First Surefire?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF web site seems to suggest that the founder John Matthews formed Laser Products around 1979, splitting off from Newport Corporation. The web site doesn't say when Laser Products produced their first handheld flashlight. I bought my first Laser Products/SureFire 6P product around 1990.

Their big break occurred in 1984 when LAPD SWAT wanted some of their laser sighted shotguns.

So presumably, their handheld lights came out sometime between 1984 and 1990.

Cydonia

Enlightened
The SF web site seems to suggest that the founder John Matthews formed Laser Products around 1979, splitting off from Newport Corporation. The web site doesn't say when Laser Products produced their first handheld flashlight. I bought my first Laser Products/SureFire 6P product around 1990.

Their big break occurred in 1984 when LAPD SWAT wanted some of their laser sighted shotguns.

So presumably, their handheld lights came out sometime between 1984 and 1990.

If 1979 was the year of founding... then that's somewhat significant. 79' was also the year Maglite formed and started their brand isn't it?. Fun to read some kind of weird coincidence or subtle connection into the years. Either way... you've got to admit...that time period... kicked off the start of an era of great lights... :tinfoil:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag Instrument was founded in 1955. The Maglite flashlight was introduced in 1979.

Last edited: