Any lights matching the following specs?

SERT

Newly Enlightened
Folks,

Deferring to your expertise on this. I've tried running searches but couldn't pinpoint any specific info. Looking for a light that meets the following specs:

Lamp:
3W Lux III Lambertian LED
Burn Time: 4 hours
Lumens: Min 70
Battery: 2 x CR123
Switch:
Push button type; Momentary and Constant On/Off
Body:
CNC machined aluminum, knurled with Type III natural hard anodized finish

Light will be abused so it needs to be rated for LE or Mil use. I have a Surefire L5 which (I think) meets this requirement but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, SERT.

I think you may mean "deferring" rather than "differing" - the meanings of the 2 words are opposite.

I'm sure the members here will be able to suggest a suitable light for you. There will probably be suggestions that do not use a Lux III emitter, though - there are more efficient ones around now, unless you have a particular reason for specifying a Lux III.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Is there some reason you want to use such an outdated emitter?

Ignoring that part, I suggest a Surefire 6P host (about $40), and a Malkoff M60WL module. It has the runtime you want, more brightness, and is warmer in color that most LED's and will be closer to incan.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might want to look at the lights with a current gen LED. Twice or more the efficiency of the previous generation Luxeon LEDs.

The rest of it shouldn't be too hard though.

What size range and price are you looking at?

:welcome:

SERT

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, SERT.

I think you may mean "deferring" rather than "differing" - the meanings of the 2 words are opposite.

Deferring it is. My mistake and thank you kindly for pointing that out.

Guys, I hear you and I am listening to what you're saying. Unfortunately, this is the requirement that has been put forth by the end user so I have to work with this.

That said, I am taking notes on all you have said above and will point this out as such. That's why I posted this here because you folks are the savviest on the subject.

Appreciate all the advice, info and suggestions.

Many thanks.

phoneguy

Enlightened
I would suggest a Jetbeam Jet III M . It has a Cree LED, multiple brightness settings from 2-225 lumens, strobe. It will run on 2x123 or a rechargeable 18650. It will run 225 lumens for 3 hours. HAIII as well. Nice light, under $90.00.

Bryan

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The major companies that produce tactical lights have or are in the process of upgrading their lights with better emitters than the LUX III.Lumileds, the mfc. of the LUX III now offers the Rebel and TFFC K2 emitters that are much more efficient and brighter.The INOVA T1 meets your requirements and uses the TFFC K2 if you must have a Luxeon.Marduke's suggestion offers more throw and better color rendition using a warm temp. CREE emitter.I would try and change the end user's mind as there is no point in using the LUX III with better LEDs available.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sert, we here ya on the end users requirements, and do want to help.
But, as Luke pointed out, with todays batteries at least, it is mathmaticly impossible.

Philips spec sheet says 1 amp for 80 lumens, that is the # I will use.

A primary cr123 may give you 1400 mAH capacity. You will of course be using a buck circuit to bring the voltage down to the proper drive level for that led. At the very best figure 90% efficiency on that circuit. Under best possible conditions, IE no heat or extra resistance in the circuit, you could hope for 2.5 hours runtime. That isn't even realistic, you won't be able to suck every last drop of energy out the batteries. A constant current buck circuit will use energy through a sense resistor to bias the output, more energy wasted there. (there are other ways to design the circuit, but they will have limitations as well) There will be resistance in the path from the batteries to your emitter.

People better versed than me could point out other scenarios, but thats what I see.

If there is a much more efficient bin of the Lux III it could be possible, or like I said if there is a cr123 with more power it could be possible.

I am finding #'s of 25-30 lumens per watt with the Lux III.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Unfortunately, this is the requirement that has been put forth by the end user so I have to work with this...
You might try sending a respectful letter to the end user or whoever has procurement responsibility stating that they are making an unecessarily tight design requirement in specifying an explicit manufacturer, given that they are no longer the best for this application. Emphasize that they (and everyone else) will benefit from a change to either a looser design spec (e.g. high power single die white LED of minimum 50,000 hours lifetime when driven at 3 watts...) or maybe to just a performance spec (unbreakable, white, light source of X lumens output at Y watts draw).

Most of the time, the CYA attitude will prevent anyone from sticking their neck out to make a product better, but you never know. If you want to take a risk (expecially as a Lux can't meet the spec), you can propose a Cree and explain why or make an additional Cree based offering.

Good luck.

SERT

Newly Enlightened
Gents, I'm very appreciative of the information you've generously shared. I now understand a bunch of stuff much better.

All the points are all very well taken. I'm gonna make some recommendations based on your suggestions.

It appears that they've been getting some bad/old info from whomever they are getting it from.

Thanks a mil!

phoneguy

Enlightened
Invite them to come check out the site for themselves. There is a wealth of knowledge here from many members. They can also save some money by shopping here.

Bryan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, invite them here to get some info, or put some info from here into a document and give it to them.

A light that could work is a Surefire 6PD(the D comes with a forward clickie, but not HA, just type II) with a malkoff M60L or LL.

I'm guessing multimode is out?

carrot

Flashaholic
All of these sound like a pretty weird requirement... but I probably don't understand the criteria for why some elements were chosen so I'll just roll with it.

Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M60L will almost meet this requirement minus the LuxIII, but LuxIII's are considered fairly outdated and are significantly outperformed by similar Cree and Seoul Semiconductor LEDs.

Other setback here is that the C2 is not actually knurled. Weirdly enough there are no C-size (6P, Z2, etc) Surefires with both knurling and hard anodize, which means your customer will either have to choose between knurling (6P) or hard anodize (C2), or make a special custom request to Surefire for hard anodized 6P's. I hear if you place a large enough order they will entertain special requests.

I cannot think of an application where a Lux may be preferable, unless you had a very specific reflector/flashlight body design that precluded the use of Cree or Seoul, although Seoul is practically a drop-in replacement for Luxeon as far as beam pattern is concerned.

I have been working on a flashlight guide where I discuss, etc, etc, information that pertains to your ultimate goal of picking/supplanting criteria that may help you in your quest. It might be a bit wordy but I think you'll find it informative. Link below in my sigline.

SERT

Newly Enlightened
Carrot - thanks for the link. Great reading indeed :)

Gents, a quick thank you to all once again. The end user has read the points that you've noted and suffice to say the requirements have been modified.

Appreciate all the advice and thanks again for your help.