Surefire 6P and 6PL Questions

JOHNNY-FLASH

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here with some questions. Is there any difference between the 6P and the 6PL other than light source ? Is every thing else exactly the same ? I am thinking about getting the 6P and then get a M60W that I have read about. Just not sure if the 6PL is built better in some way , stronger body , better glass , better switch , etc. etc. THANKS.

lightinsky

Enlightened
There is no difference between the 6P and 6PL other than the light source being used.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Other than light source, the only difference between the two is the use of a Lexan window in the 6PL bezel. You might say that the 6P is more solid, using a Pyrex window, which can withstand high temp if you are using a incan light source, and will resist scratches better than Lexan.

Bill

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The 6PL uses a pyrex window. The G2L uses (i think) Lexan, I have one in front of me and judging by the fact that it didn't get scratched when I used my T-shirt to clean the dust off, it might be coated Lexan or maybe Pyrex.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
A friend's 6PL came with a Pyrex window. I've even seen a G3L with Pyrex window. From what I can tell, Surefire seems to be moving toward all-Pyrex.

That said, I think you'll be very pleased with the Malkoff/Surefire combo.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Yes you should be very happy with the combo. Depending how you would like to carry it, I would say go ahead and look for a clip of some sort, Or the lanyard ring, its just nice to have.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just setup a a guy at work by purchasing a standard 6P and then ordering a Malkoff M60 for it. Go with the 6P since the price is substantially less than the 6P LED and you will be replacing the bulb anyway.

If you also want the ability to switch back and forth between the high powered Malkoff and the Surefire P60L order the 6P LED. Even though I have Malkoff's in most of my C2/6P hosts, I also have a 6PL in my 6P LED.
The Malkoff's are more efficient, brighter, and throw better but the smooth perfect signature Surefire beam coming off the P60L makes up for it's other shortcomings. I tend to use it for closer up work.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just setup a a guy at work by purchasing a standard 6P and then ordering a Malkoff M60 for it. Go with the 6P since the price is substantially less than the 6P LED and you will be replacing the bulb anyway.

If you also want the ability to switch back and forth between the high powered Malkoff and the Surefire P60L order the 6P LED. Even though I have Malkoff's in most of my C2/6P hosts, I also have a 6PL in my 6P LED.
The Malkoff's are more efficient, brighter, and throw better but the smooth perfect signature Surefire beam coming off the P60L makes up for it's other shortcomings. I tend to use it for closer up work.

Yes, the P60L does have a beautiful beam, and a very wide spill, winder than a KL4.

Bill

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I agree. The P60L has a very sweet, ableit slightly dim, beam.

The slight ringiness is the only thing I don't like about the Malkoffs. That's the nature of the LED-with-optic beast, though.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
I was so disappointed by the tint of the 6pL, I almost returned it. After paying $85 I expected it to aleast be white, Mine had some kind of bad blue or purple tint.
I tried a DX dropin but we all know how that goes, The Malkoff was the only thing that saved my 6p

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Both of my P60L's have a bit of a blue-ish tint (one less than the other). The aforementioned friend's 6PL actually has a bit of a green tint, which I find to be a bit unusual for a P60L.

outersquare

Enlightened
my 6pdl also had kind of a bluish crappy tint.
it's not really that big a deal in itself, but then you consider how much it costs and that their competitors offer brighter/better tint