P7 Gladius Mod

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a few Gladius lights on sale last week with the intention of modding them with Seoul P4 LED's. I was curious if one could be modded with a Seoul P7 LED. Well, the short answer is "Yes".

The Khatod P7 reflector that PhotonFanatic sells is a direct fit into the metal shroud of the Gladius. In stock form, the reflector gives a dark spot in the center of the beam. When you texture the reflector, the beam becomes floodier, and spot free. After removing the existing star, the P7 LED needs to be raised 2mm. I used a 2mm CREE board with the traces and mask removed. The LED is a DSWOI P7 that I picked up from Amilite. The tint is spectacular, and on the warm side of a WO tint.

The texturing that I did on the reflector was not as clear or as smooth as I would have liked, because of the high humidity that we have had this past week. I tried to do it when the sun was out, but the air was still damp, and I did not get the dry overspray that I desired for my first coat. Also, some humidity got trapped in the final coat. I will try replacing the reflector when I get a dry, warmer day to mod the reflector.

Currently, the beam is very floody. I think that it will tighten up a bit with a new reflector. In it's current form, it would be a good light for area illumination, though. I personally prefer a tighter spot with more throw.

100_4122.jpg

100_4124.jpg

Oh yeah... excuse the dust. I guess the counter needs a cleaning. :eek:

shomie911

Enlightened
I used to have a Gladius, I probably would have kept it if I had known a P7 could be thrown in it.

What's the approximate output?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a Gladius, I probably would have kept it if I had known a P7 could be thrown in it.

What's the approximate output?
It is hard to say with the heavy OP reflector because it is so massively floody. I may test it again with the smooth reflector to get an approximate idea when compared to a stock Gladius with the Luxeon. I also would like to compare it to a U2SWOH modded Gladius, but I have not completed that mod yet.

Looks great!
Thanks.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya DatiLED,
Great mod, just wondering what driver you used?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya DatiLED,
Great mod, just wondering what driver you used?

I am using the stock driver. It really doesn't push the P7 hard enough to be what I would consider impressive. Besides, it is too floody for my taste. I think that I'll stick with the P4 mods. Once I can compare a U2SVOH Gladius with the P7 Gladius, I may end up removing the P7 and replace it with another LED. Maybe a 120 lumen GDP, or a U2SWOH.

shomie911

Enlightened
I am using the stock driver. It really doesn't push the P7 hard enough to be what I would consider impressive. Besides, it is too floody for my taste. I think that I'll stick with the P4 mods. Once I can compare a U2SVOH Gladius with the P7 Gladius, I may end up removing the P7 and replace it with another LED. Maybe a 120 lumen GDP, or a U2SWOH.

A GDP would be awesome in the Gladius.

A lot of throw with a beautiful beam pattern.

Russki

Enlightened
Hello datiLed.
Great mod.
Did you try to fit different reflectors in Gladius?
How it work out?
Thanks.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello datiLed.
Great mod.
Did you try to fit different reflectors in Gladius?
How it work out?
Thanks.

I checked out the McR 27 Seoul and CREE reflectors, and they are much too deep for use with the P4, or P7. While I am not a big fan of plastic reflectors, the stock reflector works great with the Seoul P4. I'd like to see how well it works with the Osram GDP once I remove the P7.