Which one is "Warmer"?

N/Apower

Enlightened
Malkoff M60W or Dereelight drop-in with the 5A Q3.

Assuming the Dereelight has the 1.2amp driver and the SMO reflecter, could it be expected to out-throw the Malkoff noticeably?

What about durability? Are they both 100% G2G to the point that durability would not factor in the decision between the two for a weapon-mounted light?

What is the difference in a 5A Q3 and a 5A Q2?

Axion

Enlightened
Objectively the Malkoff and the Dereelight are very similar. They are both 5A tint so they'll be equally warm and the difference between Q2 and Q3 won't be noticeable. They are also both well built units that I'd trust fully. By the good choice with the warm tint, ever since I got my M30W I've been a convert. Anything you lose in overall output (since the 5A emitters are only Q2-Q3 vs. Q5-R2 for the cool white ones) is more then made up for by the increase in depth perception and generally more natural colors.

Subjectively I'd go for the Malkoff simply because I prefer the beam pattern. For anything inside of 100 feet I find the wide spot and smooth spill of the M30 to be very useful. And while the furthest reaches of the spill aren't super bright with the Malkoff the width makes for a good sense of your surroundings.

*edit* 5A is the tint bin. Q2 or Q3 is the output bin, with the Q3 emitters being slightly more efficient.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Objectively the Malkoff and the Dereelight are very similar. They are both 5A tint so they'll be equally warm and the difference between Q2 and Q3 won't be noticeable. They are also both well built units that I'd trust fully. By the good choice with the warm tint, ever since I got my M30W I've been a convert. Anything you lose in overall output (since the 5A emitters are only Q2-Q3 vs. Q5-R2 for the cool white ones) is more then made up for by the increase in depth perception and generally more natural colors.

Subjectively I'd go for the Malkoff simply because I prefer the beam pattern. For anything inside of 100 feet I find the wide spot and smooth spill of the M30 to be very useful. And while the furthest reaches of the spill aren't super bright with the Malkoff the width makes for a good sense of your surroundings.

*edit* 5A is the tint bin. Q2 or Q3 is the output bin, with the Q3 emitters being slightly more efficient.

I have a M60W and just ordered the Dereelight. I want max throw and I thought that the SMO reflector and 1.2A driver plus the warm cree would give me that in the Dereelight. I was told to expect 180-190 Torch Lumens from the Deree, since the old 1.0 A driver ones put out 170 or so. If this is the case, it will be a TOUCH more lumens than the Malkoff and much better hot-spot due to the SMO. Is any of the above inaccurate/flawed logic?

Axion

Enlightened
I didn't realize you had an M30 and already know about it's beam pattern. I have a DBS not a CL1H so I can't comment on that directly, but the Dereelight drop-in will have a tighter, more intense spot.

sstmax

Newly Enlightened
I have a M60W and just ordered the Dereelight. I want max throw and I thought that the SMO reflector and 1.2A driver plus the warm cree would give me that in the Dereelight. I was told to expect 180-190 Torch Lumens from the Deree, since the old 1.0 A driver ones put out 170 or so. If this is the case, it will be a TOUCH more lumens than the Malkoff and much better hot-spot due to the SMO. Is any of the above inaccurate/flawed logic?

Are the above figures for the 5A Q3?

I'm also considering a Dereelight CL1H for general use and commuting on my bike. I already have an MTE SSC P7, but was looking for something to compliment this and add a bit more throw on the helmet to replace my current L2D.

Does anyone have any approximate lumens values for the R2WH vs the 5A Q3?

Are runtimes and regulation (with 1 18650) more-or-less the same as for the R2 bin emmiters?

I'm assuming the 5A would be better on wet, muddy trails? My commute is 12 miles, much of it on unlit farm roads, hence the attraction of the warmer tint.

Fird

Enlightened
I've used the CL1H 5AQ3 by itself as a headlight for my bike, the SMO reflector really really kicks out the throw, but as a solo light it worked better with the OP reflector to provide some sidespill. I had plenty of light on the "medium" setting for my somewhat leasurely 13mph cruising speed and felt safe going 20+mph with the light at full power (I could see that far ahead). If you've got a 2 light system, SMO works great. I used it on a dark but mostly paved trail through the woods, and the color rendition DID help quite a bit, kept naughty tree branches from jumping out in front of me.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I have the CL1H with WH R2 and it is very warm to my eyes and even more so when compared directly with other lights. Output is around 260 lumen's with the 1.2a digital driver on one 18650 but my other pill also R2 WH but SM driver is whiter and about 10% brighter. Not sure why it should be brighter as i assumed they would be equal but the SM pill is definitely brighter.

sstmax

Newly Enlightened
Just waiting on the UK Dereelight dealer to get more stock in before I buy. Still torn between the 5A Q3 and the R2 WH!

Any idea on the lumens out of a 5A Q3 either with the 1S or 3SD pills, just to give me a rough idea as to how much difference there would be between the Q3 & the R2.

Also, as my main use for this light would be biking would there be any point in going for a warm tint when my MTE SSC P7 isn't particularly warm? Even although the P7 is mainly for foreground use and the CL1H would be more of a "main beam".

Also, why is it that the "natural tint" LED bins seem to lag by 2 or 3 generations??

jenskh

Enlightened
If you want maximum illumination and throw, go with the R2 WH. The only advantage of the Q3 5A is that colors look even more natural and that it is more cozy. This can in no way compensate for the higher light output of the R2 regarding target discovery and identification.

sstmax

Newly Enlightened
If you want maximum illumination and throw, go with the R2 WH. The only advantage of the Q3 5A is that colors look even more natural and that it is more cozy. This can in no way compensate for the higher light output of the R2 regarding target discovery and identification.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware that the R2 WH will be brigher, it's just by how much.

My commute involves lit and unlit tarmac with a section of rough farm tracks. I'm just wondering if the Q3 would offer any advantage on the rough, muddy tracks in identifying nasty potholes etc.

Given the warmish tint the R2 WH people are reporting, I'm currently swaying that way.

jenskh

Enlightened
WH is warm and gives noticeable colour improvements especially outside.
I do not quite agree. It is slightly warmer than the WC tint, and the slightly bluish tint has been exchanged with slightly greenish. I really like the WH tint, but it is still a cool tint.

electric sheep

Enlightened
Strange, it looks almost yellow when next to another light????????:confused: But i have another pill with the same LED but multi mode and that is whiter.