Off-the-shelf Mag replacement reflector

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently scuffed off some of the silver coating on my 3D Mag's reflector while cleaning it, so I went looking for something to replace it.

Specifically, I wanted find one of the cheap flashlights with a faceted reflector that might be the same size.

Home Depot had one of their Eveready plastic lights for about $5 which has a fully faceted reflector that is about the same size as the Mag's. It came with two D cell "heavy duty" batteries also which I had no idea what I would do with, but oh well.

The new reflector was very close in diameter, but it had an extra lip around the front that made it just slightly too large to fit into the Mag head. I was able to remove the lip with a method that I won't mention because I don't want other people to try it and lose fingers. Needless to say, if you're trying to duplicate this mod be VERY CAREFUL with your tools!

With the reflector trimmed, it sat down nicely in the Mag head. The only downside is that the reflector has an built-in base assembly that holds the bulb and everything, kind of like a drop in Lamp Assy in a SureFire (maybe..).

The base of the reflector would hit the retaining ring of the Mag bulb holder. I removed the retaining ring and this allowed the head/reflector to screw on, and the Led module to pass through the reflector opening. The base of the reflector is pushing down on the bulb "tower" of the Mag. As you tighten the head, something in there eventually bottoms out and you feel it meet resistance. There isn't a focusing function anymore because the led and reflector stay in the same relative position as you tighten the head. I just left it snug.

As for the resulting beam, it looks surprisingly normal considering the jerry-rigged nature of this setup. Talk about luck!! :crackup:

It really looks very similar to the stock setup at full focus, except the hot spot doesn't look as bright.

It may be my imagination, but I believe the spill area is a bit brighter (I did this mod in hopes of turning the light into more of a useful flooder than a thrower).

I would post beamshots, but with nothing to compare to side by side, it'd be tough to tell the difference from stock.

My dad has an identical 3D Mag, and next time I'm over there I'll compare the two side by side to look for the differences.

In reality, you're probably better off just buying one of the aluminum reflectors guys around here sell, because you're out 5 or 6 bucks to buy the plastic light, and it's really not a very noticeable difference over the stock reflector.

But this was an interesting experiment, and I'm pleased and surprised by how well it went, and that the result could pass for a factory setup. Maybe I could mess with people and tell them I got a Mag with the rare "faceted reflector option"!! :D

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the blurry image. I tried several times but it seemed the camera was having difficulty focusing on the reflector

The donor light:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another cheap change I can recommend from personal experience is to change the glass for the lens out of a 2" magnifying glass from your local $2 shop.

This literally magnifies the hotspot.

nbp

Flashaholic
stress test: I pm'd you four days ago when you mentioned this problem in another thread and said I would send you a brand new plastic D cell mag reflector I have laying here left over from the 2D I used for a ROP, FREE OF CHARGE. Coulda saved you 6 bucks.... :shrug: :thinking:

DM51

Flashaholic
There are numerous sources here on CPF and CPFMP for replacement Mag reflectors - Fivemega, Litho123 among others.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are numerous sources here on CPF and CPFMP for replacement Mag reflectors - Fivemega, Litho123 among others.

Yeah, and I totally agree that it's the better option, but like I said this was more of an experimental thing.

I compared my modded version with my dad's otherwise identical Mag. The spill brightness is about the same between the two, but the throw on mine is significantly reduced. The center spot is at least twice as broad (and rectangular, oddly enough) but definitely dimmer.

It might be more useful though. The tiny bright hotspot of the stock reflector Mag never seemed all that useful in reality.