The importance of tailstanding

jonesy

Enlightened
I'm sure we've all been here before.

3146939621_32a4a8e567_o.jpg

Life would definitely be more difficult without proper lighting. ;)

Art

Enlightened
That is something I really like on my D10... in xmas we had 10mins of dinner with my L0D in the table serving as a candle for more than 20 people because the lights when of due to over voltage .
Its probably the only thing I dont like in my Led Lensers.

Regards,

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the ability to tailstand lights during power outages. It makes lighting up a room much easier.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If I am at home it isn't necessary for me as I have lanterns to light up the place. Something almost as nice as tailstanding is a diffuser. and a diffuser plus tailstanding makes a lantern of sorts.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure we've all been here before.

3146939621_32a4a8e567_o.jpg

Life would definitely be more difficult without proper lighting. ;)

Happens to me all the time :D ..... part of the job
I normally hold my Novatac in my mouth (not a pretty sight)

lumengeek

Newly Enlightened
haha that's what I've been doing at work recently in the evenings, except I stand the light on the window shelf instead. I could just switch the lights on but that would be boring :laughing:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I had to do this within a week of deciding to EDC a flashlight. Power went out in a 4 story building, I was on the 3rd, no emergency lighting in the bathroom (why do they design things like this?), bathroom was central to the building (no windows). I can't remember which light that was, though. Fenix T1 perhaps? I don't think they tailstand well, but I remember sticking it between the plumbing and the wall.

EDIT: Please note, it was the flashlight that was stuck between the plumbing and the wall, to avoid any confusion.

Last edited:

jonesy

Enlightened
Ha, there really isn't any other good spot to put the light, other than on the sink. Definitely helps prevent having to spray and pray, so to speak.

I'm actually considering selling my L1 just because I end up using the tailstanding feature of my Novatac and 6P quite often. That, and I guess I like the more floody beam characteristics of the others.

Here's the light in the photo, in case anyone was wondering. It's just a 6P with the M60L, a Novatac pocket clip, and a Leef tailcap. Makes a great EDC!

3147043561_5b78bf3b64.jpg

3147877550_c4d4c0d4d1.jpg

3147877630_dff436eda4.jpg

dalton

Newly Enlightened
I need that tailcap for my 6P. Anyone know where to get one these days? Doesn't have to be Leef, but I can't find a tailcap for my 6P that will stand. Need to get one that allows standing for my E1e too.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that tail stand capability can be quite useful. This is especially true in places outside the home or vehicle where lanterns and headlamps may not be available. Some lights can be a bit unstable if their long and extremely top heavy.

Toaster

Enlightened
I like tailstanding as well but question you decision to place your light where you did :p

LOL, my thoughts exactly. In a situation like that I'd simply drape the light around my neck using the lanyard instead of risking contamination. But to each their own :laughing:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, my thoughts exactly. In a situation like that I'd simply drape the light around my neck using the lanyard instead of risking contamination. But to each their own :laughing:

Lets hope your lanyard is not too long :naughty:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I find tail standing a useful feature, so long as it doesn't hinder the operation of the switch. Anti roll bezel is slightly higher up on my priority list though. IMHO both almost do the same thing.

1dash1

Enlightened
For single-mode lights, I appreciate the tailstanding feature.

For my multi-mode lights, I'm frequently changing output levels to adjust for changing lighting conditions and I'm often using the flashlight one-handed (my dog is on leash with the other hand). Many of the tailstanding lights are not-so-easy to operate one-handed, e.g., D10, 120P, Incendio. They are not hard to operate - they just aren't as easy to operate as some of the flashlights with tactical switches.

(I've switched out the 120P's flat switch for a tactical switch. I've added a button to the D10. The ease of use, for me, has greatly improved. As for the Incendio, I'm waiting for stock to replace the switch cover. My guess is that the improvement will be equally rewarding.)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love tailstanding lights too.

(Readers discreation advised for next bit).

Many years ago I was once in a store bathroom taking a, erm No2 when some smart a$$ kid thought it would be fun to turn out the light on his way out
rant.gif
- knowing full well what I was doing.:toilet: Luckly I had my half-trusty Mini Mag 2xAA in my jacket pocket (which was tricky to find at the time with no light etc), so I switched it on and could see what I needed to do, finished up, washed up, and contently left the bathroom knowing that the experience could easily have been rather sour without my EDC.

Worst part was that I never found the kid that turned of the light behind him. :shrug:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the tailstanding ability of my lights everyday. So I always have at least one on me that does. Lately, it's been either my D10 or EX10.