Question from newb on Dorcy flashlight

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
Complete newb here. Tried to post this a couple days or so ago, but can't seem to find it now. Apologies if this is a duplicate post.

Any experience with or opinions regarding this flashlight?:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Dorcy_180_Lumen_Submersible_LED_Light.php

180 Lumens and submersible would be a good combination for me. I've seen Dorcy lights in Target (I think) before and, honestly, can't say that the surface impression was all that great. Didn't seem all that solidly built. I haven't used one, though, so am not really confident in that opinion.

While I have you, what about brightguy.com, any experience with them as a vendor?

Additional ideas/suggestions regarding flashlights with similar levels of light output that are also waterproof would be welcome. (Waterproof not 100% necessary, but would be ideal).

Thanks,
StumpWater

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
My use of this or another flashlight: I'm out in swamps and other wet areas pretty often at night.

I found another thread that gave pretty good reviews to a different Dorcy flashlight (a 220 lumen, non-waterproof light).

Thanks for any feedback you or others can give on this flashlight, Dorcy overall, brightguy.com, or other good internet light vendors.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
For that price I would probably get something else and would also stay away from AAA lights. I would recommend a Fenix AA or Cr123 light.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Get this, this or this light instead. Much better price-quality ratio, will last longer on a set of batteries, Fenix quality and waterproof enough for use in swamps. Just don't click the switches when the light is submerged and you'll be fine.

DavyBoy4

Newly Enlightened
I agree with fenix lights i have the tk11 myself and is a very good light with not bad run-times i run mine on 1 18650 even low mode is bright enough outdoors when u r in total darkness and max mode puts out 225 lumens.

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
This is great feedback, thanks very much!

That TK11 looks very nice ..........

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
Interesting to me that the beam shots for the TK11 (comparing the high output mode to the regular output mode) seem to show that you mostly get more peripheral lighting as opposed to a stronger central beam.

Apologies if I'm weak on my knowledge and/or terminology ... I'm just now starting to be more organized about what I'm looking for in flashlights, learning how to look at what they can do, etc.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Interesting to me that the beam shots for the TK11 (comparing the high output mode to the regular output mode) seem to show that you mostly get more peripheral lighting as opposed to a stronger central beam.

:welcome:

Dont let white wall beam shots fool you, especially ones that are not stepped down to illustrate brightness differences. They can be very misleading. It takes a knowledgeable photographer to effectively illustrate the differences.

This pic below illustrates 2 lights that look nearly identical, in terms of overall brightness, spot intensity and beam projection.
dscn0377gp3.jpg

Out in the field however they are night and day different...

Same 2 lights at 50 yards.
dscn0369fe0.jpg

dscn0370eu8.jpg

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
Which of the two lights is which (in the second two shots)?

I'd guess the light on the left is the light on the bottom ... but that's only based on seeming to see more whiteness in the light on the right (and therefore concluding that it's not the light on the bottom, which seems to be less white).

Thanks for the reply and insight.

drewskey

Newly Enlightened
StumpWater,

I ordered the Dorcy after looking around for a good backup light for diving. If you browse diving forums, there are lots of reviews and discussions about this light. All positive except the crappy lanyard - who cares? I use it both topside and underwater. It is a thrower by far. I actually used it to look for my missing dog out in the field last night. It does use 6 AAA, but hey, they are cheap and you can find them anywhere. It has a double o-ring behind the bezel, which for your water activities would be great. Highly recommended.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Which of the two lights is which (in the second two shots)?

I'd guess the light on the left is the light on the bottom ... but that's only based on seeming to see more whiteness in the light on the right (and therefore concluding that it's not the light on the bottom, which seems to be less white).

Thanks for the reply and insight.

you guessed it right... Beam on the right is the spot-thrower.

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
Good to know, drewskey, thanks!

I actually ordered the Fenix TK11 R2 from brightguy about an hour or so ago, but could easily see myself wanting (Oops! I mean "needing", right?) a second light. The Dorcy is truly waterproof, so that might be the one.

I'm starting to have an uneasy feeling about this whole getting interested in flashlights thing ..........

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
OK, my TK11 R2 arrived via UPS earlier ... very nice! Have now spent a bit of time in my room with no lights on comparing it to a few other lights I have (an Inova XO3 and a River Rock that is supposed to give 136 lumens, but, I think, doesn't). The TK11 is a major upgrade over both, I'm very glad I bought it. Can't wait to get out in the field with it.

StumpWater

Newly Enlightened
OK, here goes a very casual review of a few lights:

Turns out Dorcy did not cancel an order that I had placed for their 180 lumen dive light and a 220 lumen flashlight (not waterproof or resistant). So I now have three new lights.

I'm really glad Dorcy did not cancel the order! ... as both lights are excellent. I had the chance to use both the Fenix TK11 R2 and the 180 lumen Dorcy dive light Saturday night doing a long night hike (the 220 lumen Dorcy was in the charger, getting its first full 12 hr charge, so I couldn't bring it along). I used the 220 lumen Dorcy on a long, pre-dawn walk with my dogs this morning. Also a nice light. Solidly built, easy to use.

All three throw a nice long beam. Based on my unexpert side-by-side comparison, the Fenix is slightly superior to the Dorcy dive light in length and strength of beam, but not by much. Given that the Dorcy light is a dive light, safe down to 100m, and has a longer life between battery changes (comparing high output modes on both lights). The Dorcy 220 lumen has more area/spill light than the other two, a useful feature sometimes.

So: I'm pleased as punch with my three new lights, my first foray into the highish lumen world.

StumpWater