2C Design Study

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
My recent flashlight mods have been based around the Micropuck. I really like the ease of use with the Micropuck. Battery life is good and I don't mind that the light will slowly dim when the batteries start draining.

The first light is a 2d Mag, 30mm optic, high dome, and Micropuck. Great light, but I choose my Elektro Lumens Blaster over this mod when I pick up a larger light.

The second light is a Brinkmann Legend 2AA, NX-o1 optic, low dome emitter, and Micropuck. This is a great light that I carry with me. Nice flood beam and I love the tailswitch on the Legend.

The third light in the photo is a rough protoype that I'm using for design ideas. I really like the thought of a 2c light using a Micropuck and 30mm optic. I took some quick dimensions and cut parts to visualize size. I will probably have to lengthen the body, but hopefully not more than 1/2 inch. I don't have a Kroll tailswitch, but I would like to incorporate one similar to the McLux. I just guessed on dimensions, but it is more for visualizing the light anyway. I think this light can be constructed very close to the size of the prototype shown. I need to start working on the design aspect of the light now that I have the rough size determined.

profiles.jpg

sidebyside.jpg

hand.jpg

My main problem now is how I plan to make it. I don't have a lathe, but I do have cnc mills at my office. Without investing in tooling to cut threads on the mill, I'll probably make one by epoxying some of the pieces together and using a screw or two for the other pieces. This light should get some decent burn time and the size isn't too big.

Any thoughts on this project are welcomed.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or does anyone else see the remote linking forbidden for free accounts message instead of pictures?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

is that the machinable wax?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks almost like a stereo lithography job to me. We have the capability in house at work.

Larry

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
woodbender, that is one nice design. Very compact, no wasted space. You are one committed guy. I have Elektrolumens 2C regulated lite, and I really like it. It is a larger format than yours, and does not have the 30 mm columator. Output is about 350-375 mA. I would buy your 2C light when completed. What output would your lite have, and what would approximate run time be. I tested my 2C regulated, and I got over 8 hours of consistant high output light. Bill

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
The remote linking picture comes up from time to time. I didn't realize it would be a problem when I started linking. Here is a link to the pictures, but it has the dreaded "pop-ups".
http://woodbender.freeservers.com/custom.html
It is 3 machined pieces of natural abs. I'm about to do an initial prototype out of aluminum. It won't be threaded, but I have ways around it at first.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
stereo lithography you say?

oh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

it is certainly nice looking stuff...what would one use it for? does it have any special properties that might be useful in a flashlight?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oops...two replies cut in line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

natural abs? what about that stuff? anything use fult in a flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
I have Elektrolumens 2C regulated lite, and I really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any idea where those are available?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics are working for me now. Good looking. I like the shrouded kroll switch idea. When production time comes Knurling or rubber coating please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rebus

Enlightened
I'll put in a yes vote for a 2C
design. This would be no bigger
than a Tec40 and with the 30MM
optics & BB electronics it
would throw great.
Sign me up!

-Rebus

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Empath, I got my regulated 2C lite from one of Wayne's auctions. It has small optic. Great runtime. He likes Micropucks, so that may be regulation? I have been thinking about asking him if he would install a 30 mm columator in place of small optic.