maglite bulb help

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
hey guys can anyone tell me when a maglite 2aa bulb is about to stop working
I have a nearly new blue 2aa and it looks like the bulb is tinted i've only had it about a week and I haven't used it loads help

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it incandescent or LED? If it's incan it might just be the batteries.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
Minimag bulbs will turn silver color as they are used. The filament leaves small deposits on the glass. I could be wrong,but I think that the newer type of bi-pin bulb that has a pink colored base is xenon and it will stay clear.
It is hard to tell when the bulb will quit due to color alone. I've changed them early just for piece of mind. Also, you may have a spare bulb in the tail cap.

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
I am a long term mag user and kow that there is a spare bulb in the tailcap which is 1 reason why i love them:D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
minimag 2aa --> lifetime of 5-7 hours continously (thats 1-1.5 sets of batts at max) for every bulb.
when burnt out, the bulb is grey/silver from the inside

that was and still is a light for very occasional use, noone owning one, really used it a lot
(because then the lifetime of the bulb would keep these "real" users :rolleyes: from grabbing the MM)

PS: I think I have gone through 20-30 bulbs in my life of MM-using. The short lifetime was the main reason not to take the MM any more, when the led explosion started.
The other reason was the light switchig itself on when pocketed

PS:
pink ring = brighter, no change in lifetime
blue ring = indication for smaller, less powerful, other voltage solitaire bulb

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember a couple years ago, Mag came out with a replacement bulb for the 2AA Minimag that wouldn't blacken under use. It had a green stripe on the glass near the base where the bi-pins come out. I'm not sure they are still green striped these days, maybe someone else knows for sure. They might be xenon, instead of the stock ones, which I think are krypton.

The Solitaire bulbs are different voltage than the Minimag 2AA bulbs. I bet they use a different color stripe so you can tell which model they belong to.

Last edited:

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
minimag 2aa --> lifetime of 5-7 hours continously (thats 1-1.5 sets of batts at max) for every bulb.
when burnt out, the bulb is grey/silver from the inside

that was and still is a light for very occasional use, noone owning one, really used it a lot
(because then the lifetime of the bulb would keep these "real" users :rolleyes: from grabbing the MM)

PS: I think I have gone through 20-30 bulbs in my life of MM-using. The short lifetime was the main reason not to take the MM any more, when the led explosion started.
The other reason was the light switchig itself on when pocketed

PS:
pink ring = brighter, no change in lifetime
blue ring = indication for smaller, less powerful, other voltage solitaire bulb

thanks very much everyone