Anyone got the New Dereelight CL1H V4 MCE?

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
This light is now up on the Dereelight site and I wondered if anyone had one and how it would run on 2 CR123's?

Had a look for info on here but didn't come up with much.

Thanks, Kam.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like that may have just been added. Did the drive current go up? I thought it was 2.1A before, now 2.4A? Or maybe it was always 2.4A, not sure.

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Yep, 2.4 with a warning to lower the level if it gets too hot.
Has a 3SM to control and can also be run with a 4 CR123 extension tube as well as other rechargable's.
Looks like it might be a BiG Lumen Light!

$99 so a little more expensive than the normal.

Last edited:

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
There's no info in the Marketplace yet.
I wonder what sort of runtimes we could expect on high with 2CR123's?
Or will it burst into flames before the battery dies! LOL.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds exciting.
I would like to be able to have one with an 18650 though.

They should design a circuit for the new IMR18650's if they are worried about too much current draw from a regular 18650, but the market for that maybe limited.

You can get an extension tube for the CL1H V4 so you can run 2x18650's to drive the MC-E.

easilyled

Flashaholic
They should design a circuit for the new IMR18650's if they are worried about too much current draw from a regular 18650, but the market for that maybe limited.

You can get an extension tube for the CL1H V4 so you can run 2x18650's to drive the MC-E.

I like the compact size of the existing tube but am worried that the run-time with 2 CR123s or RCR123s will not be that impressive.
(I would guess half an hour with RCR123s, maybe a bit more with CR123s but at reduced output.)

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
There's no info in the Marketplace yet.
I wonder what sort of runtimes we could expect on high with 2CR123's?
Or will it burst into flames before the battery dies! LOL.

It was mentioned (kind of) a couple days ago on http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=186833

I say kind of b/c the MC-E was announced for the CL1H (post 259) and then in a separate post, the updated 3SM driver running at 2.4A was announced for the DBS V2/V3, which is also used in the CL1H. Very confusing to follow all of it!!

I definitely will be ordering once FlashCrazy has them in stock...I already have the C2H and DBS V2 so the CL1H will complete the family!

What is the max current the MC-E can be driven at? Isn't it close to 3.0a??

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Dereelight Website they state the following under the description of the MCE Pill for the CL1H: "3. please use the lower level if you CL1H MCE light get hot." I assume they are talking about the light output level when they mention lower level?:thinking:.

If they are talking about the lower output level than why spend $99 on a light that they recommend not using the highest output level cause of heat concerns, makes no sense?

Help???

Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
On the Dereelight Website they state the following under the description of the MCE Pill for the CL1H: "3. please use the lower level if you CL1H MCE light get hot." I assume they are talking about the light output level when they mention lower level?:thinking:.

If they are talking about the lower output level than why spend $99 on a light that they recommend not using the highest output level cause of heat concerns, makes no sense?

Help???

Dave

4-die leds like the MCE and P7 generate a tremendous amount of heat when driven at near to their recommended maximum.

For a light that is as compact as the CL1H, the heat-sinking is probably not adequate to be maintained at a current of 2.4A for a long period.

For a light the size of a D-cell Maglite, this wouldn't be a problem.

Its just common-sense in my opinion to dial down the output, if the light becomes very hot. Its a warning that needs to be heeded
if you don't want to blow the led.

If this is not for you, there are plenty of Maglite mods with P7s or MCE leds that are safe to run for longer periods.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
4-die leds like the MCE and P7 generate a tremendous amount of heat when driven at near to their recommended maximum.

For a light that is as compact as the CL1H, the heat-sinking is probably not adequate to be maintained at a current of 2.4A for a long period.

For a light the size of a D-cell Maglite, this wouldn't be a problem.

Its just common-sense in my opinion to dial down the output, if the light becomes very hot. Its a warning that needs to be heeded
if you don't want to blow the led.

If this is not for you, there are plenty of Maglite mods with P7s or MCE leds that are safe to run for longer periods.

Thanks for your response. I already own a Dereelight C2H and am really happy with it, truly a rocket out of the pocket. During the length of runtime while on high it does get warm enough to fry eggs on it. How do I know, cause I am living proof at said runtime test. :D

I guess I read and took Dereelights caution too seriously. Common sense would dictate one to step down the output when the torch got too hot to handle safely.

In all fairness, Dereelight does make a fine product line and have been quite happy with my C2H as my EDC. I could very well see getting the CL1H V4 MCE as my next light, of couse with the tube extention so it could handle the 18650's... With the form factor as is it would be awesome for the amount of output!

Dave

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

2,4-3A is not a problem for regular 18650 because it's only 1-1,2C (1,5-2C is safe). They should be worried now because 1,2-1,5A is over 2C from RCR123...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Help???

Dave

They didn't say anything about not using high, they said if you are using high and the light gets to hot after awhile you should drop to a lower mode. How long this is I'm not sure. It could get too hot after 5-10 minutes, we'll have to wait and see once one of us gets our hands on one.

If you don't think you're capable of determining when the light is getting to hot after running for awhile on high, then avoid the light. I for one don't normally run high for that long, and if I was I would know when the light is getting too warm/hot and either shut it down, or drop to a lower level.

I'm hoping it's similar to my P7 prototype as I like to run it on low for a nice floody walking light, and then I have medium and high if needed.

I'm looking into getting a 2nd CL1H V4 with the ext tube. This way I can run 2x18650's if I think I'll need the run time.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a DBS MC-E pill in a dropin in a 6P for a little while. I never had it on High for more than 6 minutes or so and didn't notice any heat. Put out a lot of light in a very wide beam.

Last edited:

andi555

Newly Enlightened
I finally ordered the CL1H V4 MC-E now! I also ordered the extension tube because I think normal protected RCR123 Li-Ion cells do not really fit because of the high current and the low runtime. I also thought to use IMR16340 cells but there is no protection then and I am afraid to overdischarge the cells!

Stefans

Newly Enlightened
2,4-3A is not a problem for regular 18650 because it's only 1-1,2C (1,5-2C is safe). They should be worried now because 1,2-1,5A is over 2C from RCR123...
I need to get something explained about the RCR:s discharge rate because I'm not quite following:
1 RCR123 is about 750 mAh => 1C =750mA
2 RCR123 in series wouldn't that double the capacity to 2x750mA = 1.5A =1C discharge rate??
The voltage and the energy is doubled of course, but what about current capability?
The discharge rate is still only 750mA per battery, or can the chemistry inside the batteries simply not handle the higher current anyway??
Can someone enlighten me please??

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

<rant>This would be true if you could find a cell that had 750mAh... In reality the best AW RCR123s are about 550mAh @ 1C. I am not sure why the 750mAh myth has been perpetuated so long. That myth is what led people to believe an RCR123 has the same energy in it as a 14500, which is actually accurately rated at 750mAh. On average they have about 30% more energy. </rant>

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to get something explained about the RCR:s discharge rate because I'm not quite following:
2 RCR123 in series wouldn't that double the capacity to 2x750mA = 1.5A =1C discharge rate??
The voltage and the energy is doubled of course, but what about current capability?
The discharge rate is still only 750mA per battery, or can the chemistry inside the batteries simply not handle the higher current anyway??
Can someone enlighten me please??

When you have the higher voltage, the regulation circuit in the head drops the voltage to the head, and allows less current to be drawn from the cells (same current delivered to the LED). Still as the voltage drops it will want more current from the cells. This is why the current draw might be too high for a single regular 18650 as it's output voltage sags.

Latest posts