Who has a faulty LD01?

rockz4532

Enlightened
i want to see how many of you have flickering LD01's, and what you did to solve it. i have a black LD01 and flickers and changes modes all the time with a fresh eneloop. I really love the design of the light, but the flickering has made me not EDC it.:sigh:

rockz4532

Enlightened
and send one that isnt faulty? if most are, then all are, right? or they fixed it now and are sending new ones. either way, i want to see how many people have bad LD01s

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a lot of faulty SS ones. I had one that I returned for replacement.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
I got a bad aluminum/black one a few days ago that would switch modes by itself into low, then high mode without any prompting on my part. I emailed Fenix store who were nice enough to send a replacement in the mail before I returned the bad one (hopefully the replacement works better).

I may be wrong, but other than the Arc AAA and the Fenix E01 (which are both lights that use Nichia LEDs), I wonder if there's a properly working AAA light out there (that uses a Cree/Phillips/non-Nichia LED).

I have a Lumapower Avenger, which had a lot of problems with the switch. I was lucky enough to get a redesigned replacement switch from the nice folks at Battery Junction, but the light still flickers and I consider it undependable.

I bought one of the higher rated DX AAA lights, and when it arrived I popped in a battery, which was immediately and permanently jammed in the body (which wasn't machined right). So when the battery went dead, I chucked that light.

I ordered a Tiablo A1 (in my quest for a decent non-nichia AAA light) which seems to be sold out for the rest of eternity, so that's out of
the picture.

I was hoping the LD01 was the light I was looking for, but it seems to have a circuit issues.

I wish Zebralight would make a AAA light.

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
I started a thread a few days ago titled "LD01 Flickers".

Following is a quote of one of my last posts on it:

"I cleaned it carefully with alcohol & a swab. I also tried a new battery.

It actually flickers for a bit after I turn it on in medium, then goes off on it's own. then back on in low, and the beam becomes inconsistent.

I just emailed the 4Sevens Store about returning it."

They since emailed an RMA # for a warantee return.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was faulty but in a different way. The part of the head that goes over the o-ring was too small. I couldn't tighten the head down to even try it out. It cut up the o-ring. It isn't back from Fenix Store yet. I have the SS model.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a Tiablo A1 (in my quest for a decent non-nichia AAA light) which seems to be sold out for the rest of eternity, so that's out ofthe picture.

Bugoutgear has the A1 and MA1 if you didn't know.

sbdwag

Newly Enlightened
I bought Mine in December. Mine flickered and constantly changed modes also. I cleaned my with contact cleaner spray and also cleaned the threads and have not had any problems with it since.

Regards
sbdwag

rockz4532

Enlightened
i have cleaned mine with alcohol numerous times, but doesnt work. It makes flickering happen after 30 seconds instead of 5, but i consider that not useful. also mine has an emitter that is REALLY off center, which i plan to not see on my replacement.

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
It probably depends on how you define faulty. I am confident there are more people out there that received LD01s with problems that were solved by cleaning.

Most people expect the things they buy to work right off without fixes.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Doesn't really apply in this case Hiker, cos it's clear due to the fact that the level jumps. Hence pointing to faulty electronics, and not anything intermitent due to dirt and such.