Recomend a cheap tube-style thrower for hunting

mikle76

Newly Enlightened
I'm in need of a straight tube flashlight (no pistol grip spotlight please already have one) in the 2-4 C or D cell range that is bright and knows how to throw with some spill would be nice. I am going to add a red lens and it will cut down some of the strength so I need as much power as possible with a descent battery life for coon chasing and such. I recently came to own a Husky 2D 4 watt and is is very nice but is there a better thrower available (LED or not) with in a $50 budget? If there is I can still return the Husky and replace it. I've never owned a a big adjustable beam Mag-Lite, what kind of throw do they have? Thanks for helping a noobie guys!

Mike

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A red filter with a LED will cut down output a lot. White LEDs don't put out much red. It would be better if you used a red LED.

As for a better throwing light with C or D cells, the best I know of are Maglites with a good drop-in or mod.

:welcome:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Husky will outthrow a stock mag.

See here: (control, stock mag, Husky 4W, Lowes Task Force 2C Cree)

fog.gif

Last edited:

mikle76

Newly Enlightened
What kind of drop in or mod does a maglite need to beat up a husky? I'm no flashaholic so please keep the mods simple or I may become overwhelmed :faint: A drop in sounds more my speed:twothumbs

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
The 2D Husky Tactical is a pretty powerful flashlight. I think to get a signifigant improvement you are going to half to use some kind of small spotlight like maybe the HID Vector.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Yea, your Husky is actually one of the more impressive flashlights available in this price range, with a $50 budget and your other requirements there really isn't anything else that's going to beat it. Your "red lens" concept is really going to make this a challenge... As has been said already, you'd be better off using a red LED instead of a filter, but this would require that you do some modifications to a light. I'm very curious.... is the reason for the red light so that the coons can't see you coming? (are they color blind?)

deKatt

Newly Enlightened
I'm very curious.... is the reason for the red light so that the coons can't see you coming? (are they color blind?)

The theory is that red light has less of an effect on one's night vision than white. So, if you use a red light to help you find your way into the woods, you will be able to see better, in a shorter time, once you turn it off and rely on whatever available light there is. IIRC, my dad's old "Bluejacket's Manual" from his navy days (late 1940's) instructed sailors who were going to go on watch at night to wear red goggles for some length of time beforehand, so their eyes would be more quickly adapted to the dark once they went on duty.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The theory is that red light has less of an effect on one's night vision than white. So, if you use a red light to help you find your way into the woods, you will be able to see better, in a shorter time, once you turn it off and rely on whatever available light there is. IIRC, my dad's old "Bluejacket's Manual" from his navy days (late 1940's) instructed sailors who were going to go on watch at night to wear red goggles for some length of time beforehand, so their eyes would be more quickly adapted to the dark once they went on duty.

That only applies to dim red light. A bright red light will ruin your night vision as well