LS20 led change???

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of questions that I would like to get the answer to.....

I like the idea and color rendition of the sundrop, however I need something with some throw to "replace" my black HA3 Surefire A2. I think the LS20 will fit the bill nicely from what I have read. Smaller and relatively the same output.....

So my questions are

1) can the sundrop led work with a reflector?

2) has anyone tried to replace the reflector on the LS20 with something like a P7 or R2? What would that do to the beam? Would it get brighter, widen etc?

3) has anyone increased the power output to the main LED in the LS20?

Thanks
Curtis

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
I don't actually own an LS20, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I think your best bet would be to track down a warm-white Osram Golden Dragon LED, as I believe this is a direct replacement for the LED already in your LS20. As with all warm-white LEDs, you will take a hit in luminous efficiency for a more pleasant tint.

Because of the LS20's small reflector, I don't think replacing the current LED with a P7 or R2 Cree will give you any benefit in terms of throw. You will probably end up with a slightly brighter but more floody beam. I wouldn't recommend the mod because of the lack of space within the LS20's head and the need to enlarge the reflector opening to fit the larger LED's dome.

It is possible to increase the power to the main led in the LS20. Because the main LED uses a separate board to the outer LED ring, its power can be increased with no effect on the light's low mode. CPF member darkzero has performed this mod for a few LS27s, I believe.

I think that if you want throw and colour rendition, your best bet is to stick with the A2. I run mine using a Lumens Factory HO-A2 bulb and AW LiFePO4 cells and it is a bright, rechargeable package, while still relatively compact.

My LS27 does not match the A2 for throw or colour rendition outdoors and I'm sure this won't be the case for the LS20 either. Although the LS20 offers a more EDC friendly form factor than the A2, I don't think it or any other light has yet made the A2 obsolete.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Curtis,

IIRC Don said that the Nichia 083 High CRI (SunDrop LED) is not friendly with refelctors and it most likely won't work in the LS20.

As UTWN has pointed out, the LS20 is a tight fitted package and not mod friendly, and if you mod the main LED you will most likely end up with a floody main beam, if it works at all. I would not recommend it. The LS20 works perfectly well as is and will most likely suffer in function when modded with a different kind of LED.

The current increase should be possible if done by a skilled person as mentioned.

bernie

Here's a pic of the real estate in the LS20 head:

LunaSol20-frontend.jpg

LunaSolConverters.jpg

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cue003,

The LS20 is a perfect replacement for your SureFire A2--just as it is. You'll LOVE IT, if you get it. You won't need more power to the LED. You'll find it bright enough and will love the 2 hour runtime.

Or at least these are my predictions!

carrot

Flashaholic
Like js said,

try the LS without modding it, give it a good fair chance. You will love it. As an A2 fanatic, I love my LS27, which is already brighter than the A2. Looks like I'll be needing an LS20 too.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright... guess it is time to send of an email to Don for a new light. It has been a while since I bought myself a new light anyway.

Took me a while to catch back up with everything... was dormant for a while... new LED's with the P7, R2 and the Nichia and such and so many new players. Made me feel like a kid again in the toy store with so many choices. Hahaha

Happy New Year to all.

Curtis

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
JS was very instrumental in peaking my interest in the LS20 as I was not originally desirous of it... he was completely right about this light and now, it is one of my absolute favorites.

It is a fantastic light!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I would love an LS 20 if it had different LED's.

The main emitter is an oddball in my eyes, why is nobody else using it, an XP-E would be good for future lights but right now a regular cree or seoul would be great. Especially if it's a warm variety! The uber cool 3mm are not flattering at all in a light of that price, to me anyway.

If you had different emitters the rest of the light would be a joy to own.

I guess I fall into the category of people that think for that much money I should get what I want from a light instead of the light that the maker is interested in and believes in.........:laughing: That line of his gets me every time!

McGizmo also says that 18650 Li-ions not suitable for general consumers and that statement makes me curious. That's how he feels but I think CPF members are not general consumers by any stretch of the imagination. $500+ Ti lights are not being used by general consumers either. Unless they are gifts given by flashaholics and in that case they should be responsible enough to explain everything. If a dozen light makers can make a safe 18650 flashlight I think he can manage.
I think he just doesn't believe in Li-ions. :) One day maybe the battery tech will catch up to his safety goals.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Sgt. LED, if I am not mistaken, Nitecore is using a similar LED (GD+ instead of GD) and in my single sample of one, the LS27 has a gorgeous flood beam as put out by the 3mm LEDs. I have three McGizmos right now and I think the maker's choices are very sound-- in other words, if Don puts out a light I know he has made it to the best of practicality and his ability.

I have no doubts that when I pick up a LS20 I will be happy with it, and if I don't I will be able to sell it and recoup my losses 100%. Certainly if you are interested even marginally it is worth checking out. Don also takes returns but I have never considered doing so.

As far as 18650's I was almost certain his HD45 could use them, but I think Don's current interest in making small lights precludes his making of 18650 and very many 2x123 bodies. Plus with all the hubub about 2x123 and li-ion lights venting he may be choosing to take the safe side. After all, it only hurts him if a customer gets hurt.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
All good points. Plus I totally forgot the GD+ Nitecore offerings!

I AM certainly interested. :grin2: Sadly cool tints keep me away.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HD45's do accept 18650's. I believe that the Ra Twisty 85 uses the same LED as well. I did not like the beam from the 85 as the tint was cool and the hotspot was very narrow; the beam from the smaller diameter reflector in the LS20 is better IMO but the tint is still cool.

Regardless of the cool tint and my slight bias against cooler tints, the LS20 does so well everywhere else that it does not bother me at all.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would love an LS 20 if it had different LED's.

The main emitter is an oddball in my eyes, why is nobody else using it, an XP-E would be good for future lights but right now a regular cree or seoul would be great. Especially if it's a warm variety! The uber cool 3mm are not flattering at all in a light of that price, to me anyway.

If you had different emitters the rest of the light would be a joy to own.

I guess I fall into the category of people that think for that much money I should get what I want from a light instead of the light that the maker is interested in and believes in.........:laughing: That line of his gets me every time!

McGizmo also says that 18650 Li-ions not suitable for general consumers and that statement makes me curious. That's how he feels but I think CPF members are not general consumers by any stretch of the imagination. $500+ Ti lights are not being used by general consumers either. Unless they are gifts given by flashaholics and in that case they should be responsible enough to explain everything. If a dozen light makers can make a safe 18650 flashlight I think he can manage.
I think he just doesn't believe in Li-ions. :) One day maybe the battery tech will catch up to his safety goals.

The LunaSol 20 was originally designed around the Lumileds Rebel LED. I had a reel of premium Rebels mounted on custom MCPCB's and prior to actually starting to build the lights I was informed that the Rebels were subject to a recall and likely faulty. Fortunately, during the same time frame, I had been sent some samples of the Osram Dragon LED and I found that due to the lack of dome and the small die in the Dragon I could actually fit this LED into the already designed and in process LunaSol 20 package. When you design and build a light, you are constrained by the physics and geometries of the real world and stringing a concept together with words identifying components does not insure that the concept will actually work. A Cree or Seoul LED will not work in the LunaSol 20 or with its reflector. IMHO, the Osram package is a very solid and nice design and it it is an oddball because others aren't using it then so be it. I would guess that others aren't using it because it is a recent addition to the line up and it is not on par, flux wise, with the LED's using the Cree EZ1000 chip. I have found that the dragon has worked quite satisfactorily in the LunaSol 20. I suspect the Nichia 3 mm LED's are really more of an oddball than the Dragon if the basis is use and familarity in the flashlight market.

I think if you spend $.50 or $5000 on an item you should get what you want. Further you have the choice and it is a choice that should make sense to you and one that possibly you might believe in. If you find humor in the fact that I build lights that I am interested in and I believe in then so be it. I would suggest though that having these motivations go a long way in terms of feeling satisfaction and justification in ones efforts; success or failure aside. Instead of designing and building something that makes sense to me are you suggesting I should take direction instead from a comment like yours above and attempt to build something that won't work properly because it is something you want?

In regards to Li-Ion, I am a firm believer in the potential and desirability of such an energy dense battery. I will and have paid a premium for Li-Ion in some of the tools and devices I have. My cameras and phones and lap tops have been powered by Li-Ion for some time now. There was a time, before your time, when it seemed from some vocal CPF members that a good choice of battery was the 17500 Li-Ion battery and there was some good reasoning behind this. I had a bunch of Aleph tubes made for such a battery. I believe the Shoppe still has some of these available and I think I gave them a whole slew of them when I left Berkeley. I designed a couple battery tubes based on the 18650 but came to find that at the time various offshore manufacturers were just ading their labels and wrappings over the manufacturers and some of these batteries were too damn fat to fit in the battery tubes. I want my designs to work on proven and internationally acceptable and available batteries. The CR123 is available from well established manufacturers and there is some good value offered by some of our CPF vendor friends on these batteries in addition to the common store offerings. Is an 18650 and approptiate charger available in brick and mortor under a well known brand? If I sell one of my lights to a LEO or fireman can they get batteries for it locally or online from a general consumer based supply or do they need to immerse themselves in CPF or hobby RC to find a solution?

All of the titanium lights and the majority of the Aluminum lights I have designed and built are based on a 13/16"x20 thread geometry that mates the head to battery pak. An 18650 battery will not pass through this coupling. The converters and driver packages I have been working with are based on this geometry as well and to go to the larger diameter dictated by the 18650 would require new geometry for the electronics as well. For me to commit to using the 18650, I would need to start over and this includes sourcing new converters based on new critical diameters. I am not against doing this but I am in no rush to do so and I would be more inclined to do so if there were an accepted mainstream 18650 on the market. In the mean time, there are the R123 cells that are compatible with the present geometries and on occasion if one is lucky, there is the 17650 or 17500 that will also work. The fat ones push the diameter restriction too far.

We all have choices and I am a firm believer in making choices that make sense to us regardless of how goofy they may seem to someone else; unless we aim to live our lives by the standards of others and not our own. :shrug:

Criticism, constructive or otherwise, can be quite beneficial but it has the most merit when it is based on a firm understanding of what is at hand and the realities present.

Since I have now posted in this thread, I should at least address the OP.

The Nichia 083 LED has 6 dice and it is not well collimated nor does a collimated beam hold up to present standards as set by the other contemporary LED's. Tint and actual color rendition are much more independent of each other than many believe but that is not to say that the LED manufacturers can't and won't continue to improve these LED's to the point that we can make assumptions based on tint and find that the assumptions do hold up. By the same token, I am hoping to see some cool white tint LEDs that don't fall apart and leave us wishing for better color rendition and warmth. The reflector in the LunaSol 20 requires a flat LED package with reasonably small die to perform as designed. The most popular LED's today do not meet these requirements.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OK, you didn't want to make the reflector deeper and lengthen your light so you went with the Golden Dragon, I get it. Why start over.
Ignore me.

I find humor in your statement mostly because you say it so much.
Ignore me.

I think a business man should always try to take feedback and direction from potential customers. I'm sure lots of our ideas won't work but sometimes you learn more from the attempts that don't work out. If you make something to a user's specs and it doesn't work then it's all on the guy who ordered the impossible. I am sure you make a very good living on making what you want, why change how you do business now.
Ignore me.

Li-ions.......... well what police and firemen are buying your lights that are not already flashaholics? How would someone not in this hoby even find you to buy one of your lights? Do you have a traditional webstore or posssibly a B&M somewhere? I'd love to visit and see all your stuff in person if you do!

I can totally understand not wanting to retool from the ground up just so you can accomidate the fatter cell. I don't blame you! Lots of $$ on your end that won't be easily passed on to the consumer.
Ignore me.

Thank you for helping me gain a firmer understanding of what is at hand and a present reality. I hope to one day get one of these LS20's but it will have to be after I get over my current preference for warm emitters.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
OK, you didn't want to make the reflector deeper and lengthen your light so you went with the Golden Dragon, I get it. Why start over.
Ignore me.

The reflector already existed but making it deeper would not make it more accessible to the Cree or Seoul?!?! The LunaSOl 20 was based with first restriction being that of a 1" OD head. Second requirement was a ring of 3 mm LED's which further restricted the diameter of the center reflector. To accommodate a Cree or Seoul with such a small diameter reflector would have resulted in a shallower reflector with most light lost in spill. The Nichias provide for flood and I wanted the center beam to be concentrated in spill angle which requires depth in the reflector. I won't claim or tell someone else that they will be satisfied or happy with the results. I figure I can and should at least comment from my perspective but it seems I have repeated myself too often perhaps.

I think a business man should always try to take feedback and direction from potential customers. I'm sure lots of our ideas won't work but sometimes you learn more from the attempts that don't work out. If you make something to a user's specs and it doesn't work then it's all on the guy who ordered the impossible. I am sure you make a very good living on making what you want, why change how you do business now.
Ignore me.

I don't discount the feedback or comments from folks any more than I deem necessary or by what I consider to be relevance. Obviously I am quite limited in my scope and number of projects and every light or item out there is as much about compromise as it is about focus or intent.

Li-ions.......... well what police and firemen are buying your lights that are not already flashaholics? How would someone not in this hoby even find you to buy one of your lights? Do you have a traditional webstore or posssibly a B&M somewhere? I'd love to visit and see all your stuff in person if you do!

It seems that there are growing numbers who contact me on the suggestion of a friend who is a member of CPF but these folks have not immersed themselves in the ins and outs of CPF nor do they have a full background or understanding of these lights and the various batteries. There are other forums I take it where some of my lights are suggested as well and again, the knowledge of the lights and much that is taken for granted on CPF is not known by these individuals. However that really isn't the point or justification for my present position or design criteria.

On the other hand, if Li-Ion is so great (as we both agree) and safe as you maintain, why hasn't it been accepted and become mainstream? The 18650 has been around for a number of years and they can outperform the NiMH in many regards and certainly have their advantages! Why aren't we seeing an 18650 from SF or Pelican or Streamlite for instance? Yes some of those manufacturers are using Li-Ion but it is in OEM and non universal packaging and applications. I respect the reason for this and since I am not in a position to design and offer and stand behind my own Li-Ion package, I fall back on the readily available lithium primaries.

I can relate to your frustrations and desire to see lights that meet your priorities and desires. I joined CPF as a consumer and interested party much as you are. I ultimately tired of my requests and suggestions going unanswered and decided to just modify and build as I saw fit. Others liked and requested what I was doing and as time marched on, I got sucked in to the point I now find myself.

You tell me to ignore you but I realize the risk I take in doing so. How about you ignore me and then there will be no need for me to ignore you. :nana:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:crackup: It's a deal!

:) Thanks for sharing, really. It would be great if I could get sucked in and do this for a living! I guess I ought to at least learn to solder better first.

It was been good to have some communication with you and learn a few things about what motivates you. I am now a little better off than when I woke up this morning and that's about as good as I can expect it to get.

One day I will have to get a light from you. Have a good night sir.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone who has posted and thanks for keeping civil in the conversation.

Don, always a pleasure to see you post in my threads.

Curtis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone who has posted and thanks for keeping civil in the conversation.

Don, always a pleasure to see you post in my threads.

Curtis

From this point forward, please refer to Mr. McGizmo as either "Mr. McGizmo" or "The Don":devil:

:poke: