Cree R3/4 Led

jaybiz32

Enlightened
What had happened to the R3 and R4 led that was suppose to come out shortly after the R2. Is it around and if so anyone made a drop in with it?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It most certainly exists though as Cree announced volume availability of the R2 bin in the XP-E line. If they have that many R2s than they most certainly have R3s sitting on the shelf.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
It most certainly exists though as Cree announced volume availability of the R2 bin in the XP-E line. If they have that many R2s than they most certainly have R3s sitting on the shelf.

That's highly doubtful.

The XP-E uses the exact same die as the XR-E, providing XP-Es in the R2 flux bin is something rather trivial since the technology to get that sort of yield was already in existence prior to the introduction of the XP-E. It is not in the interest of any company to have inventory of any kind "sitting on the shelf" and collecting dust, if they had something to release, they would have. Especially considering that the pricing of the available LEDs keeps falling as the technology becomes less and less new. :shrug:

Just because there has not been a major increment in a while does not mean that Cree is hording parts for themselves. I'm sure that in due time we'll be seeing higher efficiency parts with more regularity once again, now that the dust of the two new products they launched in 2008 is settling.

-Enrique

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's highly doubtful.

The XP-E uses the exact same die as the XR-E, providing XP-Es in the R2 flux bin is something rather trivial since the technology to get that sort of yield was already in existence prior to the introduction of the XP-E. It is not in the interest of any company to have inventory of any kind "sitting on the shelf" and collecting dust, if they had something to release, they would have. Especially considering that the pricing of the available LEDs keeps falling as the technology becomes less and less new. :shrug:

Just because there has not been a major increment in a while does not mean that Cree is hording parts for themselves. I'm sure that in due time we'll be seeing higher efficiency parts with more regularity once again, now that the dust of the two new products they launched in 2008 is settling.

-Enrique
It is most highly, exceedingly, extremely likely that they have some on the shelf. The XP-E having the same die as the XR-E has nothing to do with anything. The key is in the fact that Cree announced, in their words, "High-Volume Availability" of the R2 bin. It is well known that production of things such as LED dies follows the "bell curve". Its late so I'm going to bed. I'll let you add 2+2.:D

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster: There R2 bin has been available, and obtainable, for over a year now. I've been dealing with Cree long before they were well known, and have been using their LEDs well before it was the popular thing to do, and was the first to use their power LEDs in flashlights back in 2005. You can believe what you'd like. I'll believe the words from the horse's mouth instead of speculating. :shrug:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster: There R2 bin has been available, and obtainable, for over a year now. I've been dealing with Cree long before they were well known, and have been using their LEDs well before it was the popular thing to do, and was the first to use their power LEDs in flashlights back in 2005. You can believe what you'd like. I'll believe the words from the horse's mouth instead of speculating. :shrug:
So you think they tell you everything they have up their sleeve just because you have been using their LEDs for awhile?:shakehead Do they magically start with enough of a bin the day they announce availability of a particular bin without having built up a supply beforehand? It would be silly of them to release a bin to high volume orders if they could not be filled quickly. Cree does not do business like that. But then you knew that since you have been using them all these years.

Did you notice that R3 bin is mentioned in XP-E binning and labeling guide? That must mean something :) Or not? :thinking:
Very good catch! And yes that does mean something. As in there will most likely be at least a low volume release of that soon. And it most certainly means they have the parts on the shelf.

KowShak

Enlightened
As was mentioned above, the production process does make parts whose performances and quantities fit a bell shaped curve. That means that there will be small quantities of LEDs made that could be binned as R3. Until Cree can reliably manufacture R3 bin LEDs in enough quantity to justify customer orders, they won't make them available to order and will simply stick them in the R2 bin.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is there XR-E R3 or not? lol
I'm not sure what is going on with them. They have R3 dice they are putting in the XP-E and selling in volume no less. For some reason they do not want to provide the XR-E with the higher powered dice. It seems they may be trying to artificially move people over to a different platform. Probably because they make more money on the new LEDs.:shrug: The XR-Es have a relatively expensive large chunk of SiC in them. I sure hope they don't move away from the XR-E though as it is the best platform from a thermal perspective and if you want an LED for lenses.