Combo main + back-up light ?

HighLumens

Enlightened
If you had to choose 1 main light and 1 back-up light, which ones would you choose?
Please, specify what purposes this combo is for, for example use it on a mountain trip, for city lighting needings ecc..

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the combo I use every day at work:

Main- Surefire L4
Back up- Inova X5

The L4 works great for looking into dark basements, crawl spaces, attics, etc. The X5 is mainly a way to carry a spare set of batteries. The best spares carrier is one that lights up! When the batteries die in the L4, I can then put them into the X5 and still get a little use from them.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I often carry a single multimode flashlight. When this is not the case, I combo the main light with a smaller multimode. Since usually the main light is more high-power and throw-oriented, I choose a floody companion to cover all bases, both in lumens range, beam shapes, and runtime options:

Main: Surefire C2 with M60
Secondary: BitZ

Main: Surefire 6Px with M60L
Secondary: Ra Twisty 100 Tw

Both these sets are on EDC rotation.

Also, almost all of my flashlights feed on 123s. The couple that use AAAs are carried toghether, providing backup to one another:

Main: Fenix L0D Q4
Secondary: Arc-P CS

This is also EDC, but lightweight, strictly summer (shorts) or around the house duty.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Main: Surefire E2E w/ OpticsHQ TLS Q5 LED head.

Back-up: Fenix L0D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The modded E2E works better than an L4, if you want a more balanced beam. The TLS head gives an amazing amount of throw for its size while maintaining a good amount of white sidespill.

The L0D is the one of the best overal AAA keychain lights ever made. I'm not an LEO, so the twist-only activation of the L0D is fine for my needs.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main- D10
Backup- ITP C9

Rotation- ITP C9 with C7 tube and switch
Backup- Inova X0

I like using the D10 for indoors sing it has a bigger spot and for distant lighting the C9 gets pulled out since too me it has better throw with small hotspot.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main: Ti PD-S mizer
Backup: Photon REX & Lummi Wee Ti

Only reason I list two backups is they're both on the same keyring. PD-S works good enough as a thrower for me, and it's usually my go-to light for general tasks at work as it resides on my belt; whereas I leave my keys in the desk drawer while working. And between the keychain lights, I use the REX more than the Wee. The Wee for me atleast is more of a show-off light and is only used to 'backup the backup'. The only light I can think of that's presently available which could ever replace my PD-S as an EDC is a LS20, but that's neither here nor there.

shomie911

Enlightened
Dream (lights I don't currently own):

Main: McGizmo LS20
Back-Up: McGizmo Sundrop

City:

Main: RA Clicky 140-Cn
Back-Up: Peak Kino Bay SSP4

Outdoors:

Main: Surefire A2-WH (4-sided)
Back-up: Arc-P AAA

Full-size:

Main: Surefire KT2/MN16/FM 2x 18650
Back-up: Surefire C2 with M60W

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC in my trousers: E1 modded with SSC P4 backed up by a fauxton.

Biking: For sale in sig backed up by L1T V2.0 Q2

tempman

Newly Enlightened
Cool thread idea.

I stock groceries for work, so I don't really need a backup light, but I do commute to work on a bike and get home around midnight, so....

Work--------------Nitecore NDI in a holster next to my boxcutter. No backup

Biking to work----- A single NDI in strobe mode aimed at windsheilds. the backup is my other NDI

Biking from work----Dual NDI. A handlebar mounted Q5 pointing ahead about 20ft, and a GDP version mounted on the fork right above the axle aimed at the ground about 10ft ahead. I don't feel a need for a backup with two well made lights, but I do take 4 extra charged 2450mah energizers in my pack. Cool thing about having dual lights, when I get close to a busy intersection or any dangerous situation, I quickly turn the NDI next to my grips into strobe mode and just as easily turn it back to normal mode.

Out and about-----An NDI with the backup being a Fenix eo1

Anytime I leave the house for more than a day, I bring both NDI's. After all, someone once said on a gun forum, "The best backup you can have is the exact same model of ______ that gets the same ammount of use as the other" I wish I knew who coined that wisdom....:thinking:

squareone

Newly Enlightened
Main Surefire 6P with M60
Backup fenix PD20

extreme backup 3 candles and a lighter:twothumbs

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main: either Jet II Pro IBS + 4 spare RCR123s or Jet III Pro ST + 1 spare 18650 (sometimes both)

Backup: Fenix E01 +1 spare AAA

Usage: EDC, fishing trips etc (the waterproofness and IBS make it ideal)

ugrey

Enlightened
Main: SureFire E2e with a KX2C LED head - This is my EDC BRIGHT, tactical light.

Back up: Fenix P2D - This is my general purpose use all the time light. On turbo mode it can be very bright in case my main tactical light is not working. Or, I can use it on low for loooong run times in case of an emergency. All I need most of the time is low mode. I use it many, many times a day in low mode.

Back up to my back up: Fenix LOD on my key chain.

Last edited:

sappyg

Enlightened
this is cool.... according to the OP i get to choose any light and am not limited to any of the lights i currently own. soooooo....
FrogmanM hit the nail on the head (and probably has both).
main light 007 (though i like the art decco look of the 005 better) edc
LunaSol SunDrop for backup.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Daily EDC: Novatac 120P with a Nitecore D10. I just got a Liteflux LF3XT for Christmas and have been playing with it. So far I still prefer the 120P, although the LF3XT is a cool little light!

For walking the dog, typically my Lumapower MRV P7 mod is primary with a 120P for backup.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corn Maze Combo:

M6 w/MN15 as primary
Aeon in my pocket

Default (workday) Combo:

E2e in my backpack
Aeon in my pocket

Weekend Combo:

Primary depends on what I'm doing
Aeon in my pocket

Vacation Combo:

Surefire E2O w/twisty switch
Arc AAA in my pocket

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
When camping my main is my Tiablo A8 WC R2 (modded) as it's versatile and is very well regulated on 1 x 18650 or CR 123a.

My backup is my bored out Surefire C2 with Dereelight 3SD WC R2 P60 module.

My backup to the backup is my Dereelight C2H R2.

All of these lights with SMO reflectors.

For EDC use my main is the Dereelight C2H R2 and my backup is my Olight T10 2008 edition WC R2 (modded).

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently:
Main: A2
Backup: 9Z with M60

Rough Neighborhood:
Main: 6PD with M60 and McC2S modified tailcap
Backup: X400 on Glock 18 (if I don't have to own the lights...)

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Main: Pelican 7060, Great throw, dual switch

Back-up: Gladius with led upgrade. strobe, low light to help maintain my night vision and temporary/tactical (3rd setting high) for use with pistol.

My second back up is my SF G2Z Led because I am supposed to be able to get 12 hours out of it for long searches.

I carry all three.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
Main: LF3XT in Concealco holster, IMR 16340

Backup: LF2 or LF2X on belt lanyard in back pocket, AW 10440

Hiking: L1D or L2D and Zebralight AA

A Photon Freedom backing up the backups.

And soon, maybe replacing one of the above: a neutral/warm flood drop-in in a 6P.