• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Protective Bezels for Aspherical Lenses Interest Thread

Nanomiser

Enlightened
For about 6 months now I've been kicking around the idea of making an aspherical lens protective bezel for a Mag-C & D. I have completed the design work on a few different styles that would accommodate both the KD & MG aspherical lenses. I even went as far as to hand off a couple of working prints to my machinist who said he would do the prototypes free of charge.

NOTE: LOOKING AT ALL OF THE REPLIES, IT HAS DAWNED ON ME THAT I MAY NOT HAVE BEEN AS CLEAR ON THE BEZEL COMATABILITY AS NECESSARY. THESE BEZELS ARE DESIGNED TO FIT EITHER THE Mells Griot or THE KD ASPHERICAL LENS, NOT ONE BEZEL FOR BOTH. IN OTHER WORDS, FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO USE OR INTERCHANGE BOTH STYLE LENSES ON ONE MAGLITE YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE A MG & A KD STYLE BEZEL. MY APPOLOGIES FOR ANY CONFUSSION ON THIS POINT, BUT THE LENSES ARE DIFFERENT ENOUGH THAT SEPPARET DESIGNS WERE NEEDED IN ORDER TO PROVIDE A TURN KEY SOLUTION.

Although not a prerequisite here on the interest thread, but later on the order thread I will need to have everybody to Please specify MG or KD bezel. By then I will have come up with the identification nomenclature for each style bezel. Please feel free to offer up some simple and creative I.D. / names for each of the styles if you would like. This may aid me in the process later on.

Unfortunately he has been so swamped with paying jobs that mine is still in a holding pattern. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise, still I didn't really want to start this interest thread without having a couple of prototype bezels in my hands and tested first, but it looks like my time is up! I'm not locked into a specific design or material, although I am partial to anodized aluminum or polished stainless steel and the crenellated look.

My target price range is $25 to $45 depending on style, material & finish. However, this price range is only achievable if I get a sufficient number of orders for any one particular type of bezel. I have already made contact with a member who is open to looking at my drawings and giving me a quote. But before I start the quoting process I would really like to know what you folks are looking for in this bezel. I look forward to entertaining your ideas and inputs, but please bear in mind that I will have to narrow it down to the one or two most popular styles.

Here is what I have come up with so far moldeled on a Mag-D head with an MG lens.

FitCompairisonDimetric-1.jpg

INTEREST LIST
s13uras (2) Crenellated, F or S n/s, Mtrl n/s, Lens MG
madi05 (1-2) Crenellated, F or S n/s, Mtrl n/s, Lens n/s
karlthev (4 or 5) Flat-Top, Matrl pol-s.s. or alum, Lens MG
QtrHorse (1-2) Flat-Top, Mtrl s.s. or alum, Lens MG
Aircraft800 (1) Crenellated, F or S n/s, Matrl n/s, Lens n/s
datiLED (1) Crenellated Finned w/slots, Matrl n/s, Lens KD
lctorana (1) Flat-Top, Matrl n/s, Lens SS
jag808808 (2-3) Crenellated-aggrs Fn or Sm Holes or Slots, Matrl pol-s.s., Lens KD
Nos (2) Style n/s, Matrl n/s, Lens n/s
tx101 (2) M.G.A.C.F.S., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens KD & MG
JohnTz (1) M.G.A.F.T., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
donn (2) M.G.A.C., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
Icarus (1) M.G.A.C.F.S., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
rayman (1) M.G.A.C., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
KHT (2) 1-M.G.A.C. & 1-M.G.A.F.T., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
LuxLuthor (4) M.G.A.F.T. & (1) M.G.A.C., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
3rdrock (1) Crenellated Smooth, Matrl n/s, Lens MG
3rdrock's Friend (3) Flat-Top, Matrl n/s, Lens n/s
tanasit (2) Style n/s, Matrl n/s, Lens n/s
cnjl3 (1) M.G.A.C., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
BenjiBot (1) M.G.A.C.F.S., Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
Izual73 (1) Crenellated, F or S n/s, Matrl n/s, Lens KD
hamheart (1) Crenellated Finned w/slots, Matrl n/s, Lens KD
ace0001a (1) Style n/s, Matrl n/s, Lens KD
peterthomson (1) Crenellated, Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG
wachtelhund (1) Flat-Top, Matrl n/s, Lens n/s
cheetokhan (2) Flat-Top, Matrl pol-s.s., Lens MG

MG 01 LAG 010 GROUP LENS BUY INTEREST LIST
(Please read LuxLuthor's post #94 before ordering this lens)
3rdrock (1)
AlexGT (1)
s13uras (2)
flex76italy (1) w/066 AR Coating
rayman (1) w/066 AR Coating

MG 01 LAG 123 GROUP LENS BUY INTEREST LIST
QtrHorse (1)
Icarus (1) w/066 AR coating
JohnTZ (1) w/066 AR coating
peterthomson (1) W/066 AR coating
flex76italy (1) w/066 AR Coating

Last edited:

s13uras

Newly Enlightened
I would be in for 5 or so!!! if they are not to expensive. They look great!! :twothumbs Cant wait to the pics of the prototype!! :popcorn:

madi05

Enlightened
i will take 1 for sure maybe 2 , also if u make one not look so agressive i bet many will buy just to be able to tailstand with aspherical lens,, i bought the cp guys and just got it in , it is very nice but still not tall enough for my lens from kaidoman , so that one will go on a flat glass lens i have , lol

madi05

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be in for one for sure and maybe two. I would also like one that is not so aggressive and I don't like the trit slots either. Maybe small holes towards the ends of the forks could be a option. Something similar to Kiu's stainless bezels. I would prefer stainless with maybe the option of polished and or bead blasted.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Slots changed to holes and less aggressive crenellation is not a problem.

What do you think about the fining feature and what type of material to use?

I'm also going to model up a flat top version based on Karl's suggestion; something less involved and less expensive, but still get the job done with some style.

Great suggestions so far; keep them coming! :twothumbs

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the finned version and a flat top version would be nice as well.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Nano, I would strongly recommend that you make the crenallation low point slightly above the apex of lens. One benefit of a longer bezel is being able to stand up the light without lens touching. However, another HUGE benefit is having the sides of the lens shielded from your peripheral vision. Otherwise, your vision is both distracted, and less able to see the focussed beam. You likely saw my review here. I had the same opinion on Saabluster's DEFT needing side bezel shielding.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nano, I would strongly recommend that you make the crenallation low point slightly above the apex of lens. One benefit of a longer bezel is being able to stand up the light without lens touching. However, another HUGE benefit is having the sides of the lens shielded from your peripheral vision. Otherwise, your vision is both distracted, and less able to see the focussed beam. You likely saw my review here. I had the same opinion on Saabluster's DEFT needing side bezel shielding.

+1 if you take Lux's ideas and run with them

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the basic design of this one. I would prefer to have the scallops shallower, and the dome of the lens completely out of view at the 90 degree view as below. I do like the slots in the light very much. It is very obvious that you spent a lot of time thinking about these designs. They are very different, and visually appealing. Count me in for one of the finned version for KD aspherical lens!

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would buy one that had no crenellation at all, no slots or anything, in fact one that just looked like a standard Maglite bezel, just longer.

Edit - cancel that - Download is already selling just that. Please carry on with your original design, and pardon my irrelevant suggestion.

Last edited:

jag808808

Enlightened
Nanomiser,

I agree with the suggestion from Lux.

I like the aggressive look with either holes or slots. I prefer the smooth body versus the finned. Gives it more of a streamlined look but, I would probably purchase one of each in polished stainless steel. I would probably order 2 to 3. Good luck!

Aloha,

jag

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Thanks QtrHorse & datiLED for the supportive input and complements.

Lux, thank you for the great suggestion on raising the valley to help obscure the lens; this should also go along ways to mellow the appearance of the crenellation.

I will incorporate all of these changes into the next revision.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Hi lctorana,
I'm already planning to model up a bezel for Karl that should fit your description very well.

Just give me a few days for these revisions as I am currently out of town for the New Year.

I would buy one that had no crenellation at all, no slots or anything, in fact one that just looked like a standard Maglite bezel, just longer.

Edit - cancel that - Download is already selling just that. Please carry on with your original design, and pardon my irrelevant suggestion.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Hi Jag,
I hear you. Lux's suggestion will be reflected in my next revision.

I also like the streamline look of the smooth version. This project is starting to shape up to be a trifecta for bezel styles. I hope to make all of them available.

:thumbsup:

Nanomiser,

I agree with the suggestion from Lux.

I like the aggressive look with either holes or slots. I prefer the smooth body versus the finned. Gives it more of a streamlined look but, I would probably purchase one of each in polished stainless steel. I would probably order 2 to 3. Good luck!

Aloha,

jag

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take two of these

Depending on the final price, maybe more.
I would prefer stainless steel but AL with a clear anodizing would be
the second choice. I think these two choices would match any color
Maglite ;)
As LuxLuthor said,

I would strongly recommend that you make the crenallation low point slightly above the apex of lens

.... good idea :thumbsup: