Operating LF2X with One Hand?

snakyjake

Enlightened
Is the LiteFlux LF2X easily operated (on/off/brightness levels) by one hand? Or do you need two hands to twist the light to different modes?

One feature I appreciate about a button switch light is the ability to operate the light one-handed. I'm hoping for the same convenience from a twisty light.

Thanks,

Jake

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
It's a little too slick to turn with one hand, I wrapped the LF2X with a rubber band, and that works fine until I get something more durable.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be done but takes a bit to first turn it on. Operating between the brightness levels is easy once on. The problem is that the LF2X is tightned down to turn off (unlike the Fenix LOD). This has a benifit and a drawback - it is less likely to accidently turn on but is harder to turn on with one hand if it is tightened snug while off.

I had both the LOD-Q4 and still have the LF2X. I like the versitality of the LF2X better. The LOD is still a great light and I would highly recommend it. The LOD is easier to operate one handed and is also lighter. Both great lights.

snakyjake

Enlightened
The Fenix L0D looks like a good light. From reading the manual about the UI, it seems there's a lot of back/forth twisting to switch output modes. If the back/forth twisting is easy, smooth, and without fuss, then I might look more closer and the L0D option. But if the L0D wasn't made for one handed use, I'll move on from my one-handed requirement.

I've been hoping to find a super compact light that I can switch and vary the output one-handed.

If I can't find a AAA light, I'll stick with a button cell light.

Thanks.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i found it easy to operate on 1 hand, though it may be due to my small hands :shrug:

jenskh

Enlightened
If I turn off my LF2X by using just one hand, it is normally easy to turn it on by one hand. If I use both hands to turn it off, it may be difficult to turn on by using just one hand because I normally have tightened it a little too much.:)

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
If I turn off my LF2X by using just one hand, it is normally easy to turn it on by one hand. If I use both hands to turn it off, it may be difficult to turn on by using just one hand because I normally have tightened it a little too much.:)
The same for me too, and I usually use two hands as the light turns on if just slightly opened (1-2 degrees of turn- is this a possible defect?) so I need to make sure it is completely closed.

jenskh

Enlightened
Also mine turns on after just a mm or so of rotation, so also I usually use both hands and close tightly. I have however never experienced that the light has turned on accidentally even when just closed lightly.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I agree with what was said above, the LF2X needs to be firmly turned to off, and it may be a defect in the design that on is so close to off. But when turned firmly off, it stays there. Since the finish on the LF2X is so smooth, and there isn't deep knurling to get a grip with, adding the rubber band allows the light to be turned solidly off with one hand. There is a grip tape that will work also, but I haven't looked for it yet.

But don't let that put you off getting the LF2X. I love mine, and gladly work around the small problems (the other one being the lanyard attachment, see my post at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/215137) in order to have its beautiful white beam, being able to use the AW 10440 Li-ion to double the output, the battery level check, and the ability to program the beam to different settings, especially a great low.

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
One way to turn the LF2X off is by turning the head CW until it turns off. It is then easy to turn on with one hand, but the higher setting comes on first unless you turn it far enough to engage the low setting. This is easy to do since there is about a one second delay before the light actually turns on at the initial twist position. It has been reported that turning it off this way does not place a small drain on the battery as turning it off normally does. You probably have to use both hands to get to any of the settings using double twists or more.

snakyjake

Enlightened
Thanks all. I'm going to post a similar question and open it up to any one handed AAA light.

I agree that the LF2X is a nice light, but I really need something one hand. For example, I have my kid carried in one arm, and need some light. More awkward to work the light with two hands when the other hand isn't not easily available. Sure, it can be done, and not a huge deal. But right now I have a super compact button cell light that works fine. Just need something brighter and with easier to attain batteries.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Jake, I have a good number of AAA lights and find the LF2 to be very awkward to operate one handed. Hurt my right hand yesterday and am now typing with my left hand. At least for me it's the same thing; not impossible, but not optimal either.

If you don't care about accessing anything other than a basic light output setting whenever operating one-handed, I feel much better about suggesting an L0D or Arc, both of which I just tried with my weak hand and found to be quite easy. Again, for me the LF2 is definitely a two-hand light while I never use two hands when using one of my Arc's.