Photon Rex (includes technical data; Rex overcharges its cell!)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the first time, I've ordered a non-ultracheap flashlight for no other reason than curiosity. I won't be EDCing it (as much as the Rex looks nice, I doubt it'll beat the NDI), I already have lights for my home, and I don't currently know anyone who'd like it as a present (multimode operation, weird charging method).

But I must know how it works!

On this subject, has anyone ever taken a Rex apart? Maybe posted pictures? I'm curious about what makes it tick...

Edit: technical data and cell findings in post 29.

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
Re: My curiosity got the better of me: ordered Photon Rex

I carry one in my front pocket every day, I love the Rex.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someone did open one up and take pictures shortely after they were released but I can't find it at the moment. I believe it was in the LED light section and not the reviews section.

The charging method is a bit different and most likely a deterent to an average user. The runtime is short if it is used at full power (I think 15-20 minutes). If a user expects the full brightness level for long runtime they will be disappointed - but if it is used at a moderate level for typical task work, it can provide very useful runtime.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how bright the ReX is on high. And the low, especially if fired up from low rather than ramped down from high, is very very low. I've had one since Christmas and it's been a fun light. Only charged it once, using a AA NiMH, and it did fine. It pulsates dimly until charging is complete in about 2 hrs. I think it's a good buy for $20. I'll bet you end up using it a lot more than you expect.

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I'm pretty sure mine has DS Nichias, but I think it's older stock. I've heard the newest do use GS.

I wonder if LRI has any plans for a redesign. I love being able to start on low, and wouldn't want to give that up, but I like having a red LED like my Proton and Proton Pro. If you could do something like a double click to enter the red mode maybe the best of both would be available. Then they could stick a 3mm red in the middle of the four whites in the ReX without adding much to its width.

Geoff

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carry one in my front pocket every day, I love the Rex.
+1

Flying Turtle said:
...I love being able to start on low, and wouldn't want to give that up, but I like having a red LED like my Proton and Proton Pro. If you could do something like a double click to enter the red mode maybe the best of both would be available. Then they could stick a 3mm red in the middle of the four whites in the ReX without adding much to its width.
I was used to carrying a Photon Freedom in my pocket, so I think a smaller "mid-size" 3-LED version with two white, one 3mm red in the middle would be great if they changed the UI like you suggest. Maybe three or four quick clicks (two clicks is an often used "on-off") to toggle between:
1) click for high white, then ramp down; hold for low red (like the Proton is today)
- and -
2) click for high white, then ramp down; hold for low white

Plus add reversing ramping - every other time you press-holf for rampingit ramps the opposite direction.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm tempted to get one of these lights. I have a lot of partially discharged alkaline and CR123 batteries laying around that could probably be used to charge it.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's the charging current and maximum charge voltage? I remember the Rex having some trouble with high voltage during charge. I have a 3V plugpack that I'd like to repurpose as a Rex charger, but I'm not sure if the light can take the higher voltage (can't remember right now if the plugpack is regulated or not).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Don't know about the current, but photonlight.com is now saying, in bold print, to use 3v or less. In the early days apparently they said 6v and some folks burned up their lights. I think some retailers are still saying 6v.

I may just stick with 1.5v or 1.2v and not take a chance, even though I've got a few worn down CR123s begging to be used for something. I wonder if anyone has successfully used them with no problems?

Geoff

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. I probably won't risk it with the plugpack; even if it is regulated, it's dangerously close to the limit.
I might have an unregulated variable plugpack somewhere with a 1.5V setting. Even out of regulation that's only a maximum of 2.2V or thereabouts, so it should be safe.

JetskiMark

Enlightened

I have had two of them for 11 months so far with no problems. Both have been on key rings the whole time.

My girlfriend uses hers all the time.

I always have a Fenix LOD CE with a 10440 in my pocket and a LunaSol 20 clipped to my pocket so mine does not see much use. When I do use it though, I think it is pretty decent for the size and price.

I have only used a AA NiMH to charge them. I charge them monthly regardless of use.

If one broke, I would definitely buy another.

Please post your thoughts to this thread when you get yours.

dtsoll

Enlightened

Geoff, where can you get one for twenty bucks? Just may have to order one. Thanks! Doug:)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Get 'em while they're hot at CFR Lights- $19.95 (free shipping)

Geoff

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two questions:

1) roughly how many full charge cycles can one get out of, say, an Eneloop AA?

2) this is most likely going to stay a purely theoretical idea, but I'm thinking of how the Rex would be if one were to open it, remove the four LEDs, join the connections in parallel and solder on a single unreflectored Cree. Wouldn't a single Cree, driven at around 160mA, be more efficient than four Nichia GS driven at 40mA each? (I don't actually know how hard the Rex drives its four Nichias, so I'm guessing)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have one but looking at the photos it'll be a pain to fit a cree in there, plus you have no protection for the dome, which apparently falls off relatively easy.

Energizer say their alkaline D has 13 AH at 250ma, and photon say a D can recharge for 20 times. So an eneloop can do maybe 3 or 4?

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, it'd be a royal pain to fit a Cree in it, which is why the question is purely theoretical. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

This is from CFRlights.

When charging from disposable alkaline batteries, LRI estimates approximately 2 full charges from a typical AA, or 20 charges from a D battery. A single rechargeable NiMH AA battery will typically provide approximately 3 full charges of the ReX per charge.

I've not tried to verify this yet.

Geoff

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Rex is here.
I hooked it up to my bench power supply set at 1.3 volts; it started drawing some 80 mA, then slowly went down to 50, and has now been flashing and drawing 50mA for the past two hours. This is not how it should work. :/

I now connected it to a Hybrio NiMH, let's see what happens.

Edit: about friggin' time it stopped flashing... I was getting seriously worried!

Apparently I underestimated how long it takes to charge fully.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Using a NiMH for charging, my ReX has always taken at least 2 hrs. for a recharge. Trying a worn out CR123 it blinked very dimly for longer before I gave up. I suppose it did drain a bit more from that battery, but I'm not sure. It seems to like a charged up NiMh the best.

Geoff