1 Cree, Inova X1 UV, CR2 Ion, and Longbow Micra, the rest are incandescents.)

The 1794 in the FiveMega socket seems like a good plan but I already have two IMR16340 cells and 2 X Lumens Factory EO-9 bulbs coming for my empty 6P host. ($26 for the assembly, $10 for a bulb, so pretty much for two bulbs and the assembly it will be $46 then add in shipping, I am getting the IMR cells and bulbs as part of a trade so I will try it and see how it turns out.)

I personally would not mount the Fivemega assembly onto a weapon due to bulb possibly coming loose and = no light. I have read that the shock isolating properties of certain Surefire lights (M2 to be exact) can be bad for the LED due to heat not being able to escape via the flashlight body.

What type of weapon are you mounting it to? I have a X200 on my pistol but for rifles, I prefer a minimum light running off 3 cells and either a MN16 or P91 bulb (HOLA lamp assemblies.)

I will probably stick with my Malkoff unit then. I didn't think about the bulb coming loose. You have a point.

It will be mounted to an M16A4 clone on a KAC rail in a LaRue 606 offset mount.

You are correct, shock isolation is BAD for LED's.

Superdave

Enlightened
Right now the M60 is probably it for anything non-custom. However Dereelight is working on a MC-E P60 drop-in. I think Gene may be working with P7 (but maybe that is just for MAG).

If you're looking for STUUUUPID bright you're probably going to need a 2x18650 power source, or some flashaholic will make your P60 look like and 5mm LED.

I'm working on a MC-E M bin drop in using a MOP reflector made for a Q5, If i get it finished up tonight i'll get some beamshots. Should be pretty bright...

Superdave

Enlightened
Here you go, this is pretty absurd...

6PDL bored for an 18650, MCE M bin with a 5 mode KD Direct driver, Generic reflector/pill for a Q5 ebay dropin. Haven't checked the tailcap current yet..

SDC10249%20(Small).JPG

Top is a refocused Q5 Cree dropin in my 9P, Bottom is the 6P
(craptastic quick beamshot)
SDC10254%20(Small).JPG

It's just as bright as my P7 mag, not focused as good though which is to be expected :sick2:.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Hrmmm...so far I am going to just check out the 290 lumen R2 that I bought from "Lumenman" AKA [email protected] AKA [email protected]. lol. If that is not an improvement, I will call Gene if I discover my M60W is lacking that much. From what I can tell, Gene is a really cool guy and for some cash his way he doesn't mind helping others out with 1-off's. I am a total noob at flashlights and I know enough to know I don't know enough to pick up a soldering iron and work on one.

N/Apower

Enlightened
No dont get it from ppc co. I dealed with him and he wasnt very nice and wouldnt replace a dead drop in

My dealings with him so far have been okay. WOrse comes to worse, it isn't that much $$. I wouldn't trade MY reputation for $20, I hope he wouldn't either.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go, this is pretty absurd...

6PDL bored for an 18650, MCE M bin with a 5 mode KD Direct driver, Generic reflector/pill for a Q5 ebay dropin. Haven't checked the tailcap current yet..

SDC10249%20(Small).JPG

Top is a refocused Q5 Cree dropin in my 9P, Bottom is the 6P
(craptastic quick beamshot)
SDC10254%20(Small).JPG

It's just as bright as my P7 mag, not focused as good though which is to be expected :sick2:.
Wow! I like it! I see it looks like Dereelight will be recommending not running their MC-E drop-in on High for more than 10mins due to heat. They're running at 2.1A to the LED, not sure what the battery draw is. Do you think your retrofitted drop-in and a 6P can disipate thet heat for atleast 30min runtime?