Flat tire @ 0200 hrs.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
Break out the jack, the spare and the EDC light (a NT 120P in this case)

Biggest lesson: Bezel mounted clip to attach the light to a ballcap is very useful when nobody's there to hold the flashlight for you while you change the flat. Mouth hold method will probably be very tiring to the jaw muscles. Also, while bezel up carry may expose the lens to damage, I feel that the trade off with usefulness is worth it.

chaoss

Enlightened
I'll bet that the spill on that Novatac beam came in real handy during your tire change.
Also , i seem to recall a post somewhere on c.p.f. pertaining to B/U carry on a Novatac. I believe that the clip was installed between the bezel and body. I'm not sure if the bezel used was stock or aftermarket?

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
that must be*(£^$*£^%^^$*"^%((*"^£*&^("&*$^Y£*^$( annoying:scowl:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Well, that's why you carry an EDC, right? Now just imagine if you weren't a flashaholic... you would probably be searching the glove compartment or under the seat for that plastic light you stuck there 6 years ago :naughty: Glad it all worked out :)

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
Well, that's why you carry an EDC, right? Now just imagine if you weren't a flashaholic... you would probably be searching the glove compartment or under the seat for that plastic light you stuck there 6 years ago :naughty: Glad it all worked out :)

a great feature on bmw's you get a little flashlight in the glovebox that fits into a little slot. it's recharged by the car's battery :)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, on the bright side, starting out the new year with a flat tire means that things can only get better from here. Great point about the bezel up mounted clip.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
a great feature on bmw's you get a little flashlight in the glovebox that fits into a little slot. it's recharged by the car's battery :)

Only problem is when the stock ni-cad battery is charged to death by the cars charging system is the dealer has to order you a new one from Germany. It comes by dirigible and takes about 2 months. It runs you about $295.00 but it has a BMW logo on it. :grin2:

petersmith6

Enlightened
i alway keep a cheap head lamp fueled up with lithiums for break downs and flats. EDC's are great but two hands are better than one. another usefull tip is to keep a couple of pairs of surgical gloves (or gardening gloves)in you glove box. that way when you have done you can take them of and your nice and clean...ok cleaner. also a packet of baby wipes come in handey for cleaning up.
remember
murphys law states you are most likley to break down on the way to somthing realy important.

and a small can of body spray/ deoderant in the glove box isa great way of masking the unwanted smell of manky engin ,sweat, and hard work.

D-Dog

Enlightened

Don't BMW's also have the run-flat system? You wouldn't even have to get out to change it :p

Cydonia

Enlightened
Only problem is when the stock ni-cad battery is charged to death by the cars charging system is the dealer has to order you a new one from Germany. It comes by dirigible and takes about 2 months. It runs you about $295.00 but it has a BMW logo on it. :grin2:

:crackup: (As if us mad CPF modders couldn't crack the light open and replace those NiCd's ourselves!)

SnWnMe

Enlightened
i alway keep a cheap head lamp fueled up with lithiums for break downs and flats. EDC's are great but two hands are better than one. another usefull tip is to keep a couple of pairs of surgical gloves (or gardening gloves)in you glove box. that way when you have done you can take them of and your nice and clean...ok cleaner. also a packet of baby wipes come in handey for cleaning up.
remember
murphys law states you are most likley to break down on the way to somthing realy important.

and a small can of body spray/ deoderant in the glove box isa great way of masking the unwanted smell of manky engin ,sweat, and hard work.

Yeah I have a small pack of wipes in my car also. Found out they dried out already though. :oops: I'm putting gloves (and new wipes) in the car today.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in this case, lying the flashlight on the ground on its side would have worked well.

I'm glad that everything turned out alright.

taiji

Enlightened
you can keep some magnets in your tool box that you can attach to the fender for your flashlight. And some tape to tie your light , attached to the magnet.

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope I never get a flat tire but I try to prevent it by keeping maintaince current on my car (currently right under 60K on a 2005 Mazda.) I do check my tire pressure fairly consistently (every 10-14 days) and keep it at the recommended 30 psi at all corners.

Just in case thought I keep a Inova 24/7 with headband in the back along with the flashlights I have with me and a glow strap :)

Jason

Qoose

Enlightened
I hope I never get a flat tire but I try to prevent it by keeping maintaince current on my car (currently right under 60K on a 2005 Mazda.) I do check my tire pressure fairly consistently (every 10-14 days) and keep it at the recommended 30 psi at all corners.

Just in case thought I keep a Inova 24/7 with headband in the back along with the flashlights I have with me and a glow strap :)

Jason

Flat tires never have come from lack of maintenance for me. It's always someone leaving a perfectly shaped shard of glass near the dumpster or a small roofing nail..:mad:

One thing that is a quick fix though is to keep a can of runflat goop in your trunk. It can often be enough to get you to a nearby repair place if your in a hurry.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

LOL German engineering ($$$) at its finest:p.

thanks for the good laugh;)

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I think in this case, lying the flashlight on the ground on its side would have worked well.

I'm glad that everything turned out alright.

I tried this first. The rough asphalt prevented any light bounce from splashing onto the wheel.

Flat tires never have come from lack of maintenance for me. It's always someone leaving a perfectly shaped shard of glass near the dumpster or a small roofing nail..:mad:

That's what happened. A nail got the tire.

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
the lucky thing for me is that my dealer can get them cheaper also mine is in the uk:twothumbs

Jake.t

Newly Enlightened
once my dad kerbed his car (an X5) and i burst the tyre and left a great gaping hole in the tyre at 11:45 there was alot of swearing

Last edited: