kleinertoto

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
i'm looking to a new thrower.
Can any me tell the difference between the
DBS V3 w/ 3SM Cree MC-E-M (OP),
DBS V3 w/ 1SM-E Cree MC-E-M (OP)
and the Tiablo ACE.

What is better light to seeing at a distance?? I need the LED light for the german nightcaches (geocaching), the reflectors are very small in germany.....

Thanks for answers from the cold and sunny germany.

kleinertoto

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy DBS/A10 with XR-E R2 it will throw better. MC-E puts out more light but is more floody.
Regards from even colder Poland and :welcome:

maxilux

Enlightened
In my opinion the Tiablo A10 R2 throws out the Dereelight DBS,
because of its larger and deeper reflektor.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going by light-reviews the A10 beats the DBS, at least initially with a 18650. The DBS appears to have better regulation on an 18650 and after time the A10's lux may drop below the DBS's lux.

The A10 is a larger, heavier, and bulkier light. As long as that isn't a concern and you want max throw the A10 maybe your light.

It appears you need the single mode switch to get the most out of the A10.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grin2: My A10 R2 is on order. It will be thoroughly tested. :grin2:

alohaluau

Newly Enlightened
:grin2: My A10 R2 is on order. It will be thoroughly tested. :grin2:

Certainly looking forward to that MrGman.:twothumbs

My A10 R2 has arrived, I'm using the single stage forward clicky, definitely brighter than the multimode clicky that came with it originally.

Unfortunately don't have the equipment to test it like some of the guys here...:eek:

Respect to you. :D

Cheers,
Luau
p.s. Had fun with the torch last night at the New Year's fireworks celebration!:laughing:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also repeat the A10 might beat the DBS on an 18650 when it's fresh. The DBS has flat regulation for the 18650 whereas the A10 does not.
The A10 does have slightly better numbers so far on lux meters in the 2 comparisons I've read so far. I look forward to more people comparing the two.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the furthest throwing flashlight the XR-E models will throw much further than the MC-E models. Between the A10 and DBS both with XR-Es, the A10 does beat it out significantly in lux at 1m. But that doesn't mean it throws better, as the beams could, and probably do, spread out at different rates. For example, the original Regalight EDC also measured significantly more lux at 1m than the DBS, but it did not throw as far. I havne't seen or read about a long range comparison between the two, so I don't know which actually throws further.

If I were to guess, I'd say the A10, because of its much higher lux measurement at 1m. But the DBS has already proven that isn't necessarily the end of it.

If you're determined to stick to the quad-die emitter, sorry, I can't help you there. A small manufacturer (or large custom builder?), cpfmp ID neoseikan, is making a P7 light, the Legion II, that he claims will outthrow the XR-E DBS, but that's still a ways off.

edit - I just realized this is your first post. Welcome to CPF :). Also, if you're wondering, you picked well - the XR-E models of the two flashlights you picked are currently the furthest throwing single-LED flashlights using reflectors.

Last edited:

kleinertoto

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answers,
i will sleep one, two or three nights an the order a light...
Can i order a tiablo ace directly from the manufacturer, what is the price??

regards from germany

kleinertoto

Ps: happy new year and a lot of health in 2009

L.E.D.

Enlightened
If you want the furthest throwing flashlight the XR-E models will throw much further than the MC-E models. Between the A10 and DBS both with XR-Es, the A10 does beat it out significantly in lux at 1m. But that doesn't mean it throws better, as the beams could, and probably do, spread out at different rates. For example, the original Regalight EDC also measured significantly more lux at 1m than the DBS, but it did not throw as far. I havne't seen or read about a long range comparison between the two, so I don't know which actually throws further.

Look at Ernsanada's review of the Tiablo. It also has a significantly smaller spot at longer distances, like the Super Tac's beam..

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may outhrow the DBS, but it has some problems. It has excessive current draw (read unsafe) when using 2 RCR123a's. It has poor regulation on 18650's, So, if you only use CR123a's I guess it's the light for you!

naked2

Enlightened
It may outhrow the DBS, but it has some problems. It has excessive current draw (read unsafe) when using 2 RCR123a's. It has poor regulation on 18650's, So, if you only use CR123a's I guess it's the light for you!
That's for a single 18650, and I guess its "poor" regulation with that configuration is in good company with lights like the Fenix TK11, JetBeam JetIII M, Olight M20, Regal WT1, LumaPower M1-R, iTP C6, and so on.

But with 2x 18650, I assume it would have the same flat regulation as 2x RCR123s (which Mev at Light-Reviews.com safely completed a runtime graph with in his review. Same with mine; with 2x RCR123/16340, there is no "excessive current draw"! Mine also works fine with 2x 18350, with 55 minutes runtime.

So kleinertoto, before you make your choice, know that the A10 can be used with a variety of different cell configurations, not just 2x CR123As! :twothumbs.

Isn't it funny though, how some people rave about some SureFires that only run off of CR123As, but a light that just happens to run extremely well on them, and is also completely capable of running other ways, isn't given a chance? :confused:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's for a single 18650, and I guess its "poor" regulation with that configuration is in good company with lights like the Fenix TK11, JetBeam JetIII M, Olight M20, Regal WT1, LumaPower M1-R, iTP C6, and so on.
Yes, they're all poor too. Thank you for pointing that out that other companies also make poorly regulated lights on 18650's.

The Tiablo A8 and Dereelight digital pills have good regulation on a single 18650. It's possible.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now we'll have to see if Dereelight comes out with a super thrower head that simply replaces the existing head on the DBS. Just take off the existing head, remove the pill from the reflector and screw it into the new and larger reflector in the new and larger head. :)

The question is when does the light get too large to be practical for the person using it? The DBS, Tiablo A9, MRV, etc, were all similar in size. In order to get a jump in throw the reflector has to be a good deal larger, enter the A10, but the whole light is larger as a result. So people will have to choose between a little more throw and a much larger light, or a little less throw and a smaller light.

Has anyone tried putting the A10 in their jeans pocket? I can easily and comfortably stick my DBS V2 in my front left jeans pocket and carry it around all day. From the looks of the A10 I'm not sure if I could do the same with it, and this is holding me back from picking one up.

What I'm more curious about is how the A10 works with the MC-E and what kind of lux #'s it can generate.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get my unit I plan and hope to compare it thoroughly to WBP's DBS and Raidfire Spear units. He has that very good spectral radiometer that can measure lux. I agree that the bigger lights with the deeper reflectors should be measured at greater than 1 meter. So I hope to convice WBP to do some quick side by side readings (lux not lumens) to compare the hot spot throw at 1 meter and possibly 5 meters or more to see what happens as well as outdoor comparisons lighting up the foliage.

As I said in another thread about this light specifically I would like to take some of my color poster "targets" of people that I have used in most of my other threads and light them up at 50 to 100 yards away rather than just look at green trees and see how well they all compare in looking at these targets. I will be using CR123 Batteries in it as that seems to have the best output and regulation combination, I don't care about the cost of the batteries for the testing.

Is it here yet (only ordered it yesterday)???????
Dang! :candle:

:D