Is there P7 MAG Drop-in's?

gav6280

Enlightened
Is there anyone selling P7 single mode regulated drop ins for C or D Mag Lights?

Then i want to put the KD aspheric on....

DocD

Enlightened
yep there was a drop-in made by ElektroLumens but it wouldn't work with a KD aspheric lens ,and IMO the P7 don't work well with an aspheric.
you just end up with a big square die and not that bright but i'll have to build a P7 mag to find out cheers DocD

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So maybe better off with an ostar or mce then?

Doesn't matter if it is a MC-E, P7 or Ostar. When you use a multi-die emitter with a aspherical lens it will always looks strange.

rayman

CampingLED

Enlightened
Agreed, multi-die emitters are no-no to aspheric lenses.

Not confirmed, but I think this one from DX may fit in a Mag C/D.

gav6280

Enlightened
So to get a super bright thrower that looks good the best die for the job is still probably an R2 Then? Driven at around 1050 with some very good heat sinking and a large ish aspheric lens.

hmm, wonder how many years it will be before we see a single chip 1000+lm beast then.....

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So to get a super bright thrower that looks good the best die for the job is still probably an R2 Then? Driven at around 1050 with some very good heat sinking and a large ish aspheric lens.

Yes that's the same what I did. At first I also thought that a P7 with a aspherical lens would be an amazing thrower. Now I built my own thrower with a R2 and a aspherical lens like you can see in my signature :D.

rayman

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what happens when you put an aspheric lens on a P7

DSC00859.jpg

Not pretty is it :eek:

You do get a bigger projected image of the emitter
but it is not brighter than a single die emitter

Incase your all wondering, I just swapped the heads of my P7 Mag with my Q5 aspheric Mag

gav6280

Enlightened
Thank you for putting that up.

It looks like it's not much good for anything really.

So how hard can you actually drive a Q5, what will be the result of using one of the 1400ma drivers from dx if the heat sinking was good, for example a copper CPU cooler or even water cooling??

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how hard can you actually drive a Q5, what will be the result of using one of the 1400ma drivers from dx if the heat sinking was good, for example a copper CPU cooler or even water cooling??

A Q5 at 1400mA will get really hot I don't know if the very small increase of brightness is worth large increase of heat. I driven mine R2 in my aspherical Maglite at 1000mA. Anybody know more about a Q5 at 1400mA or higher?

rayman