help with battery choices for 2D ROP/hotwire

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, I have built 2 ROPs both using 6 eneloops, i have done the tailspring and switch reistance fix but i still only get half hour use out of my hi bulb.

is this the best way to power this bulb and is this average going on my battery choice

i also have a few WA1111's

should i go down the route of lithium batteries, is there any big advantage in runtime/performance
and what would be the best size to suit a 2D mag running ROP bulbs and WA1111's etc
and how would i go about fitting them in

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
For the ROP high get yourself the tailcap extension or the five mega tailcap that will accomodate 2 of the AW C Cells. That will give you better run time than what you have now. Its a simple upgrade.

mdocod

Flashaholic
There are D size li-ion cells... I don't own any and don't really ever plan on it, but many people have used them and I haven't heard of any problems yet...

D size li-ion cells will do about an hour runtime on the ROP... do a little research and see if there is a protected cell that'll fire up that lamp or if you have to go unprotected.. I can't remember as I haven't followed that trend as the only places to buy D size li-ion cells are KD/DX type places, and I don't "trust" those "fire" cells, but not sure who is actually making the D size cells so they may be just fine as far as safety goes...

Eric

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can pickup AW's C-size lithiums and a Mag-C extension ring at Lighthound.com.AW's C-cells are a little longer than regular C-cells and you need the extension ring to use the stock spring.This setup runs longer and is noticeably brighter than 6 Eneloops.I also run 2 unprotected 18650's in 2D Mag but every so often the batteries go :poof:!!!

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
right i found d size lithium cells at KD, they arent protected so i think i will go with AW C cells.

How is the width compared to a d cell i can imagine they are narrower, what would be the best way to keep them centred

what would be the best way of charging these cells, i have an ultrafire w139 and have soldered the contacts to charge RCR123 would this charge these properly, all i would need is a C cell holder and some croc clips

BSBG

Enlightened
How is the width compared to a d cell i can imagine they are narrower, what would be the best way to keep them centred

PVC pipe works great - here in the US 1" Schedule 40 usually works fine, you'll need the metric equivalent :).

cfromc

Enlightened
I have the KD D-cells and charge them with alligator clips, wire and neodium magnets. Takes a long time but works fine, just don't leave the batteries on the charger once the light turns green because it will trickle charge them (same with other cells too). The C-cells should last 40-45 minutes and the D-cells at least an hour. As soon as the light dims, shut it off.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their protection circuit may not allow the ROP-HI to start on the first click. The circuit is very sensitive.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their protection circuit may not allow the ROP-HI to start on the first click. The circuit is very sensitive.

In my case that is true.....I have the AW soft start/three level switch to operate my 2xD Mag with the Kai D cells and 5761 bulb....works a treat.