Found a light I no longer want....

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Funny story.... When the ROV 4watt, 3C Sportsman Xtreme first came out; it was all the buzz on CPF. I really wanted one, and drove to a few stores in hopes of finding it. No such luck. Searched for a couple of months for a B&M shop in my area that had them.... All in utter frustration and disappointment.

By the time I learned you could order them direct from ROV, the upgraded 2C Task Force model came out. So I got that light instead, partly because there's a Lowes not too far from me. Yup, went with a competitor's light instead.

I completely gave up on the ROV, and concentrated on other lights.

Fast forward about 14 hours ago, I get off the subway and find an Ace Hardware not too far from the subway exit. Just stumbled onto it. I go in, with hopes of finding some AAAA cells for my Streamlight Stylus. (Ace is the only B&M chain of stores I know that even sell the little buggers). Found them.... for nearly $5 for a 2-pack! (There were a couple of packs on clearence for $1.99 for two. But didn't want to take the chance on getting old alkies. I'll order my AAAA's online for a little over $1 each).

I go over to the flashlight aisle since Ace usually carries a couple of SL models. I look down, and that's when I see it; about three ROV 4watt models dangling from a peg. Son of a..... :shakehead

Just under $32 each. I held one in my hand for awhile, and then placed it back on the peg. Walked to the B&M shop of an Authorized Surefire Dealer several blocks away, and bought a P91 lamp for my recently completed Leef-bodied SF 9P.

Anyone else go through something like that? You want it, can't find it, move on, lose interest in it, and then later on find it right under your nose.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Doesn't everyone here kind of go through that kind of loop? You have a mag solitaire or showerhead 3AAA. You shop around local stores... cant really find anything besides more mag solitaires and showerheads. You see local LEOs everywhere using really bright flashlights, so you know they exist.

Your search intensifies... www leads you here.;) Where you find battery junction, fenix-store, LAPG, shiningbeam, surefire.com, lighthound, jetbeam, nitecore, leef, DX, CPF marketplace, olight, novatac...

Now they're right at your fingertips, just a paypal / CC number away.

Your tastes change, desires come and go... now you want a long running, moderate lumen flooder perhaps instead of that spot throw beast.

Well... thats kind of what happened to me.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks Norm. :)

To be sure of a perfect fit, it's best to go for the ones directly sold as AAAA cells.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is REALLY creepy :eek:
Exactly the same thing happen to me about a hour ago.
A large chain of supermarkets in the UK where selling some
cheap LED lights, these lights are fairly well rated in a UK based
forum I lurk around in.
I had managed to buy the 2 x AA and 2 x C cell versions but I could
never find the 2 x D version.
After a couple of months, I was told that these lights are now discontinued.
I gave up all hope of getting one.
This afternoon, the Mrs send me to the supermarket and guess what ?
hidden behind the 2 x AA and 2 x C lights was the very last 2 x D light :twothumbs

Here is a family portrait :D

DSC00843.jpg

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the moral to this story is, listening to your wife has a positive karma follow on effect OR persistence will pay dividends! :thumbsup:

Uh... tx101, what breed of light are those? they look a little 'Mag-clone-ish' but have a little individuality to boot! :D

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the moral to this story is, listening to your wife has a positive karma follow on effect OR persistence will pay dividends! :thumbsup:

Uh... tx101, what breed of light are those? they look a little 'Mag-clone-ish' but have a little individuality to boot! :D

I always listen to the Mrs :grin2:
They are made in China and sold as "Tesco" branded

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the same thing happen to me a few times. Couldn't find the Coast focusing light anywhere for a price I was willing to pay, but then it recently went on sale at Lowe's and I have found other lights since that do what I want (except the actual focusing). There are several other of the same instances too. I was looking for a small Streamlight when I first was getting into lights, but couldn't find them anywhere. Once I found CPF and the online shops that had them, I also found other lights I wanted more. I now use that as a strategy to keep from buying something until it is really good - I tell myself that I won't want it after a while.

I saw AAAA's at Best Buy once. They were in the battery section and near the cellphone Blutooth earpieces. One of the Blutooth things used a AAAA battery.