Should I get a D10? or no?

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
I'm ryaxnb, also known as Ryan Butler. I'm 15 years old and I love flashlights. It's a recurring obsession. So i've been getting ever better flashlights, starting with a few 5mm cluster lights (decent), then the big boy Cree lights, and now I bought a Romisen RC-I3. Now I have $30 paypal left from christmas, a DS I don't use, and $42 in my wallet (as well as $25 in the bank, but that's savings). I want want want a Nitecore D10, and I just can't decide.:thinking: If I sell my DS I should be able to buy the Nitecore and still have a lot left over. Or I could sell the DS and buy something else. But anyway, here's my money scenario:
Total $97 now, with $12.50 a week allowance.
About $30-50 from selling the DS
10 months of no money except allowance. (birthday in October)
3 lights so far: Energizer 1 watt, Romisen RC-I3, and 2C cell 3.8 watt ~150 lumen 1-stage light.
I only use lights when I go out walking at night to ride the bus, camping, at our remote property w/o electricity we go to about three times a year (for three nights), in cars (2 of which don't have lights on the inside), and when the power goes out, which happens about twice to four times a year, for periods ranging from 2 hours to a day and a half. In case you noticed, we live in a rural area, so most roads don't have lights and the power does have a tendency to go out sometimes.
What would be the best plan to satisfy my lighting addiction? I just bought the Romisen RC-I3, but I'm itching to get my first "real" light. :p But I'm not sure if I would need it.
And one other question:
Best Light:
If anyone can recommend a light other than the D10 that's in the $30-65 price range, is on ebay or a paypal-accepting website (due to gift card) and has multi-mode (at least two) and runs on either one AA or one 123A, then I'd consider it. I'm liking the D10's large mode collection, high-rate PWM (though continous would be better but makes more than ~4 modes impossible), small size and reasonable price ($59.99 on ebay.) I also like the beam - I prefer something with a beam that isn't heavily leaning towards spot, to the contrary a little flood can be nice, but too much is not good, and average Cree/Golden Dragon beams are good too. Any LED type is decent, providing at least ~85 lumens on high would be nice and a runtime of at least 40 minutes on a ~100 lumen mode on AA (adjust for higher/lower lumen lights, e.g. 1 hour for a ~85 lumen light or for the turbo mode of a ~125 lumen light ~27 minutes.)
Being able to be powered by Lithium is essential. Lithium being either a Lithium-ion 14500 AA size 3.7V battery, a 123A Lithium style or just a 1.5V Lithium Energizer AA (which is quite nice, because then I could use NiMH and Alkaline as well.)
Sorry for the long-winded post but making a big light decision is hard.:sigh: And with limited funds and so many good under $65 lights to choose from. One more thing... is the L2D's whine bad? I'm pretty sensitive to whining electronics. I know the L2D has best performance from Alkalines, but is weaker with 14500 Lithium-ion cells than the nitecore (no full support) and is almost equivalent with Lithium and NiMH high-capacity AA cells. Furthermore, the L2D is rather large compared to the D10.

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
The D10 is a nice light and well worth the money. But if you are like most flashaholics, you will soon get a little itch for another light.

In my humble opinion, and experience to curb that itch, I would suggest the Liteflux LF5XT. It is about the same price as the D10, but there are so many options to set up the light to your preference.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If I were you, I would stick with lights that use AA batteries so that you don't waste your allowance buying expensive CR123A batteries. Perhaps your parents keep well stocked in AA alkalines, but if they make you buy your own, good quality AA rechargeables will allow you to use your lights all the time and not worry about expensive batteries.

I have never once heard either of my L2D's, but kids can hear high frequencies that adults cannot. . . .

Of all my lights, my D10 is one of the "funnest" ones to play with because of the unique infinitely adjustable brightness. Although it is not my brighest light or my most expensive, it is the one I reach for the most.. . .

You can save some money by buying it at www.4sevens.com and using cpf8 coupon code for 8% off. Free shipping from a US location (instead of hong kong), so you'll save a bunch compared to ebay and will get your flashlight sooner. Not to mention the excellent customer support from 7777.

tempman

Newly Enlightened
D10 all the way man. Get yourself some rechargable duracell or energizers and make sure they are the newest ones out. Alot of stores stock the older version batteries that are less than 2000mah. The newer ones are above 2400 mah. It says it right on the label of the actual battery. Anyhow, look at the review of the D10 and EX10 that are in the reviews section and notice the brightness and runtime you get from the rechargable NiMh batteries.

I would have to say that the D10 is probably the perfect flashlight ever created. If you don't like it, then there is something wrong with you.:D

Put it this way. The D10 is the best bang for the buck, and I think it could be sold for at least $75. It will beat the crap out of all your similar lights and also all of your friends lights.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I agree. The D10 is probably your best option. Look for the Duracell rechargeables that are precharged. They work like Eneloops. If you have access to a USB port for charging there is a charger that is available for use with a laptop.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I love my D10! It is a great light, nice and small. About the only other light in the same category that I own is the Fenix LD10. Its a nice light as well, mine seems nearly identical in brightness to the D10, maybe a little more so in fact on NIMH. Only downside is the Fenix won't do 14500 rechargeables unless you want to lose the low modes, but you might not mess with 14500's anyway, and NIMH will work fine, the Duracell precharged ones made in Japan are just rebranded Eneloops and very good batteries. I have a NDI and I love it too, but the D10 is more fun to play with.

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
i am tossing another vote for D10, really good light, great size, runs on AA, 14500, i think of it as a two stager, high and low. And do not forget the clip.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't want it to seem like I'm just voting with the pack but the D10 is the only light I've bought that has never left my pocket! You definitely need a D10, especially out in rural areas where it's dark, you'll really appreciate one of the lowest and affordable low settings available!

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the D10. I have one and use it everyday. My wife has a Fenix L1DQ5 and that's also a good light but the D10 is better for me, no strobe and I can adjust it very low so I don't wake my wife up when I come home as we work different shifts.
I'd suggest getting a D10 and then some Eneloop batteries to power it. much longer runtime and you can recharge then *when not if* you get the itch for another light you'll not have blown a fortune on buying batteries.
You will love the D10! :twothumbs

droopy170

Newly Enlightened
+1 for D-10 from 4sevens. Excellent performance and form factor. Also the PD makes it a "unique" light as well as fun to play with.

droopy

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking TMI on your financial situation. But compared to other electronic devices good lights are relatively expensive, considering the price of things like MP3 players, Digital Cameras and the like that are a lot more complex and contain a lot more expensive components. So choose wisely and try not to get too obsessed.

Watch B/S/T for deals. I can't vote for a D10 since mine went on BST, but it is a popular light.

I've never noticed any wine from my Fenix lights, not sure where you read about that and the L2D.

I also think the LiteFlux LF5-XT is a nice option, but I have to say my two Liteflux lights occasionally have an inductor wine. The only lights I have that do this. The programmable nature of the LX5 though might keep you busy for some time an allow you to test different setup like someone mentioned earlier.

I also think sticking with AA is a good idea, as you can get some good rechargeable batteries like the eneloop and play around and use them all you like. Easy to carry a spare in the pocket.
Single AA lights are great because they are so much easier to carry than the 2AA. The 2AA is good for extended camping trips or working in a dark location, emergency type use. The 1AA rules for EDC.

Good luck with your decision, if I still had my D10 I'd send it to you, but do watch B/S/T for good deals.

:welcome:

lebox97

Enlightened
+1

I have 5 of them - AA cell is easiest to deal with - readily available, get eneloop rechargeables if you use it a lot.

next question is -
Standard LED (more throw) or Golden Dragon (more flood, and better color)? (at least with mine)
I prefer the Golden Dragon.

EDIT: here is link comparing the 2 models
PS: you write quite well for a 15YO - good job! :party:

+1 for D-10 from 4sevens. Excellent performance and form factor. Also the PD makes it a "unique" light as well as fun to play with.

droopy

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
When I was about your age I knew exactly what I want -- the Surefire A2. I scrounged and scraped and I bought it, and for a few years I carried what I believed to be one of the greatest designs in the flashlight industry (it is!) and was very happy. I don't EDC it anymore, but I do use it all the time.

If you can find a way, buy what you really want, because compromises will just cost more in the end.

Also, see if you can sell your DS to a friend instead of a retail store like GameStop -- you could make a little more money by cutting out the middleman.