6 cells NiMH in Eveready dolphin?

W

weboweb

Hi folks,

I have an Eveready 6V torch that looks somewhat like this (it's more modern and waterproof:

pic1_2a.gif

The bulb in it is rated for 4.8V at 0.75mA. I have a 7.2V NiMH sub-c battery pack sitting around doing not much, so I was thinking about wiring it into this torch (the 6V batteries it takes are hopeless...) I've wired it up for 30 seconds - the bulb was hot but surprisingly not much worse than with a standard battery.

Just want to know if anyone has done this, and whether the bulb is okay with 7.2V (more like 9V at full charge).

Btw - if nobody's tried, it definitely beats the 6V battery in terms of light. The light becomes clear white as opposed to dull yellow. Much more effective.

petersmith6

Enlightened
the more you over drive a bulb the shorter its life .i would go for a 6 volt bulb ,a little less light but more life and less chance of instaflash .

missionaryman

Enlightened
hi weboweb, I have tried various combinations with the Dolphin and had great success - people underestimate how good this light is when you modify it.

If you use a 7.2v pack with a 5 cell Numstar bulb from a maglite (the Xenon upgrade) you will get an amazingly white beam and an HID like throw without damaging the reflector or the bulb, you can also use the 6 cell version but not quite as white and bright.
Also works well with a ROP low bulb - do a search on Roar of the Dolphin for more info.