Flashlight rituals for the New Year?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
As part of welcoming in the New Year I routinely check all of the flashlights I EDC, the one my wife EDCs, and all the lights I have squirreled away throughout the house, car, etc. to make sure that they all work. Anything looking dim gets fresh batteries in them or if they are running on rechargeables they get topped up in the charger. I also recharge my stash of rechargeable batteries and top up every rechargeable battery that is in use around the house (eneloops in the TV remotes, baby's toys, etc.). I figure it is a good way to start the New Year; everything topped up and ready to go (will go gas up the car to a full tank later today, too). :grin2:

Later tonight, I expect to clean with Deoxit and re-lube all of the lights that my wife and I EDC. :)

Do you guys do anything like that for the New Year? :thinking:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
usually once a month for me, at the same time i will be cleaning my fishing gear, sharpening all the knives in the kitchen too.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Of course. Ritual work is an essential part of the Light Cult.
I don my black robes and partake of a solemn ceremony of asking for More Light... oh...heh... that's a secret. Sorry. :eek:oo:

cl0123

Enlightened
I like that idea! How about reviewing the inventory of what you have and then plot out how to "fill the holes" in the coming year? My to-do list for 2009 would be:

1. Small but long-lasting lanterns for blackouts.
  2. Emergency power-failure light. Something that automatically lights up when there is a power-failure.
  3. Headlamps.
  4. Reserve batteries that can recharge cell-phone as well as lithium batteries.
Too bad our flashlights are not exactly maintenance free. We had an island-wide blackout a week ago and thank goodness I happened to have all my lithium-ion cells recharged the weekend before it. "Minor" maintenance to me is nothing but recharging the batteries and perhaps making sure there are no leaks in anything, especially in my emergency kit. I'd say i do that every 6 weeks to 2 months, by the way the lights are normally used.

"Major" maintenance involves cleaning, re-lubing the threads and the contact surfaces. I am not really particular about the frequency, but I would usually clean out at least anything that screams for it.

I had a history of flashing almost 1-2 bulbs in the beginning when I got into M6 and incans, and I do tend to alcohol-wipe the bulbs once in a while even though I know I haven't touched them.

Of course, I am patiently waiting for that SF 500 lumens multi-level super light. Not that I really "need" it, but it would be good to see an improved version of the U2A.

With Aloha,

Clarence

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Later tonight, I expect to clean with Deoxit and re-lube all of the lights that my wife and I EDC. :)

Do you guys do anything like that for the New Year? :thinking:

Great post, deranged_coder! :thumbsup: Yessir -- DeoxIT every month or so and the occasional Nyogel_760G touch-up does the trick for my quiver of torches. And a coat of Meguiar's every other month keeps 'em all looking their very best, too. :D

-Clive

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I topped off all my Li-Ion batteries and cycled all my Eneloops (well most, since I'm still working on that task).

AA6TZ

Enlightened
What do you wax on your lights? Thats the first I've heard of that.

I wax the entire body. (Then I wax my flashlights. :D)

Seriously, though... I apply McGuiar's (or Mother's) cleaner wax to a host of objects that ordinarily do not require/demand it. Why? To preserve their finishes (reduces the rate of oxidation) and to simply make 'em look better. Try waxing, say, a new SureFire E2DL, then observe not only how much better it appears (and for that much longer), but also the resulting softer tactile sensation exhibited by its surface(s). Furthermore, fingerprints/smudges can (much) more easily be wiped off. Obviously, it doesn't make their surfaces any harder or able to withstand greater punishment. The short of it is, it's just a quirk that I've developed after having collected so many different varieties of "things" over the years. I like to Armorall most vinyl/plastic surfaces "while I'm at it", as well. :eek:

It's only too clear that I am in dire need of some serious psychological counseling. Becoming a member of CPF was the next best thing.....:whistle:

Let the flaming commence! :tinfoil:

Cheers! :twothumbs

-Clive