Glo-toob/Tritium/mini light

themadplumbarian

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i have a qusetion, i always carry a flashlight and multi tool on me, except in the shower and to bed, duh, i keep a flashlight next to my alarm clock, but when you got to get up in the middle of the night and don't want to blind yourself, no lights or flashlights now what? and how do you find it, or if your in the shower and the power goes out, and just need enough light to not slip on the bar of soap that you just dropped? Im looking for a waterproof flashlight that would be small enough to wear as a necklace, that you would just never take off, just like a set of dogtags! now the ultimate would be the glo-toob, but is huge to be a necklace, if it were just a little bit smaller it would be perfect, now they have other flashlights that are small enough to put on your necklace but you have to keep holding the button with one hand, what if you need both? and last is the tritium same used on watches and gun sights right? and there filled into a vile and made into a tube, yet some are not legal in the US due to high toxic ratings, would a small one be bright enough to light the way to the kitchen for a midnight snack or to the bathroom? i mean it doesn't need to be 20 lumen's, just enough to admit a glow in a color would be great, so you can judge whats around you, maybe enough to read a map while pitch black? what is the best waterproof-on/off-small-light out there that has a hole for a keychain or in this case a necklace?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom

-very small
-can be turn on maximum or minimum
-comes with a necklace and a clip
-reliable and solid
-waterproof (or at least water resistant...)

litetube

Enlightened
Wow, gsegelk where did you hear of another group buy on those tritium lights? they are very cool!! seem like the perfect low level emergency light that never needs batteries!! small enough to wear but safe?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ditto the photon freedom recommendation. Its output is adjustable so you can set it to emit a really dim setting.... 1-2 Lumen range. On top of that its cheap, lightweight, and sheds water somewhat well.

If you don't mind a nightstand type light (my personal preference), drop a DX 17593 into a 6P host. It has the lowest output I have ever seen from a flashlight, somewhere in the fraction of a lumen range. But I find it perfect for night vision preservation. My ~3 lumen minimag solitaire blows it away.... see vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oa0KfMjwRk

I frequently hang my Gerber tempo around my neck from a surefire neck lanyard. Its about 6 Lumens though, so it might be too bright... YMMV depending on your vision and light sensitivity. The Fenix Eo1 also deserves a mention, although it and the Tempo might be too big for you to wear comfortably.

Lighthound also sells small key-chain lights similar to the photon... but they are not brightness adjustable, fixed 3-4 Lumen output and I don't think they are water resistant. BUT they are cheap, like $1.50 each, and very well made.

Last edited:

themadplumbarian

Newly Enlightened
I really like the glo toob, and if your really do the math, its not that big, compaired to some of the others, like a mini mag, its 3" long by 1/2", the glo toob is just a 1/4" wider... im not after something that gives off a lot of light, just if i put it in the middle of the room, i can see around, also the color will play a big roll in that, i love blue, but they say green is the brightest? how big of a dif? the other question im stuck on is theres 3 dif modles, original, fx, and, lithium,,, the lithium is bigger so im leaning away, also 3 times the cost. whats the big dif between the other two? i dont need all the blinking, strobes, and %'s! does the original, have a off/on switch? some places ive looked say its a continous on, others say just a off/on? :thinking: JR

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey themadplumbarian, I think we are very much on the same wavelength:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216490

I'm talking with a custom maker now about a light that he may be able to produce to fill this niche!

gimmefive.gif
drool.gif
bounce.gif
dancing5.gif

Mdinana

Enlightened
Nothing useful from me, but I just wonder... who keeps making all these restrooms without a window?:shrug:

Nearly every house/apartment I've lived in had a window in the restroom.

themadplumbarian

Newly Enlightened
Nothing useful from me, but I just wonder... who keeps making all these restrooms without a window?:shrug:

Nearly every house/apartment I've lived in had a window in the restroom.
well if it helps you, depending on what state you live in, most require due to law, you have to have two ways out of a room, weather it be a window or door, you came in one way there should be another way out due to fire code,,, JR

Marduke

Flashaholic
I carry a Photon Freedom Covert around the house often on a necklace. It is very small and light, and therefore unobtrusive. I don't wear it into the shower though. I would not hesitate to take it in any other wet conditions however.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well if it helps you, depending on what state you live in, most require due to law, you have to have two ways out of a room, weather it be a window or door, you came in one way there should be another way out due to fire code,,, JR

That depends on square footage of the room otherwise only bedrooms need to have a second form of emergency exit at least in PA.