22 To 24 Inch Widescreen Computer Monitor

I have 64 MB of shared video memory on a 4-year-old machine. I want to upgrade to a larger monitor that will be used strictly to surf the net. There is no need for high definition or any TV inputs. Usually I have a price range in mind, but I will let the opinions of the members that post within the thread sway me in the right direction pricewise for my specific situation. Thanks!:)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you installed the very latest video drivers for your motherboard's graphic controller and if so, is a screen resolution setting of 1920 X 1200 pixels available?

Have you installed the very latest video drivers for your motherboard's graphic controller and if so, is a screen resolution setting of 1920 X 1200 pixels available?

I just installed the lasted driver and the highest resolution is 1024 by 768 pixels. Guess it's time for a new graphics card too.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

edit my post:}

I missed the word shared on your OP.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Are you sure you can install a graphics card??
~ If so, I may have a card for you. {Its PCI Express though}

If you have an AGP graphics interface, this article will help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086.html

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With LCD monitors, it's best to run them in their native resolution otherwise the picture quality looks terrible, so like you say, you'll probably need a new graphics card.

IMO, you need to compare the cost of the new monitor and graphics card to the cost of a new computer. e.g. a bottom of the range Dell with 22-24" monitor is pretty cheap these days.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Samsung 2253LW monitor at Costco for about $199. You can read a lot of reviews at newegg.com for it. It's worked better than I expected. The only negative is it's a TN panel that has poor viewing angles, but I've found it isn't a problem for me sitting in front of the screen. YMMV. There's cheaper ones available now, but the samsung has a nice build quality. You can get good value in a larger screen size for not a lot more money, but the 1680x1050 resolution gets better frame rates in games for me.

da.gee

Enlightened
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 21.5 Asus monitor at just over $200 from Newegg. Another TN panel with good performance. The kicker is it does 1080P (1900x1200), very unusual in this size. Even better it has DVI, HDMI and D-SUB connections making it very versatile. Would be a great gaming screen with 2ms GTG as well as HDTV. I bought it for general computing but it has a lot of possibilities. I may get two if it lives up to expectations.

Unfortunately I missed the UPS truck today or I could have given you first hand data. :mecry:

You guys make this too easy. I've got one AGP slot so I'll pick up a Radeon HD2600XT from Newegg, and wait for da.gee's comments on his new monitor, which if he likes I will probably buy. Not bad for a $260.00 total. Thank for the help.:)

Or, a HIS Hightech H165QS512AP Radeon X1650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card?

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
Pressure! I based my purchase on the reviews at Newegg. A link to the monitor is here.

I'm sitting on the porch all day tomorrow.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys make this too easy. I've got one AGP slot so I'll pick up a Radeon HD2600XT from Newegg, and wait for da.gee's comments on his new monitor, which if he likes I will probably buy. Not bad for a $260.00 total. Thank for the help.:)

Or, a HIS Hightech H165QS512AP Radeon X1650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card?

+

Keep $260 your cut off point;
much more, and you could putting the cash toward a new system.

If you go with the 2600XT (and I think your looking at PowerColor from the EGG) make sure you use the latest drivers.

http://www.powercolor.com/eng/support_driver.asp?CategoryID=1&SeriesID=2&ModelID=364

good luck..:)

da.gee

Enlightened
Hooked my Asus up today to my PC (DVI). Looks good. No dead pixels. Text very crisp. No drivers for it anywhere I've found so Vista 64 sees it as a generic PNP monitor but still allows full 1900x1080 @ 60hz. Haven't tried any other sources but text looks clean and crisp. Photos awesome. I'm redoing my office but will calibrate and work with the monitor over the next few days and report back.

Aesthetically the bezel is gloss black so will show fingerprints and the power button is orange (but when powered on there is a blue LED is next to it) but that scheme matches my PC so I like.

Starting to think 22" is the sweet spot for value in monitors after seeing orbital's post. I would definitely look at this form factor if you're in the market but make 1080P, 2ms response, multi connections a must especially HDMI/DVI.

Keep in mind these are TN (twisted nematic) monitors so there are some tradeoffs vs PVA/S-IPS if you have a specific need for that kind of color reproduction but for most users the value and performance will not justify the price premium of those bad boys.