Before I purchase...

kuksul08

Enlightened
Does this look like it'll work?

ledlight.jpg

The only questions I have are regarding what size potentiometer to buy. I went to the store and they have anywhere from 500-50k ranges, and wire wound/cerment varieties.

Also regarding forward LED voltages. I have an SSC P4 in a headlamp and when running at 330mA its Vf is 3.02V. Isn't that kinda low?

Thanks

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The forward voltage of the SSC P4 depends on which bin you have.

I believe most are in the 3.0 - 3.25v range, but there are some that are in the 3.25 - 3.5v range.

kuksul08

Enlightened
Hmm, so it's kinda hard to tell exactly then.

How about my other question?

Also what size wire should I use? I was thinking 20Ga stranded to be safe.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the potentiometer. I just use resistors for the stuff I build with 5mm LEDs.

I bought 24 guage stranded wire for my projects.
But now I need to get a new wire stripper since mine can't deal with 24 guage :ohgeez:and using an X-acto knife is a pain.

kuksul08

Enlightened
Thanks for the help :)

It's pretty confusing. Maybe I will first just buy a few parts to play around with before spending more money on a big project :)

kuksul08

Enlightened
Couple more questions...

My goal is to build a bike light that I can attach to my helmet or handlebar. For now I will be using two LEDs in a custom aluminum enclosure. I was planning on using P4's, but would the cree XR-E Q5's be a better choice? I don't know much about them.

I will be using this homemade circuit
FTFKKU6Z2HEWIFNTP5.MEDIUM.jpg

from this instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/E7QH8NG8I1EWOF32HJ/

I think I will run them at 700mA but I'll see how hot they get.

I just don't want to mess up here

kuksul08

Enlightened
Well crap... I went out and bought the parts to make the driver and it burned out my LED. With a 4.8V input it put out 1A, and with 7.2V input it put out 5 amps! I should have checked it first... the led turned blue and went out pretty quick.

Guess I'll just have to buy some DX or buckpuck driver now... :(

kuksul08

Enlightened
The first diagram was my original plan. I then made my own driver using the second schematic, and as it turns out I wired it wrong. Once I switched one connection it gave exactly the current I specified. doh!