M30W Run Time and Current Draw

Axion

Enlightened
Based on a lot of discussion I've read around here I expected the M30 to supply 1.0A to the emitter and thus pull ~1.2A from the battery. I've also read many replies where people suggested ~2 hours of run time from 1 x 18650.

I recently got an M30W and on a fresh battery it's pulling 1.6-1.7A. After a bit this settles down to about 1.4A and then on a close to dead battery (3.7V resting) it's drawing about 1.2A. Tonight I did a run time test and it ran 1.5 hour from 3.19V fresh off the charger to battery cut off (I was waiting for it to dim but didn't notice anything distinct).

So I've got some questions. First, are the "warm" modules driven harder then the standard ones? Based on what I've read vs. what mine does it seems so.

Second, is this normal behavior for a M30? In a regulated light I'd expect current to increase with decreasing voltage not drop. This almost seems like direct drive to me. I'm not complaining though because as far as my eyes can tell full brightness it maintained down as low as 3.75V resting.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my understanding it's something like a multistage boost circuit. The regulation isn't ruler flat, but does a good job of getting the most out of a single lithium cell.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Gene explained to me that the M30 circuit operating at 4.2 volts will deliver about 1.1 to 1.2 amps to the LED. At about 3 volts (1 CR123) it will deliver about 600mA's to the LED. My M30, not M30W, pulls 1.25 amps with a freshly charged Li-Ion (18650, or RCR123) and pulls just under 1amp with a CR123, and two AA NiMh's. I guestimate lumens at about 220 or so using a Li-Ion, and about 130 or so using one CR123, or two AA NiMh's, this using bounce with a light meter. My M30 is using a Cree Q5, and the M30W, M60W uses a warm Q2, and current draw from the battery will depend on the individual vf of the LED. There is no doubt some voltage regulation going on with the M30 series. Gene tells me that he has shopped for the best circuit components for his M30's.

Bill

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my M30 too late to take it to work and measure lumens output prior to going on vacation. It will be tested next week when I have to go back to work. It is bright. I measured the current draw from an 18650 at over 1.5 amps. I will top off the charge and redo everything after I get lumens readings and post it in my lumens readings thread soon.

Right now I am still on vacation and must :party:.