Fenix and Rechargeables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gang-

What can you tell me about Fenix and rechargeable batteries? I'm new to this, but I think I have a few things figured out.

I have L1D and P2D. For the L1D, I am going with standard NiMH AA batteries by Energizer or Duracell. No worries about mixing old and new since it's a one cell light. Good to go.

Now, for the P2D, I've ordered the RB100 head from Eliteled.com. I've got a couple primaries lying around for taking care of it up front, but I've read that Fenix doesn't recommend rechargeables.

So, Question #1 is Is that true?:shrug:

And Question #2, If that is true and I need to stick to primaries, what brand to you guys recommend? :wave:I see cheaper ones called Battery Station and Energizer EL and Streamlight, but I don't see capacities, dependability, explosion rates (ha ha) listed.

(I've got about $40 to blow on whatever.):party:

Last edited:

wesinator

Newly Enlightened
I would stick with primaries, you can buy them in bulk and they'll be pretty cheap. you can actually buy like thirty primaries for the price of a charger and a few rcr123a. And primaries have about twice the capacity of rechargeable. and they don't blow up or short circuit your flashlight. so unless you plan on using hundreds of cr123s i think primaries are better.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't the nice LiFePO4 3.0V rcr's work just fine in the Fenix? The only issue would be that you would have to monitor them yourself to make sure they didn't go below 2V and damage the cell. At least they wouldn't go kabloey however...

deranged_coder

Enlightened
For CR123A batteries I have tried using Surefire, Energizer, Panasonic, Battery Station and Rayovac cells before and never had any issues. :shrug:

If you are just using the CR123A in a single cell configuration then you do not need to worry about accidentally mixing and matching cells of different brands, voltages, etc. In a multi-cell configuration make sure you never mix and match different brands. You can get a battery tester (I believe the most commonly recommended battery tester is a ZTS Tester because it measures the voltage when under load; you can get the tester from Lighthound) and test the cells to make sure their voltages match before using them in a multi cell configuration.

Battery Station recently had a promo where you could get a box of 50 Rayovac CR123A cells for $50. Might still be running and that would be a good price for CR123A cells.

In any case, avoid buying CR123A in retail stores since they will most likely cost you an arm and a leg. The average retail store price I have seen for CR123A cells is $5+/each whereas you can find CR123A cells online for like $1/each. :thumbsdow

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, for the P2D, I've ordered the RB100 head from Eliteled.com. I've got a couple primaries lying around for taking care of it up front, but I've read that Fenix doesn't recommend rechargeables.
You will lose the different brightness settings with the P2D as the voltage is higher with rechargeable RCR123s. It only functions correctly with 3V CR123s.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will lose the different brightness settings with the P2D as the voltage is higher with rechargeable RCR123s. It only functions correctly with 3V CR123s.

Only for the first few minutes whilst the batteries discharge enough for the boost circuit to start working again.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only for the first few minutes whilst the batteries discharge enough for the boost circuit to start working again.
Yup, I should have mentioned that bit.

"Chewy" rechargeables will also give less runtime than primaries.

DM51

Flashaholic
This very same question pops up with predictable regularity every few days here. It would be helpful if members would do some reading of existing threads before posting new ones. This one can close.

Status
Not open for further replies.