One handed AAA super compact light

snakyjake

Enlightened
Looking for AAA super compact light that can be operated one handed. I want something compact and not long, so this is putting the light in the category of a twisty (unless there's a piston switch out there).

Most important features:
Easy one handed on/off.
Pocketable (AAA size).
Pocket clip
Quality.

I want a light that I can easily turn on/off one handed without fuss. So the head must be easy to rotate, yet not too easy that it accidentally comes on all the time.

Light must have a clip, and be pocketable. Shorter light equal better comfort, and more desirable than longer lights. But if I find a better featured and operating light that is a bit longer, I'm willing to consider a longer light.

The better light could have varying output and good runtime.

The light will primarily be used for guidance in a dark house, and a simple task light. Hoping to find something between 15-50 lumens.

I also don't want a light with poor build quality that just ends up in the junk drawer.

Cost less than $60. However, I have a difficult time spending anything more than $20 on such a small, simple, low output light, that doesn't provide me any WOW. So I'm looking for value (tired of crazy priced lights that require a credit card for purchase).

Examples: Fenix E0, Fenix E1, Fenix L0D, LiteFlux LF2X, Arc, others.

What I know so far:
LF2X head is fairly tight and not easily made for one handed. May have to apply grip tape to the head. This is an option if there's nothing better.

E01 has forward/reverse twisting to adjust output. Not sure how good the UI really is one-handed.

Thanks,

Jake

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

E01 has forward/reverse twisting to adjust output. Not sure how good the UI really is one-handed.

Based on your pricing criteria, I would suggest a Fenix E01 although it does not have an adjustable output as suggested in your post. It is a simple twist on/twist off switch and all of mine turn quite easily one handed especially after re lubing with DeOxit.

The Extreme III would fit most of your needs as well although not as easy to turn and quite a bit more money than you want to spend.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Considered the Fenix LD01? It has the AAA form factor, uses a twisty switch, comes with a removable clip and has the following output: Med: 27 lumens -> Low: 10 lumens -> High: 80 lumens. Mine can easily be operated with just one hand and I consider it to be of good quality. I have never had mine come on accidentally. It normally stays with my keys but could easily be pocketed.

The black LD01 can be obtained for less than $45 and the stainless steel version for less than $55 if you take advantage of the CPF discounts. :twothumbs

snakyjake

Enlightened
If the Fenix LD01 can be operated one-handed without fuss, and with the added output benefits, I'd be will consider paying the $45.

How well does selecting the output operate with one hand? From my understanding, you have to twist back and forth within 1.5 seconds to make an output change. Is it slick, or am I going to be fussing with it?

Thanks.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
**edited** to remove irrelevant commentary.

IMHO you should consider the LD01 or L0D, if you find one handed operation difficult yo ucan always use the SL microstream forward clicky but it will add $18 to the overall cost.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Fenix LD01 can be operated one-handed without fuss, and with the added output benefits, I'd be will consider paying the $45.

How well does selecting the output operate with one hand? From my understanding, you have to twist back and forth within 1.5 seconds to make an output change. Is it slick, or am I going to be fussing with it?

Thanks.
You should have no major problems but it may take a little while to learn how to do it well to begin with as it did with me. It is not as easy as a clicky.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can easily operate my LOD and LD01 with one hand.
Due to the lack of aggressive knurling on the LD01 SS head it is not nearly as easy as the E01. Still it could be worse - and it could be a much, much worse light over all too!

JBorneu

Enlightened
I have pretty big hands and an LF2X. It is pretty difficult to turn on with one hand. However, when you attach it to a keychain in a way that it cannot move around it's lengthwise axis easily it becomes a lot easier because you have a lot more grip that way. I can even switch modes or program it with one hand when it's attached to my keychain.

There are also lights like the Streamlight Microstream or the Leatherman Serac S1. Both are 1AAA clicky's with a pocket clip. Very easy to operate one handed and I don't think they're that much bigger than an LF2X. A bit bigger can be better if you need to operate something with one hand, it makes it a lot easier to hold on to your light while operating it. One handed operation is useless if you drop your light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would vote for the Streamlight Microstream and Stylus Pro. They are essentially identical except that the Microstream is 1xAAA, while the Stylus Pro is 2xAAA. This_Is_Nascar did a great review of the Microstream, and it all applies to the Stylus Pro except for longer runtimes. [https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183590&highlight=this+is+nascar+microstream]

I own both, and EDCed each one for a while to get a feel for them. They are both great pocket clip lights, as they are only a little larger and heavier than a ballpoint. Most of the time I never really noticed they were there. I would agree with TIM about using Lithiums as well. They are both about 20 lumens and are usually $20 or less. Great price on some great lights!

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm curious, why so many votes for the L0D but not the LD01? or are you including the LD01 as similar?

The L0D is a VERY popular light, and many if not most CPF'ers have one. It has been around for a couple years now in one form or another and has earned it's respect. The LD01 is rather new to the scene, and not in as many hands yet.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
:naughty:part, or all of the solution can be found with the Streamlight MicroStream!

carrot

Flashaholic
Check out the Leatherman Serac S2. It is like the LD01 but offers only 2 modes and has a clicky switch. It's the only clicky switch light I know of. I wrote a review earlier, check the reviews forum.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jake.
Also take a look at the ARC-AAA lights. They are top quality and built to last....