Wanting to buy a Dereelight.. Just need help deciphering the options 0_o

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to the website after searching around on here for a while and decided it would be a very nice thrower. However I'm having trouble finding detailed information on.. er well anything.

On the products I've come to the conclusion that the DBS is the "brightest and longest reaching" thrower. If I'm wrong please slap me around.

Let pretend I'm right to finish this post, on the bottom I want a digitally regulated model, I want it to be the same brightness as long as I can.

I also "think" the Q5 is the best LED available from a couple of random posts while buying a PD30 Q5. Is that also right?

So is this (DBS V3 w/ 3SD Cree XR-E WC Q5 (SMO)) what I should be buying? Should I upgrade to R2.. whatever that is.

Then.. err I haven't found the lumen output.. or the expected runtime.

..Then, I would need to buy an 18650 battery and charger.

So, is this the brightest and longest running model?
Will using the rechargeable hinder the performance?
Where can I find some lumens and runtime info?

Thanks for any help. I guarantee I have searched, but if I missed the post that said it all, again, just slap me a little bit.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy,
I'll assume you've seen this:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=190999

The Cree R2 is a bit more efficient than the Q5, and don't forget to investigate the warm tint version (Q3 5A), as many folks feel it offers better depth perception and color rendition, although it is not quite as bright.

Of course there is also the new MC-E version, which is basically 4 of the other LEDs placed next to each other on 1 star. This is generally more floody, but from the beam shots I've seen, the DBS version is pretty amazing:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=187069

Don't be in a hurry, there will be LOTS of new lights coming out in the next few months, and half the fun is going to be seeing what our favorite manufacturers have put together for us.

By the way..... just in case you haven't seen it yet..... be sure and check out the CPF Welcome Mat, it's got tons of links to threads that will answer many of your upcoming questions:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172991

And Battery University.... very important info if you are going to become involved with rechargeable cells, as some varieties can be dangerous if used improperly:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
AND:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: let me go get some popcorn.

I'm going to read all of this and like you said, wait. I'm in no hurry. I guess I'll wait to see what comes.

..that was quick.

bigdaddy

Newly Enlightened
You might want to buy IMR18650 batteries from AW. They are safer than Li-Ion batteries. Correct me if I'm wrong. :wave:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still learning about the new IMR batteries. They do seem to offer some excellent advantages in certain high drain applications. For more info on those I'd check over in the Flashlight Electronics-Batteries Included forum:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9
And in AW's sales sales thread:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=184887

And for help deciphering which DBS light you might want (If that's what you decide on), FlashCrazy did a good job of breaking things down in his sales thread over in the dealers section of the CPF Marketplace. Here is an excerpt from that thread:

"Ok, I know there's a dizzying array of options for each light, and you may not be sure about what to order. I'll try to make more sense of it for you. All you really need to know is:

1) What type of batteries you plan on using (18650, CR123, or RCR123 <-- rechargeable 123)

2) How many light levels you want (Low/Med/High or just full-bright on/off)

3) What tint of LED you prefer.

Here are the options broken down:

3SD: 3 light output levels (Low/Med/High) 18650 or 17670 battery only.

3SM: 3 light output levels as above, uses 2 x CR123 or 2 x RCR123. Can use 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123 when optional extension tube is used). Will not work with a single 18650 or 17670. (Old version will, new version will not. Old version is labeled 3.0v to 9.0v, new version is labeled 4.6v to 12.0v)

1S: Single output level, just High. On/Off operation. 18650/17670 battery only.

1SM-2: Also single output level, just High. On/Off operation, but can take 2 x Cr123 or 2 x RCR123, single 18650/17670, OR 2 x 18650, 4 x CR123, 4 x RCR123 when using the optional extension tube.

So that just leaves your choice of emitter:
The R2 is the brightest option, and it has a cool/neutral white WC tint. The Q5 is also cool/neutral white, and is slightly less bright than the R2. You really won't notice the difference with the naked eye, they're really close to each other in brightness.

The 5A Q3 is a bit less bright, but has a really nice warm white tint to it. If you like the color of an incandescent light, and don't generally like LED lights, this one might surprise you.

So let's interpret a sample option, the 3SM 5A Q3:
3 = three light levels
SM = 2 x CR123 or 2 X RCR123, OR 2 x 18650, 4 x CR123 with extension tube
5A Q3 = the Q3 bin of a 5A tint emitter (warm white)

It's as simple as that... how many light levels you desire, what batteries you plan on using, and which color tint you want.
thinking.gif

3SD, 3SM and 1S = 1.2A emitter drive current
1SM-2 = 1.0A emitter drive current"
-----------------------------------
And finally, please don't let me dissuade you from purchasing a light now, it's just that I've found a bit of research can help folks get the most for their hard earned dollars. I will say though, that one of the nice things about the Dereelights is that they are upgradeable........ a VERY cool thing.

Last edited:

xpea

Newly Enlightened
Search,

first of all, the DBS is an excellent choice, the best for many of us. I recommend you the R2 WH pill with 3SD driver, which gives a nice tint (IMHO better than the yellowish 5A) and great output. OT, for years we were upset by yellow incand stuff, and now that we have nice neutral white LED, people want to come back to what we hated ? I really don't understand :poke:

Anyway... for the battery, many here recommend AW2200 but I have Samsung 2600 and 2800mah cells and I cannot be more pleased with it :cool: I tried today a 2800mah in my CL1H v4 Q5 WC 3SD (same circuit than DBS) and I got 1 hour 44 min runtime on high. Compared to 1 hour 25 with with AW2200, I think it's a valuable improvement.

For the charger, PILA IBS is the standard here.

Hope it helps and have good fun with your DBS :D
Xpea

electric sheep

Enlightened
Made a bit of a bloomer myself. Ordered a CL1H v4 and extension tube with R2 upgrade and the a day later realised the driver would not work with extension tube. I then ordered the right pill for $30 also R2 and now will have a light that will work with all combinations of battery:laughing: