McLux, NX-05 Optics prefered over McFlood (sorry!)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all due apoligies to the hard work that went into making the McFlood, after using the McLux with the McFlood for several days (and using another one that I purchased some time ago from dat2zip), I swapped out the expertly made McFlood to the NX-05 Optics, and I have to say that I like the NX-05 optics better.

It was implied that "flashlight connisours" like the McFlood better, as it does not have a beam, but gives a gentle direction to the light, and has no real hot spot, just a wall of light.

Well, the NX-05 is not known for giving dime shaped laser beam style of light beam, but rather a wide beam, with a nice side spill.

While I have used the light is a specific area where I liked having the McFlood optics. more often than not, the "wide gentle wall of light" did not have enough punch for me.

So, I switched out the McFlood for a NX-05 optics, and was imressed with my MCFLOOD ALL OVER AGAIN!

I was worried that the Bad Boy 400 circuitry would limit my light output, but WOW, the McLux with the NX-05 optics can rival my MR BULK LGI's for brightness, color and over all impressiveness! Tonight I will compare the LGI with fresh batteries to the McLux with a fresh surefire battery.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for the report. I too am having a challenge getting used to the McFlood optics. I ordered a couple NX05 optics, however they have not arrived yet. Do you have an ARC-LS to compare the McLux to. I'm interested in the differences with the NX05 installed.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTY, I have to say, I LOVE MY MCLUX!!!!!!!!!!

It really feels good, natural to operate, and feels nice in your hand!

Darell

Flashaholic
That's OK, Budd, I forgive you. Hey, we all have different needs. I've decided to not even smite you. Even if I knew what "smiting" involved. One thing's for sure - you'll impress more people with the throw of the optics than you ever will with the flood. If you spend your time crawling behind appliances and standing on your head under dashboards (like I do), the flood is king! For any kind of throw the NX05 is hard to beat... for now. Reflectors are the wave of the future folks. Mark my words!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I wonder how the McLux would do with Wayne's 30mm optics. Below is a pic from his website, "coming from the same Luxeon Star batwing type LED, at a constant power level. Meter readings at 1 meter."

30mm.Comparison.Beamshots.jpg

Has anybody tried the McLux with Wayne's 30mm optics and compared it to the NX05 optics?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Humm....... That beam shot looks familiar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To use the 30 mm optics with the McLux, a "turbo" McLux head would be required:

McL5W-thumb.jpg

This is vaporware with first rumors to be spread in the third quarter of this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

- Don

bucken

Enlightened
Sounds like there may be more surprises down the road, huh?

Meanwhile, has anyone attempted to turn down a 30 MM optic to fit the McLux, just to see what happens? I almost tempted to... But my McLux is perfect just the way it is... What to do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: McLux, NX-05 Optics prefered over McFlood (sor

I could use a McFlood for a Minimag that I put an Inretech cyan in if anybody wants to get rid of theirs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: McLux, NX-05 Optics prefered over McFlood (sor

I'd just as soon swap out the McFlood out of the McLux and stick it onto a minimag with a BB400Q3L... Works like a charm, and I still get the overall pitch I need from both reflectors and 2 lights I would carry.

McGizmo's like a genie. Wish granted: poof, out pops the perfect light!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
the wizard at work again

I made the mistake of seeing some of the things in Don's shop, he loves his mods and making neat, functional stuff, the wizard he.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Humm....... That beam shot looks familiar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To use the 30 mm optics with the McLux, a "turbo" McLux head would be required:

McL5W-thumb.jpg

This is vaporware with first rumors to be spread in the third quarter of this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd buy one of these........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Black HA II to match (the rest on the McLux) would be a nice touch.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bucken

Enlightened
Just checked... The LS emitter in the McLux is set so deep that an unmodified 30 MM optic can't get close enough to the LS to focus. At least mine is this way, YMMV.

zackhugh

Enlightened
I seem to be in the minority, but I prefer the McFlood to the NX-05 for my use of the McLux. I had no previous experience with the McFlood but since getting the McLux I find it very useful for looking around the house in the dark. When using my Arc, my eyes tend to focus on the spot, whereas with the McLux I could look within the "wall of light" (is this line patented by the Skunks yet?) for what I wanted. Although frankly, I'm splitting hairs here. I love my Mcluxes whatever the optic in it. I have an Arc for the NX-05 if I want and even have two McLuxes--I could leave one with the McFlood and switch the other to the NX-05 and walk around with both, I guess.

I too am interested to see how the beamshape of the McLux with NX-05 compares to that of the Arc LS.