Whats the difference between a Fenix TK10 and TK11

Albinoni

Banned
Whats the difference between these two torches, are they about the same size and use the same type batts but the TK11 comes with a OP reflector where as the TK10 comes with a normal reflector.

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
Awwww don't be so mean... :nana:

TK10 -

• Cree Premium (Q5) 7090 XR-E LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours
  • Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel:
    Turbo Mode: Constant 225 Lumens, 1.5 hours
    General Mode: Constant 60 Lumens, 10 hours
  • Highly efficient focused head - throws beam over 200 meters
  • Textured Reflector for optimum balance and transition between spot and flood
  • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
  • Low battery indication system
  • Uses two 3V CR123A lithium or li-ion rechargeable batteries (not included)
  • Durable aircraft-grade aluminum housing
  • 135mm (length) x 34mm (diameter)
  • 136 gram weight (excluding batteries)
  • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
  • Tactical grip ring for Cigar technique (removable)
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
  • Tactical tailcap switch with momentary-on function
  • Tactical body clip - attaches securely for easy carrying
  • Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
  • Included accessories: holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, spare rubber switch boot, allen wrench, two spare screws, and copper spacer ring.
TK11 -

• Cree Premium R2 LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours
  • Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel (Patented):
    Turbo Mode: Constant 240 Lumens
    2.7 hours (one 18650 Li-ion battery)
    1.5 hours (two CR123A batteries)
    General Mode: Constant 64 Lumens
    12 hours (one 18650 Li-ion battery)
    10 hours (two CR123A batteries)
  • Highly efficient polished & focused reflector - throws beam over 200 meters
  • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
  • Uses one 4.2V 18650 Li-ion, two 3V CR123A lithium batteries, or two RCR123A lithium-ion batteries.
  • 135mm (L) x34mm (D)
  • Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
  • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
  • 152-gram weight (excluding batteries)
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
  • Tactical tailcap switch with momentary-on function
  • Tactical removable grip-ring for cigar-hold technique
  • Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
  • Included accessories: one holster, lanyard, rubber switch boot and two spare o-rings.
Main thing is that the tk10 has an opaque reflector and the tk11 has a smooth one meaning it throws further and also the tk11 allows you to use 18650 batteries...

naked2

Enlightened
Actually, the main thing is that the TK11 will run on a single cell (18650), and the TK10 needs two cells (CR123A or RCR123/16340). And there are two versions of the TK11, Q5 and R2.

naked2

Enlightened
Actually the TK10 can run on a single 17670 too and still have turbo and general levels. I think I saw it in some runtime.
It won't work on turbo, the light's low voltage protection kicks in and it flickers at a real high frequency.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it was easy to ecide, as I don't use rechargeables and preffer OP reflectors : TK10!

Yes, indeed, it's the TK10 that has an OP and the TK11 that has an SMO... :duh2:

For somebody who wants to power it with an 18650, the choice is also easy : TK11 R2. Don't take the Q5, as, according to what I've already read here, the R2 keeps its brightness over the run while the Q5 gets dimmer as the voltage drops.

I really like my TK10, one of my favorite lights. Very bright, very smooth beam, enough throw for what I need (and if not, I'll use the M20 R2 with the SMO). The built quality should be the same for both lights. :cool:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I do, and this is the first thread with a title that matched the question I had.

There have been tonnes of posts regarding these 2 lights over the last 6 monthes. This is definitely NOT the only post on this topic.

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
More subtle differences that I noticed:

My TK10 has a larger spill area and a larger central spot. The light has a very slight blue tint.

My TK11 R2 has a smaller tighter brighter central spot and smaller a a little bit dimmer spill area than the TK10. It also has a bit of a yellow tint to the light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
More subtle differences that I noticed:

My TK10 has a larger spill area and a larger central spot. The light has a very slight blue tint.

My TK11 R2 has a smaller tighter brighter central spot and smaller a a little bit dimmer spill area than the TK10. It also has a bit of a yellow tint to the light.

As stated several times (and linked to above), that is because of textured vs smooth reflector. Tint is due solely to the tint lottery, not the light model.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't take the Q5, as, according to what I've already read here, the R2 keeps its brightness over the run while the Q5 gets dimmer as the voltage drops.
Henk_Lu, I am not aware that this is the case, do you have a link to show that the R2 has better regulation?

Thanks

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
There must be a harmonic balance between hotspot and spill for a light to work effectively outdoors. Both these lights are not focusable.

For me the tk10 has a better balance and a more beautiful spread. It is also bright enough for all my tasks.

When the future make believe TK12 puts out 370 lumens I will possibly switch.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henk_Lu, I am not aware that this is the case, do you have a link to show that the R2 has better regulation?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I haven't, but it was here on CPF. Perhaps I misunderstood something. Maybe!

As for the tint, it may be coincidence, but my R2 lights (M20 Premium, Infinitum) have a yellowish tint, you may call it "natural" if you want, while my Fenix tend nearly all to purplish (Q5). The EagleTacs are greenish (but not green!!!), greenish-blueish if you like. I am aware that it is a lotery though! :drool:

Grog

Enlightened
I do, and this is the first thread with a title that matched the question I had.

There have been tonnes of posts regarding these 2 lights over the last 6 monthes. This is definitely NOT the only post on this topic.

As you can see, I did not say this was the ONLY thread, only the first one that showed up in my search that matched my criteria.

Maybe the first (most recent), but there are AT LEAST a dozen more right below it.

How bout' that :D

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
well i must add this is been very helpful to me. the direct comparison of the tk10 and tk11. i think i'm gonna pick up a tk10 tonight.

alvin8803

Newly Enlightened
i'm new to flashlights as well, but i'm really amazed how fenix tk10 performs esp the combination of spill,flood and throw and the olive green color makes it even look cool. a relative from Hongkong will buy me one as a gift but unfortunately there's no olive green color available, i'm considering to get the tk11 r2 instead since there is no olive green available. just want to know if there is really a big difference between the spill, flood of tk10 and the tk11 r2, i know that tk11 r2 has more throw but how about the flood/spill? how little is little? thank you very much in advance. hope to hear from you soon guys. God bless!

naked2

Enlightened
IMO, the TK10 has a MUCH nicer beam, all around (creamy white tint, smooth artifact-free transition from spot to spill). I had both, kept the finned, clipless :)thumbsup:) TK11 body to be able to use 2x 18350 with the TK10 head, and sold the rest as a TK11 R2 w/ clip.

Mine is all black (the 10/11 parts match perfectly!); out of over 25 flashlights, it is still one of my favorites/most used! :D