MM Hotwire reflectors?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it appears that lighthound is no longer carrying the entire hotwire kit (just bulbs and sockets), what is a good alternative reflector to use? Would an McR20 work well? I'm looking to retain the twist on-off...

JSO123

Newly Enlightened
I've got the same problem.. The Mini Mag hotwire is my first attempted mod. I've bought 2 plastic ones by mistake...melted all over the bulb.

I've posted before looking for a metal reflector - with no leads.

Anyone know where to buy one?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Not sure how good the reflective coating holds up with hotwire mods but I assume a MM hotwire mod couldn't get that hot to affect the McRs. McR-20 will not fit a MM head unless bored out. Because the length of the McR-20, all my MMs are bored out for 20mm reflectors & with LED mods the head just barely screws back onto the body. I'm not a hotwire guy so I'm not sure how much higher your socket is over the stock one if any but keep this in mind if it is higher.

I believe the McR-18 fits without modification to the head but since all my MMs have been bored out I can't confirm. Perhaps someone else can verify?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can shave the fins off the 20 and it'll fit, or so I thought; but I'm unsure how it'll fair with the hotwire bulb (both the heat and how well it'll do focusing the filament). AFAIK the 18 will fit.

Any thoughts on using these with that incan?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Actually I found a new MM in my stash. A McR-18 does fit but it sits loose inside the head. The socket (or emitter in LED mods) would have to hold the McR-18 against the reflector. Again, don't know what your howire socket looks like but don't think this would be a good solution for your needs.

I think boring the head to accomodate a McR-20 would be best since it's secured in the head. But as mentioned, not sure how it will work with the socket & focus with the incan bulb.

JSO123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info - and this may seem like a dumb question , but where do I go to buy a mcr-18 or 20 reflector?

Latest posts